Quantcast

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Was the N64 strategy the best way for Sega to return to the market? (Hypothetically)

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

I thought the Xbox was green in a tribute to Mountain Dew, nectar of the gamers.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    I would not be against a purple. I'm like Vicki Vale. I love purple.
    *insert Neptune joke here*

No, seriously, kind of wishing this thing was a functional console :​P (click to zoom in)

Amusingly, in the Neptunia series that is the stand-in for what Sega would have been if they had stayed in the marketů So I guess Sega is purple now :​v For the record, it doesn't look like Sega started using blue heavily until CSK acquired them (their logo seemed to come in all sorts of colors before that).

WCPO Agent

If the new console is purple then I nominate Big the Cat to be the new Sega mascot. Have him sitting atop the logo with his fishing line, with that frog he hangs out with on the other side of it.

Or make Espio the new mascot, then your console can glow all different colors while you play.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

I feel that the topic has gone a little from its original purpose.

1- I presented the strategy that I think is perfect for SEGA to use in an unlikely comeback, which is to come in later, cost less and be stronger than its competitors, basically a modern SEGA's N64 / GameCube. It's perfect for return, no subsidy no money loss.

2 - I showed that Sega has a suggestion channel on its official website and I posted the link on page 8 (see there), so that you could do with me, reposting that same suggestion, as each of us is in different countries, so Sega would see that this is a global desire

Finally I called (and still call) each user who participated in the thread to join me in a kind of strategy so that together we try to bring SEGA back.

I ask each user to be reasonable, and say, I agree. So, we will create another topic where we will develop the strategy to draw SEGA's attention to us. In the world we live in we only have a voice if we are organized, it is the system's tool to achieve results.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    *insert Neptune joke here*

No, seriously, kind of wishing this thing was a functional console :​P (click to zoom in)

Amusingly, in the Neptunia series that is the stand-in for what Sega would have been if they had stayed in the marketů So I guess Sega is purple now :​v For the record, it doesn't look like Sega started using blue heavily until CSK acquired them (their logo seemed to come in all sorts of colors before that).
    A dpad? Yeah sure why not. I like the idea of a multi disc changer for games. I did like the Game.com being able to hold 2 carts at once.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    1- I presented the strategy that I think is perfect for SEGA to use in an unlikely comeback, which is to come in later, cost less and be stronger than its competitors, basically a modern SEGA's N64 / GameCube. It's perfect for return, no subsidy no money loss.
    I don't know if that's even possible anymore, the concept of console generations has shifted. Back in the '90s it took about 5 years for a manufacturer to come out with new hardware. Today you have the PS4 released in 2013, an upgraded Pro version in 2016 and the PS5 slated for 2020. For the XBox One it's also a 2013 release, the One S version in 2016, One X in 2017, plus a new version coming in 2020. Nintendo has been all over, with the still-supported 3DS in 2011, Wii U in 2012, New 3DS 2015, Switch 2017, Switch Lite 2019, Switch Pro coming in 2020.

If you were trying to do the mid generation update during this decade, when would you have done it?

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    I don't know if that's even possible anymore, the concept of console generations has shifted. Back in the '90s it took about 5 years for a manufacturer to come out with new hardware. Today you have the PS4 released in 2013, an upgraded Pro version in 2016 and the PS5 slated for 2020. For the XBox One it's also a 2013 release, the One S version in 2016, One X in 2017, plus a new version coming in 2020. Nintendo has been all over, with the still-supported 3DS in 2011, Wii U in 2012, New 3DS 2015, Switch 2017, Switch Lite 2019, Switch Pro coming in 2020.
    what defines a generation are the games and not the hardware, all these hardware upgrades run the same games, for example along with PS5 will come new games like Agni's Philosophy and others in the same league, that's generation change, not even voodoo will be able to run Agni's Philosophy on Xbox one X due to 6x weaker cpu, no SSD and other bottlenecks.

If you were trying to do the mid generation update during this decade, when would you have done it?
    I didn't understand this question

WCPO Agent

You said you wanted a console that comes out "later" and is stronger than the competition. I'm curious when "later" would be, since new hardware now comes out every couple of years. Although if you're counting generations by software and not hardware then maybe I'm the one not understanding.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

If you were trying to do the mid-generation update during this decade, when would you have done it?
    There is no Switch pro. No chip they can upgrade it with that would make it worth it. X2 isn't that big of a leap. Instead, Nintendo has been using an upgraded version of the X1 in ore recent sku's with a smaller die. Better battery life and Nintendo has already allowed developers to overclock the X1 in a boost mode.

There is no Tegra chips after that. Nintendo will just have to wait for the Ampere chip and while that comes out next year. Like Switch they will wait 2 years when it's cheaper and battery friendly. By then Switch will have served it's lifecycle and get a successor. Switch 2 in 2022. That chip would put it roughly on par with base Xbox One or PS4.

WCPO Agent

There is no Switch pro. No chip they can upgrade it with that would make it worth it. X2 isn't that big of a leap. Instead, Nintendo has been using an upgraded version of the X1 in ore recent sku's with a smaller die. Better battery life and Nintendo has already allowed developers to overclock the X1 in a boost mode.

There is no Tegra chips after that. Nintendo will just have to wait for the Ampere chip and while that comes out next year. Like Switch they will wait 2 years when it's cheaper and battery friendly. By then Switch will have served it's lifecycle and get a successor. Switch 2 in 2022. That chip would put it roughly on par with base Xbox One or PS4.
    Not that I can predict the future but there is a ton of speculation around a coming Switch Pro.
    What about the Tegra Xavier? https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/nvidia/tegra/xavier

I think Nintendo would be foolish to put off 4K support until 2022, but I guess we'll see.

Xavier is for cars only. It's not meant for anything mobile. It's a huge board and even if they got it small it would tear through the battery and also is just not set up to be a gaming chip. Then it would be a new system with a new CPU and not BC with previous Switch games.

Think of it this way. Nintendo cares a lot and I mean a lot about lighting in their games ever since Gamecube their games have had great lighting effects and integrate it in gameplay. Switch 2 may throw in a couple of RTX cores. So imagine portable gaming with ray tracing in 1080P. They would probably use it in clever ways as puzzles. Nintendo's hands are tied with where the chips are and they have a contract with Nvidia for 20 years. (They were with AMD previously for about 20 years) Unless by some miracle Nvidia gets the Ampere down to 4nm chip where we could have a portable PS4 Pro but pretty sure it's going to be 7nm.

You said you wanted a console that comes out "later" and is stronger than the competition. I'm curious when "later" would be, since new hardware now comes out every couple of years. Although if you're counting generations by software and not hardware then maybe I'm the one not understanding.
    In the strategy I submitted to SEGA via Link, I predicted a maximum of 19 months between the launch of PS5 and the launch of the hypothetical new console, GameCube arrived after 20 months compared to PS2. PS5 Pro cannot frustrate this strategy by a number of factors.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    I hope everyone here got the opportunity to save this ingenious picture for future use

Xbox is green because of the artist drawing up the logo only had a green marker on his desk. Not making that up. That's literally the only reason. It works tho. I love the color brands as well with the 3 systems. Sony is the new Blue (RIP SEGA systems) Nintendo is red. MS is Green. It's perfect. Tho I would not be against a purple. I'm like Vicki Vale. I love purple.
    Com'mon, theres electronic blue(Sony) and ocean blue(Sega)

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    I feel that the topic has gone a little from its original purpose.

2 - I showed that Sega has a suggestion channel on its official website and I posted the link on page 8 (see there), so that you could do with me, reposting that same suggestion, as each of us is in different countries, so Sega would see that this is a global desire

Finally I called (and still call) each user who participated in the thread to join me in a kind of strategy so that together we try to bring SEGA back.

I ask each user to be reasonable, and say, I agree. So, we will create another topic where we will develop the strategy to draw SEGA's attention to us. In the world we live in we only have a voice if we are organized, it is the system's tool to achieve results.
    A lot of us lack the motivation, we don't care about modern Yakuza-focused Sega. Honestly I feel like you're just wasting your time, Sega would rather choose to get into making Sega-branded dildos and vibrators than to return to the hardware business that almost killed them.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    A lot of us lack the motivation, we don't care about modern Yakuza-focused Sega. Honestly I feel like you're just wasting your time
    I have a feeling that we fell into a cartel and everything is combined, really, I believe that at 10,000% and there is a lot of evidence that points to that.

all Sega fans I've talked to inside and outside social media repeat the same arguments, among them that SEGA has no money, so I could see that the Sega fan deconstruction process was deep, I'm showing a different path Fans can be protagonists, I've seen it work in other cases like for example Sonic the Movie, it works.

I think the only way to make the plan viable is if the forum (not the people who compose it) embraced the idea, so we could go to step 2 which would be to denounce the downsides of this current market, large amount of open worlds games with empty worlds , Abusive DLCs, GaaS (game as service) and finally bring SEGA as an alternative, because it has short arcade games and a whole philosophy of its own. making this reach some Game journalist, who will publish thus beginning an effect that will culminate in the achievement of the goal.

I care deeply about Yakuza. It's a truly amazing series. Yakuza 0 is one of the best games I have ever played.

Thread Information