Quantcast

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Was the N64 strategy the best way for Sega to return to the market? (Hypothetically)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    That's in 1998. It costs the likes of SONY and Microsoft over a billion USA dollars to develop the likes of Cell or the GPU inside the Xbox One, thats even before one moves on to game production and PR.
    Sega Sammy hasn't got that sort of money these days, it's not like SEGA Sammy can even afford more than a few AAA console production these days.

Of course, also Dreamcast wasn't a cheap console, it was made to rival Sony.
    A new Sega console should be made cheap to rival just Nintendo, so costs would be way lower.

Out of curiosity I found this:

Nintendo spent $527 million in R&D 2017 on the following:

-Nintendo Switch games and hardware - Zelda: Breath of the Wild, 1-2 Switch, JoyCons/Switch Pro Controller, etc
    -Smartphone games - Miitomo, Super Mario Maker, Fire Emblem Heroes
    -New 3DS games and hardware
    -Nintendo Account and My Nintendo infrastructure
    -New Amiibo
    -NES Classic Edition
    -New QoL device
    Now Nintendo is famous to have high R&D costs every year, but in this example the $527 milion figure include the launch of 3 console (Switch, New Nintendo 2DS XL and the Nes classic) services and all the games.

Actually Sega have R&D expenses for $550 million this year, with a forecast of $600 million in 2020 (thanks to packaged games being strong, so they'll launch more games).

Basically we are spending the same money as Nintendo, and we got no console (apart the Mega Drive Mini)
    That's depressing, I hope I misread the data
    Last edited by Virtua Hunter; 10-16-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    Of course, also Dreamcast wasn't a cheap console, it was made to rival Sony.
    A new Sega console should be made cheap to rival just Nintendo, so costs would be way lower.
    (
    To me, that wouldn't be a SEGA console. SEGA was always about being on the cutting edge.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

That's in 1998. It costs the likes of SONY and Microsoft over a billion USA dollars to develop the likes of Cell or the GPU inside the Xbox One, thats even before one moves on to game production and PR.
    Sega Sammy hasn't got that sort of money these days, it's not like SEGA Sammy can even afford more than a few AAA console production these days.
    Sony and MS have AMD doing most of the R&D for the CPUs and GPUs in PS4, XB One, One X, PS5 and Xbox Next. Sony pretty much got out of developing their own hardware, after the massive losses they took from the Cell and BR hardware.

SEGA used the same approach with the Dreamcast. They got other companies to come up with CPU and GPU design and then put it to R&D to make use of that hardware.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

To me, that wouldn't be a SEGA console. SEGA was always about being on the cutting edge.
    I totally agree, every time I read things like Sega releasing a gimmicks-based console wii like, I get a little breathless. My suggestion based on the N64 / GCN strategy is to balance cutting edge with price a perfect anti flop strategy.

saturn had a lot of chips to create what we might call a gpu, Dreamcast cpu was a Hitachi SH4 and GPU PowerVr2 Nec/Imagination Tecnologies, a modern Sega console would use alternative brands and avoid Intel and AMD to customize VDP.

about the million sellers games I humbly disagree, SegaSammy sales are higher than CSK-Sega sales, Mega Drive has about 10 million seller games, but Sega only is Sonic, Altered beast and Street Of Rage if I remember correctly, on Saturn only 3 games were million sellers VF2, Sega Rally and Grandia, at Dreamcast Sonic Adventure, NFL2k, Shenmue, Crazy Taxi; Today Sega has the franchise Yakuza, Persona, Bayonetta (licensed by N) Sonic, Total War and Alien they sell very well. adding up all these franchises something good can happen.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

The cutting edge technology was always an exclusive of Sega arcade boards.
    If we see the consoles

-Master System was way better than NES
    -Game Gear two generation ahead of that junk Game Boy

but

-Mega Drive was in theory weaker than Snes
    -Saturn weaker than PSX
    -Dreamcast weaker than PS2

It's their wise hardware solutions and stellar Sega software that made the difference so:

-Mega Drive had blast processing, Sonic was a next generation game compared to a good part of Snes library
    -Saturn had high resolution that PSX discovered very very late, some advantages in 3D (Panzer Dragoon Zwei/Saga) and no rival in 2D.
    -Dreamcast had one of the best video quality of the 128 bit era, and its texture quality was unavailable on PS2, only Xbox and Gamecube could rival. Also DC had some impressive tech behind the Power VR...

In the end it's not how much you spend, it's how you spend.
    I believe that Sega (especially if they call back Hideki Sato and the old hardware team) could manage to make a brand new console with wise hardware solution that could be cheap, flexible and that could made profit since D1.

If they can find this balance, they can re-enter the hardware business.
    Last edited by Virtua Hunter; 10-16-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Sega has IPs just as strong as the likes of Capcom. They just have to actually make an effort and look to their past, instead of whoring out Sonic to every guy on the block at every opportunity.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Sega has IPs just as strong as the likes of Capcom. They just have to actually make an effort and look to their past, instead of whoring out Sonic to every guy on the block at every opportunity.
    Sega has strong IPs, but there are two factors, the first is how they exploit these IPs, you can see, Sega launches several smaller IPs to profit while Capcom bets on AAA with a lot of marketing, that's just an administrative view on their part. Second, the importance of Sega IPs is directly related to exclusivity and proprietary hardware, Judgment is a game that would sell much better on a SEGA console. I'm pretty sure Mario Odyssey would sell less if it was a multplat game.

In a hypothetical fantasy scenario where SEGA is crazy enough to re-enter the console market, a low-priced console would be the only "sensible" choice.

Provided it has awesome 1st party games, I would personally buy a $99 SEGA Box in a heartbeat.

I would agree , but Monster Hunter World has sold better on its own than every SEGA game combined this gen . So far DMC V already on 2 million and RE 7 is over 6 milion . Huge figures, I think even Namco have bigger sales than SEGA .
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    The cutting edge technology was always an exclusive of Sega arcade boards.
    If we see the consoles

-Master System was way better than NES
    -Game Gear two generation ahead of that junk Game Boy

but

-Mega Drive was in theory weaker than Snes
    -Saturn weaker than PSX
    -Dreamcast weaker than PS2

It's their wise hardware solutions and stellar Sega software that made the difference so:

-Mega Drive had blast processing, Sonic was a next generation game compared to a good part of Snes library
    -Saturn had high resolution that PSX discovered very very late, some advantages in 3D (Panzer Dragoon Zwei/Saga) and no rival in 2D.
    -Dreamcast had one of the best video quality of the 128 bit era, and its texture quality was unavailable on PS2, only Xbox and Gamecube could rival. Also DC had some impressive tech behind the Power VR...

In the end it's not how much you spend, it's how you spend.
    I believe that Sega (especially if they call back Hideki Sato and the old hardware team) could manage to make a brand new console with wise hardware solution that could be cheap, flexible and that could made profit since D1.

If they can find this balance, they can re-enter the hardware business.
    Every console as it's good and bad points . I wouldn't agree the Saturn was less powerful than the PS or that the SNES was better than the MD in all aeras.

Looking over all that in the SEGA enterprises era SEGA looked to fill their consoles with the best tech they could afford and always looked to push the boat out with all its consoles .

Nintendo isn't quite like that and you can see how the different SEGA and Nintendo were in SEGA embrace of Online gaming or SEGA didn't care if it's games will fully voiced and had full 1000 piece orchestras providing the music

SEGA would be better off IMO making mini Consoles and Astro Arcade sticks full of their best Arcade games and console games . Isn't it time we had a Model 3 collection , System 32 collection or Chinhiro collection.

I also like to see SEGA team up with Yu GOD Suzuki and make a sequel to PowerDrift
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I would agree , but Monster Hunter World has sold better on its own than every SEGA game combined this gen . So far DMC V already on 2 million and RE 7 is over 6 milion . Huge figures, I think even Namco have bigger sales than SEGA .
    That proves nothing except what I already said. That Sega are not utilising their own IPs effectively. They have a treasure trove in the form of their home gaming and arcade past, and all they can seemingly come up with is more and more fucking Sonic games!

That proves nothing except what I already said. That Sega are not utilising their own IPs effectively. They have a treasure trove in the form of their home gaming and arcade past, and all they can seemingly come up with is more and more fucking Sonic games!
    What it proves is Capcom have more multi million selling IP and where more people would be interested in their IP. PSO doesn't come close to Monster Hunter sales, Yakuza can't touch the likes of Resident Evil sales .

I can't see what major IP SEGA got that will makes the masses go nuts . Sammy has left too much of SEGA IP rot for far too long, even Virtua Fighter seems dead these days.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

To be fair, the golden age for Sonic has come and gone. Now the games appear much less frequently and frankly don't have the same effort put into them. 1998-2011 were the best years, with a fun new game almost ever year.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    To be fair, the golden age for Sonic has come and gone. Now the games appear much less frequently and frankly don't have the same effort put into them. 1998-2011 were the best years, with a fun new game almost ever year.
    It's still sells over a million copies and makes SEGA money . And one of the very few SEGA IPs with wild spread recognition (please don't read that makes it good games ) Even IP like Football Manager and Total War is around a million copies or less.

It's sad to see how well Capcom have used Monster Hunter ( A rip off of PSO) to how little SEGA used PSO and I think SEGA as milked Sonic and Yakuza far too much tbh
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

And the systems Sonic sells best on....are Nintendo systems. That's the timeline we live in. The worst one.

Yakuza is still great tho. It's the best current running series they have. Y0 was my GOTY in 2017. Judgment is a GOTY contender for me. Sonic has had 3 worthwhile games in 20 years. All 3 Since 2010. Colors. Generations and Mania. (I like Adventure and Adventure 2 but I won't pretend they are good esp now) I'm not counting the Racing games as part of that. If we are then Transformed is the best Kart racer out there.

PSO and MH are pretty different games as well. That's an even larger reach than people who compare Shenmue to Yakuza even tho they are very different kinds of games.
    Last edited by SegataS; 10-16-2019 at 08:19 PM.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thread Information