Quantcast

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Was the N64 strategy the best way for Sega to return to the market? (Hypothetically)

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    My two questions for anyone wants a new Sega console:

1) What do you expect Sega to do that other companies aren't currently doing?
    2) Why would it be better to do that on original hardware rather than any of the three current consoles or smartphones?

They need a lot more than "new Sonic games" and reviving old IPs to make this work. Why should third parties support yet another console?

Otherwise I'd rather see Sega put their efforts into making software for the platforms we already have.
    Agreed. As much as I would truly love to see a new Sega console I just don't see what they could do differently or better than the tech and platforms that already exist. They have an incredible stable of IP's both past and present, but that will not be enough to put much of a dent in the competition. Their only hope would be if Sega engineers and developers could come up with some unique and wildly popular gimmick for a new console that really catches the public's imagination, such as the remote controls that Nintendo came up with for the Wii. However that is an extreme long shot to hope for.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

go here and suggest to Sega a new console, if you don't know japanese, open google translate, english on one side Japanese on the other. https://faq.sega.jp/hc/ja/requests/n...d=360000782393 translate and Sega Saturn 2 will happen.

My suggestion to you suggests to them.

- come later
    - stronger
    - cheaper
    - basically a SEGA N64 or GameCube.
    - being cheaper and stronger, there's no going to flop
    - console cannot be subsidized
    - need to merge high end gpu with some outdated element to balance the price.
    - graphics need to be superior to ps5 and xbox scarlett
    - no need to use ssd, use cartridges.
    - the game needs to be read straight from the cartridge
    - the console must have a control with 6 front buttons, and 2 analog
    - console needs up to 200GB flash memory for managing indie games and digital content

but finally, make your own suggestion, although I suggest this one.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

I rather they just bring back old IP's like they have been doing recently. We got Toejam and Earl. Shenmue. Virtual On. Puyo. Wonderboy. Streets of Rage. With Panzer Dragoon and House of the Dead coming soon. I want to see Skies of Arcadia and Virtua Fighter 6. Jet Set Radio. I want a Vanillaware developed Golden Axe with tthat art style. I'd be more than happy if they can do that and I can put them on my shelf.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Outrunner

If anyone wants to bring out a new console I want to see the Neo Geo strategy, something that costs $1000-1200 but offers performance way beyond anything else, like maybe it outputs to three 8k screens at once. I don't think price is necessarily the problem, look at what people are willing to pay for Apple products.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

If anyone wants to bring out a new console I want to see the Neo Geo strategy, something that costs $1000-1200 but offers performance way beyond anything else, like maybe it outputs to three 8k screens at once. I don't think price is necessarily the problem, look at what people are willing to pay for Apple products.
    And look how poorly 3DS sold in the beginning and PS3 in the beginning, PS Vita and early Xbox One sales for being considered too expensive. People are not spending that much on a console when a PC for that price would still give a better performance. Those people are not typically buying Apple crap. With the exception of the Vita, it was not until they started to lower the price that they sold better.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

SNK strategy = bankrupt (just like snk)

jokes aside, the only way to communicate and suggest something to Sega is through the link I posted, use it, ask Sega, suggest .. in any case you will receive an electronic message.

there should be another way to communicate with them, This story that the internet brings people closer to their rulers or companies is not necessarily true, it's a one-way river.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    And look how poorly 3DS sold in the beginning and PS3 in the beginning, PS Vita and early Xbox One sales for being considered too expensive. People are not spending that much on a console when a PC for that price would still give a better performance. Those people are not typically buying Apple crap. With the exception of the Vita, it was not until they started to lower the price that they sold better.
    You're right but all of those were intended to be mass market products, SNK knew their console would only appeal to a certain niche. If you're OK with only selling a million units then maybe it's a viable strategy, at least it would be something unique since no one is even trying to build a luxury console right now.

I know most won't agree but the 3DS is just about my favorite tech product of the last decade, especially the new version with the super stable 3D. Anyone who builds an updated version with a high resolution screen will get my money on day one.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

That won't work at all. Steam was trying to bring PC gaming into the console market with the Steam console, and the offerings from Alienware and Asus failed, because you could build a much better PC for the same price. Now we don't hear anything about the Steam machines, even though Gabe had a huge wallet to back the product.

PC gaming has become as popular as it has ever been, and the only advantage consoles have now is bang for the buck. They are pretty much better versions of Gabe's Steam machine. https://www.pcgamer.com/what-happene...team-machines/
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Clearly what Sega needs to do is a proper follow up to the Mega Drive (with backwards compatibility, unlike the Saturn).

:​P

Thread Information