Quantcast

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Was the N64 strategy the best way for Sega to return to the market? (Hypothetically)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    No, it's a little over $1.2 million. Sega spent nearly $100 million on marketing the DC in North America alone.
    That's right, but as @TA commented Dreamcast costs were initially around 580kk, if SEGA releases an updated DC like, just add 63% inflation and some 40% to cover other cost increase

I don't understand haterism with N64 so much, GCN follows the same philosophy and is ovated, GameCube was unlucky, Xbox came using dvd, if xbox doesn't enter, the GCN would have been more successful than the N64,The truth is that the hardware represents half of the success, so a new Sega console using cartridge could surprise the competition.

Here the interview with EDGE even in 1998 console hardware development wasn't cheap

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

I don't have the numbers, but I believe proportionally Nintendo spent less on N64 / GCN / Wiiu than Sega spent on Dreamcast.
    Dreamcast was a high end console while wii U (Nov 2012) for example is equivalent to a 2006 console, If Sega makes a Dreamcast using the same Wii U philosophy, such a Dreamcast would be just a Nintendo 64 (96) using optical discs and VMU.

but what makes the project more expensive are games, whenever a console is not doing well in sales two things are done: the first, cancel the most important games the second go on to make almost indie simpler games. These two moves help balance the results, Sega games are arcade style, I believe they could make more creative games than these generic AAA's. The question then is: why don't they re enter? maybe, even with all those employees, there is no one to tell them this view that we are discussing here in this topic

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Didn't a Nintendo employee go form ArtX with former SGI employees? They might have had some existing contract or something to get a better deal on it's GPU. Nintendo until the Switch used its own API as well. GX and kept that API until Wii U which used GX2. Dreamcast used DX6. Also, I just said before Wii U R&D was nearly $400 million.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    That's right, but as @TA commented Dreamcast costs were initially around 580kk, if SEGA releases an updated DC like, just add 63% inflation and some 40% to cover other cost increase

I don't understand haterism with N64 so much, GCN follows the same philosophy and is ovated, GameCube was unlucky, Xbox came using dvd, if xbox doesn't enter, the GCN would have been more successful than the N64,The truth is that the hardware represents half of the success, so a new Sega console using cartridge could surprise the competition.
    I had the number backwards. Itís 37% inflation, or a little over 1.5% per year. $200 spent on a DC in 1999, would be like spending a little over $260 today.

I donít know where this KK stuff came from. Is that some foreign country term?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I had the number backwards. Itís 37% inflation, or a little over 1.5% per year. $200 spent on a DC in 1999, would be like spending a little over $260 today.

I donít know where this KK stuff came from. Is that some foreign country term?
    kk means million, so 580k is 580.000 580kk is 580.000.000. it's a term widely used in Brazilian web forums, I thought it was of international use, another term we use a lot is KKK, which means I'm laughing, but in North America I know it means something else.

580kk in this case is the amount of the total investment Sega made to bring Dreamcast (a nextgen console) to market in the early years.

I have values ​​already with inflation and updated for 2014 in Euro. ps2: 404 Xbox OG 393 xbox 360; 356 N64: 303 Wii 288 Dreamcast 284 GCN: 262

Ironically, Dreamcast is cheaper than N64 in proportion, but the difference is that Dreamcast was subsidized while N64 was sold at cost, perhaps even profitably. IMO the subsidy was what got Sega off the market, if the Japanese had prevented Peter Moore from selling Dreamcast at a loss, the story would be different.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

We just use M for Million and B for Billion. So, 100,000,000 would be 100M in North America.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

another term we use a lot is KKK, which means I'm laughing,

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Here the interview with EDGE even in 1998 console hardware development wasn't cheap

I had another magazine with the same interview where Irimajiri made the example of Dreamcast costing the same as launching a new car, lol
    Can't check it now if numbers were the same, I rougthly remember $300 (I wasn't that far), so probably yes, they are the same numbers.

But it confirm that the huge portion of that $500 were taken by software development and marketing, with only $50-80 to develop the actual hardware.

I don't see impossible numbers for current SegaSammy.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Unless Sega get a serious, and I mean serious, cash injection there is just no way they could afford to return to the console wars. I mean yes they could in theory but they would have to take a serious gamble to do so, and I just don't think it's a gamble worth taking in the current era of gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post

But it confirm that the huge portion of that $500 were taken by software development and marketing, with only $50-80 to develop the actual hardware.

That's in 1998. It costs the likes of SONY and Microsoft over a billion USA dollars to develop the likes of Cell or the GPU inside the Xbox One, thats even before one moves on to game production and PR.
    Sega Sammy hasn't got that sort of money these days, it's not like SEGA Sammy can even afford more than a few AAA console production these days.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    That's in 1998. It costs the likes of SONY and Microsoft over a billion USA dollars to develop the likes of Cell or the GPU inside the Xbox One, thats even before one moves on to game production and PR.
    Sega Sammy hasn't got that sort of money these days, it's not like SEGA Sammy can even afford more than a few AAA console production these days.
    Sega Sammy is a very wealthy company, but not in the same league as the big three.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Sega Sammy is a very wealthy company, but not in the same league as the big three.
    SEGA Sammy isn't able to compete with the likes of 3rd party studios like Ubisoft, 2K for High-end huge AAA productions. Never mind looking at a huge spend on R&D to develop a console, the huge spend to launch a console and their the massive spend to develope big AAA exclusives to make people actually want to buy your console. I love SEGA with all my heart, but at the moment even the likes of Capcom are ahead of SEGA for big AAA productions and a great engine
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post

One point that wasn't considered here is that Sega always uses proprietary hardware involving cpu and gpu manufacturers off-axis AMD-Intel-Nvidia. that now they are no longer in the red, and can seek investments from other partners and banks.
    What prevents Sega from re-entering this market is perhaps the lack of a board member to suggest this return, a good suggestion, strongly based, that's it.

but unfortunately the Sega directors living on the Olympus are inaccessible to fans, if they have planned something surely it will be a bad thing, because it doesn't come from the fan base, in Genesis mini they almost used At Games emulation.

One point that wasn't considered here is that Sega always uses proprietary hardware involving cpu and gpu manufacturers off-axis AMD-Intel-Nvidia.
    Nothing really proprietary about the Master system CPU the Mega Drive CPU, The Saturn's CPU's or the DC CPU or it's GPU (other than some small customisation to shrink them down to fit in a small console box).

What prevents Sega from re-entering this market is perhaps the lack of a board member to suggest this return
    I think its more because SEGA doesn't have a multi-million selling IP other than Sonic and not enough to sell a console to the masses. I love SEGA but if one looks at the AAA multi million-selling brands this gen from 3rd parties SEGA is nowhere. Capcom could make more of a case for launching its own console based on their exclusives, given the huge sales of Monster Hunter World, RE 7, DMC V.

SEGA needs to make case for making its own console, by showing it can develop multi AAA games enough to warrant people looking to buy a console for SEGA games. I will say though this gen as been the best for SEGA Japan since the OG Xbox days for really good console games, now Sammy seen backing mobile phone games so heavily was a cock up
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information