Quantcast

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 230

Thread: Was the N64 strategy the best way for Sega to return to the market? (Hypothetically)

  1. #1
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Is the N64 strategy the best way for Sega to return to the market? (Hypothetically)

    That's it. the topic is hypothetical and I would like to hear from you whether you agree or disagree and what would be the best strategy in your opinion.

    IMO.

    The Nintendo 64 came in almost 2 years after the beginning of the generation, nintendo was just doing as it did with Super nes coming in later, bringing cheap hardware and in some parts very strong, see a multiplayer Mario Kart would not be possible without this power , the Golden Eye would not be remembered without that power, meaning the power and price of entering later made a huge difference.

    SEGA could do similarly, using this strategy, and for $ 300 offering a superior machine to the PS5 in 2021 going into 2022, this strategy does not make anyone market leader (let it be clear) but at least it prevents flop, ideal for those who are entering the market or returning, The biggest problem is not that Sega comes back in, it's they remain.


    Brace yourselves
    Last edited by SegaAMD; 10-09-2019 at 11:30 PM.

  2. #2
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    124
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    It's probably a necessity when you don't have the raw power (money) to fight for the leadership.
    Coming later in the generations has its advantages:
    -components are cheaper and you can have a better console spending less (and if you aim at a low range hardware like Wii or Switch, you can even profit already on dayone).
    -you can avoid the initial power struggle of the generation (Xbox and Gamecube coming later had an easy life compared to Dreamcast that came early and was the only rival of PS2).
    -you can better judge the generation and see where it's going and where there are the empty spots etc.

    For example arcade genre almost disappeared and MS, Sony and Nintendo just don't care, but it could be strong again, Sega could release a new cheap console like the Switch to support all these genres (arcade racers, shoot'em up and so on) while returning to its unique games of the Dreamcast era (like Jet Set Radio, Seaman etc).

    I think the market is now more open to consoles and games similar to Dreamcast.

  3. #3
    Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    984
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    The N64 should not be used as a model for anything. Nintendo lost a lot of its market share there (basically most of Japan, which was unimaginable a few years before).

    But these threads are always a bit silly because 1) Sega doesn't have the resources to release a $300 console more powerful than the PS5, and 2) They are way too pragmatic to risk the entire company on a long-shot competitor against Sony and Microsoft.

  4. #4
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    124
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    The N64 should not be used as a model for anything. Nintendo lost a lot of its market share there (basically most of Japan, which was unimaginable a few years before).

    But these threads are always a bit silly because 1) Sega doesn't have the resources to release a $300 console more powerful than the PS5, and 2) They are way too pragmatic to risk the entire company on a long-shot competitor against Sony and Microsoft.
    This is probably the worst aspect of the modern Sega, not risking anything even when developing games (no pain no gain).
    But in case of a new console, they should aim to Nintendo as a competitor, not at Sony and MS where you can't win if you don't have the same money.

  5. #5
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    The N64 should not be used as a model for anything.
    Nintendo proved to be a wiser company than Sega, never subsidized its consoles and always came in later, when entering later it is possible to know the directions of the gen, when saturn was launched Sega made a console with several characteristics, we know that the characteristic What prevailed was the 3D, Nintendo came with a slightly more mature 3D.

    when you enter later, you force a strong dispute between the two consoles that entered first and one cannibalize the other, the advantages are greater than we can philosophize.

    and finally a console with such features, come later and stronger, can never be ignored, because their games for more simple will be more beautiful and beauty attracts public, sucess. there are no losses, because there is no subsidy, only profit and positivity.

  6. #6
    End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    8,330
    Rep Power
    119

    Default

    The next gen PS5 and Xbox will probably have a slight upgrade version available a couple of years after launch, much like the ONE X and PS4 Pro. These new consoles are pretty much PCs now and we’ll probably see cut down versions of the same games available for the PS4 and Xbox One even after the PS5
    comes out.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  7. #7
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    5,164
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    Nintendo proved to be a wiser company than Sega, never subsidized its consoles and always came in later, when entering later it is possible to know the directions of the gen, when saturn was launched Sega made a console with several characteristics, we know that the characteristic What prevailed was the 3D, Nintendo came with a slightly more mature 3D.
    Sorry, Nintendo had to sell the 3DS at a loss when poor sales made Nintendo slash the price. The N64 only came out in '96' because of Hardware delays, the original plan launched date was '1995'.
    And yes going latter, with more powerful, better hardware worked wonders for the Master System and OG Xbox *RollsEyes*
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  8. #8
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    And yes going latter, with more powerful, better hardware worked wonders for the Master System and OG Xbox *RollsEyes*
    It's different situations Nintendo held the monopoly of the market at the time of Nes, Xbox OG was a rookie and outsell the GCN, this only happened due to the power. But xbox OG opposes the N64 strategy, GCN fits in with it.
    Must:
    1- enter later
    2- with a very powerful gpu-cpu
    3- use some technologically outdated element to balance the price.
    4- Selling at a low price

    It's the perfect tactic for Sega IMO, I have already emailed it to them several times, but unfortunately it was answered by those generic electronic messages if I had the opportunity to talk to a human there, we'd change the future of the industry.

  9. #9
    Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    3,686
    Rep Power
    61

    Default

    Once you know the reality of modern Sega, you won't care about if they somehow released a new console.

    Going 3rd party did not really work out for Sega. What happened is starting in 2005, every major developer at Sega started leaving the company one-by-one. First it was Yuji Naka, and then it eventually came to the point where Yu Suzuki left the company and he was the god damn Shiggy of Sega. So modern Sega is essentially a different company composed of mostly different employees. If Sega released a new console, it won't feel like a Sega console.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

  10. #10
    The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    My Chair
    Posts
    3,993
    Rep Power
    49

    Default

    The time for SEGA to make a new console was 2005-2006. Different company. No one but a small tiny number of people actually gives a fuck about the SEGA brand anymore. More than Atari or Intellivision and those two have the next Ouya level of failure on their hands. Nintendo was correct to abandon the power war. No point in having 3 of the same. Being different saved them. SEGA could not compete with MS or Sony's bank either with power. They would have to do a Nintendo and do something very different. You talk about power but guess which system is selling the least of the 3? It's Xbox One X. Right now the hottest selling system is a tablet. SEGA's window is long past gone. Now with Google trying their hand and Apple sorta. Coleco tried and it ended up being a scam. Atari VCS looks like a scam. Amico looks like a flop from day 1. It's just a crowded and confusing market. It's like the people who beg for the Attitude Era to come back in WWE. The landscape is entirely different. Different people. Society and culture and company. It just cannot happen. It will not happen. We are on the last console generation with physical games and they have already been made half pointless with installs and patches and updates. After PS5 it will be services and steaming and digital. Making a console pointless. It's done. Forget it. It will not happen.



    Life!? ... What console is that on?

  11. #11
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    What happened is starting in 2005, every major developer at Sega started leaving the company one-by-one. First it was Yuji Naka, and then it eventually came to the point where Yu Suzuki left the company and he was the god damn Shiggy of Sega. So modern Sega is essentially a different company composed of mostly different employees. If Sega released a new console, it won't feel like a Sega console.
    thankfully we can disagree and bring other points of view
    Yu and Yuji are sorely missed, but they are not SEGA, SEGA is much bigger than them, Rieko Kodama is there, Nagoshi is there, today's Sega is essentially a smarter company than before , We just don't see the games due to administrative restrictions, not for lack of creativity, Do you know how they can bring great games again? only them having their own hardware.

  12. #12
    Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vancouver
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,601
    Rep Power
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    The time for SEGA to make a new console was 2005-2006. Different company. No one but a small tiny number of people actually gives a fuck about the SEGA brand anymore. More than Atari or Intellivision and those two have the next Ouya level of failure on their hands. Nintendo was correct to abandon the power war. No point in having 3 of the same. Being different saved them. SEGA could not compete with MS or Sony's bank either with power. They would have to do a Nintendo and do something very different. You talk about power but guess which system is selling the least of the 3? It's Xbox One X. Right now the hottest selling system is a tablet. SEGA's window is long past gone. Now with Google trying their hand and Apple sorta. Coleco tried and it ended up being a scam. Atari VCS looks like a scam. Amico looks like a flop from day 1. It's just a crowded and confusing market. It's like the people who beg for the Attitude Era to come back in WWE. The landscape is entirely different. Different people. Society and culture and company. It just cannot happen. It will not happen. We are on the last console generation with physical games and they have already been made half pointless with installs and patches and updates. After PS5 it will be services and steaming and digital. Making a console pointless. It's done. Forget it. It will not happen.
    Coleco hasn't existed for a long time and had nothing to do with the Chameleon.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

  13. #13
    Underground Sega Nut BonusKun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,588
    Rep Power
    58

    Kiwi

    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    This is probably the worst aspect of the modern Sega, not risking anything even when developing games (no pain no gain).
    But in case of a new console, they should aim to Nintendo as a competitor, not at Sony and MS where you can't win if you don't have the same money.
    The difference in this is Nintendo was smart with their money even with the failed systems like the Virtual Boy and the Wii U. Nintendo right now could bleed money for many years and never go out of business. SEGA can't.

    @TA: Yes you're right the 3DS had a rough start but in the end they surpassed that later on and ended up making a ton of money off that handheld. Shit, Everytime a new Poke'mon was released it was the same as printing money for them. Nintendo has an iron grip on their IPs so yeah they know how to keep their coffers full.
    Last edited by BonusKun; 10-11-2019 at 11:31 PM.
    05/05/15

  14. #14
    HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,987
    Rep Power
    54

    Default

    Hello, Patrick

  15. #15
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    5,164
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    It's different situations Nintendo held the monopoly of the market at the time of Nes, Xbox OG was a rookie and outsell the GCN, this only happened due to the power. But xbox OG opposes the N64 strategy, GCN fits in with it.
    Must:
    1- enter later
    2- with a very powerful gpu-cpu
    3- use some technologically outdated element to balance the price.
    4- Selling at a low price

    It's the perfect tactic for Sega IMO, I have already emailed it to them several times, but unfortunately it was answered by those generic electronic messages if I had the opportunity to talk to a human there, we'd change the future of the industry.
    Like I said before, you should be a politician given your skill at not answering or addressing direction points and questions

    3DS had to be sold at a loss after poor sales (NCL even made a loss too) after poor sales of the 3DS made Nintendo act. So Nintendo have factially needed to sell a console at a loss, speaking of the 3DS if it was all about 'the power', the Vita should have won the Hardware battle quite easy, it's not like the Vita even had the worse battery life. You also look over how the original street date for the N64 was June of 95; Hardware delays meant the system needed to be pushed back (not Nintendo strategically planning 96) and we then had Nintendo putting 2-page ads trying to tell people to wait

    Don't give me the rookie stuff. You could have said that about SONY and they were able to crush both SEGA and Nintendo. The OG Xbox had the best domestic launch line up one had ever seen, it had a GPU and Sound chip that obliterated the competition, widespread 3rd party support, ease of development and even SEGA exclusives and it got killed in sales. Look at the Mega CD too (ok yes I know its a Add-on) it came latter than the PC Eng CD-Rom2 it did what you asked, much more powerful, a new CPU, new sound systems and even a new gfx chip and the PC CD-Rom2 killed the Mega-CD for sales. Do you really think the Mega Drive or 360 would have sold as well if they had given the Snes or PS3 a 2-year head start? If it was all about Power and having the best hardware latter then the Xbox One X should be, by all accounts the current best selling console each month


    There are lots of factors on what makes a console win outright. To me, SEGA didn't give people a reason to want the Saturn. When you saw Sonic on the MD you wanted that system, when one saw Crash 2 or GT on the PS you wanted it, seeing MGS 2 on the PS2 made me want it and for many seeing Gears on the 360 made then want it, same for Halo on the Xbox or Mario 64 on the N64. That's was SEGA really failed to do with both the Mega CD and Saturn and given some of SEGA staff screw up's I still think they would mess it up even with the best Hardware because SEGA was too busy making rival systems to its own hardware, never mind outside rivals and never had the sense like Nintendo, that the main Sonic Team had to be the ones to work on each new entry.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •