Quantcast

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Was the N64 strategy the best way for Sega to return to the market? (Hypothetically)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    SEGA would need 3rd party support that rivals PS4 and I doubt that would happen.
    on the current context, a new Sega console would have all the third party support that xbox had and also japanese games.

on the historical context Sega would have the same support as it had in Dreamcast.

The second option is the most plausible, to compete against the playstation requires a project of two generations, first approach it, and the second, try to pass it, Playstation today is invincible and will continue to do so for countless years.
    Last edited by SegaAMD; 10-19-2019 at 09:27 PM.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    on the current context, a new Sega console would have all the third party support that xbox had and also japanese games.

on the historical context Sega would have the same support as it had in Dreamcast.

The second option is the most plausible, to compete against the playstation requires a project of two generations, first approach it, and the second, try to pass it, Playstation today is invincible and will continue to do so for countless years.
    The one advantage Sega has is a huge fanbase of indie developers who have made homebrew games on the SMS and MD plus color hacks, new music, etc. I think they ought to be reaching out to these independent studios and providing them with all the support they can, plus getting their games onto the SG Mini.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

They are. Shenmue. Sonic Mania. Streets of Rage. Wonder Boy. House of the Dead. Panzer Dragoon are from indie studios.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    My two questions for anyone wants a new Sega console:

1) What do you expect Sega to do that other companies aren't currently doing?
    2) Why would it be better to do that on original hardware rather than any of the three current consoles or smartphones?

They need a lot more than "new Sonic games" and reviving old IPs to make this work. Why should third parties support yet another console?

Otherwise I'd rather see Sega put their efforts into making software for the platforms we already have.
    Yep. I'd only add that I don't believe Sega has enough in-house talent to support a console anymore. Digital distribution across a variety of platforms would be a boon to Sega if it could pump out the hits regularly as it did with Dreamcast, but that's just not happening. A console unto itself would just make for an even smaller audience for the trickle of games Sega puts out these days.

WCPO Agent

They are. Shenmue. Sonic Mania. Streets of Rage. Wonder Boy. House of the Dead. Panzer Dragoon are from indie studios.
    Yes and that's all well and good but I think they should be trying to fund those teams to make new IPs for either the SG Mini or a hypothetical new console.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    Yep. I'd only add that I don't believe Sega has enough in-house talent to support a console anymore. Digital distribution across a variety of platforms would be a boon to Sega if it could pump out the hits regularly as it did with Dreamcast, but that's just not happening. A console unto itself would just make for an even smaller audience for the trickle of games Sega puts out these days.

Game creation is done by many professionals, today there are more of them in the market than at the time of Dreamcast

I see that you underestimate the non-famous programmers, as if they couldn't create games as good as the famous programmers, the truth is that the difference between indie studios and AAA studios is in the amount of people and the budget applied to games, Bend Studios only made small games, Sony just injected investments and they made Days Gone an AAA game, not bad for a studio that only dealt with smaller projects. Sega today possibly has more studios than they had at the time of nine #AM. Just by owning Atlus, it's amazing how it increases the gaming portfolio. That's why Sega Sammy is to be congratulated, they have managed to mix proprietary franchises with franchises they have acquired and this has generated profits, profits that CSK Sega couldn't generate.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

It takes hundreds to make games now and it's almost unheard of that a game is done 100% in house. A lot of engines and all sorts of shit is outsourced. Unreal is now widely adopted by Japan. That's royalties to pay. Nintendo is not even fully in the house many of their games. Luigi's Manson 3 is done by a western studio. Links Awakening was done by Grezzo and the anime intro from an animation company. MS needed help so they just bought a bunch of studios because they can throw money around. Sony went and bought Insomniac. SEGA is literally too small to keep up with even Nintendo let alone Sony and MS. Nintendo is the smallest of the 3 and they only survive because of good partnerships like Hal/Intelligent Systems. Platinum. Grezzo. Next Level and such. They can't buy all these studios. MS can buy a bunch. Sony can get some as well. SEGA? Sure smaller indie studios for smaller games like SOR or Panzer Dragoon but those are niche games in this day and age.

SEGA doesn't have the manpower or the money to throw around to keep both a console and big released coming out several months out of the year.

I contacted them through Twitter, I asked to speak with someone important, but as I said, none of these companies accept suggestions for anything. neither for advertising campaigns, nor for new products because they fear that the person later wants to receive something.

Then they give me the link I posted on Pag 8, it's a official link to send suggestions indirectly to Sega. I ask as a fan that I am, come in and suggest the return of the company and indicate the strategy I mentioned in this topic. If too many messages get there not only asking but showing how they can do it, the chances increase. If we don't suggest new Sonic games, we will have to be content with what they will arbitrarily do. If we don't suggest new console, we will play Mega drive until the end, not that it is bad, but Sega can do more.
    IGN made a list of the top 100 games, and didn't put in a single Sega game. Sega is part of the gaming industry history.
    This is not right.

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    I contacted them through Twitter, I asked to speak with someone important, but as I said, none of these companies accept suggestions for anything. neither for advertising campaigns, nor for new products because they fear that the person later wants to receive something.

Then they give me the link I posted on Pag 8, it's a official link to send suggestions indirectly to Sega. I ask as a fan that I am, come in and suggest the return of the company and indicate the strategy I mentioned in this topic. If too many messages get there not only asking but showing how they can do it, the chances increase. If we don't suggest new Sonic games, we will have to be content with what they will arbitrarily do. If we don't suggest new console, we will play Mega drive until the end, not that it is bad, but Sega can do more.
    IGN made a list of the top 100 games, and didn't put in a single Sega game. Sega is part of the gaming industry history.
    This is not right.
    DO you know how many messages a day these companies get from fans? What makes you special that they would answer? Do you not realize no one working at SEGA HQ runs their twitter? They hire a PR guy/firm to run their social media. They are not there to read your forum topics. They are there to promote products and not much else. Also who fucking cares what IGN thinks. It's IGN. Mainstream game journalism makes dumb top game lists and 90% of the time it's the same games over and over and more often then not it's recent highly rated trendy AAA games. It's better to watch something like Giant Bomb ranking of fighters. They spend 2 hours on video playing a fighting game or two the last few years as a recurring series and at the end of the video, they decide where they rank the fighting game on their list. They have a lot of old school and new school. Obscure and not so obscure. Sure it's not 10 pages to click through to get over with in 5 minutes but it's a lot mroe in depth. Ok yeah it's only fighting games but still better than any stupid list farted out for ad revenue. (I don't know if you need premium to see tho) https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/rank...035/free-video

WCPO Agent

No company will take suggestions for new products, they are too afraid of getting sued if you claim they stole your idea. The funny thing is Sega has a new console right now with the SG Mini, so why didn't they make it so you can buy new games, imagine an eShop where you can order titles like Tanglewood and Xeno Crisis (provided the developers are interested of course). Then they'd have a console with new software and not just a nostalgia machine.

I really hope the Intellivision Amico does well because maybe that will inspire other companies to take a stab at consoles. Their goal is to focus on 2D games and multiplayer, which is exactly what Sega could be doing with the SG Mini.

Ever since Sega left the hardware business (circa 2002), I knew they had made the best decision they could, ahead of Nintendo and Sony who are shackled to their respective hardware. At the time, computer hardware was quickly becoming a commodity (around the time of the disastrous HP-Compaq merger). Specialized hardware just didn't offer any real advantages anymore, and trying to compete in a commodity marketplace would have been extremely difficult and siphoned money away from talent.

Instead, they let the remaining companies duke it out and profit from it. That is how we got amazing talent producing amazing games over the past 20ish years.

Even David Rosen himself thought that Sega had always been a talent company, not a hardware company, and therefore had no real reason to make hardware when there were other companies willing to do it for them. It's like a film production company that insists on making its own cameras. It just doesn't matter.

The Dreamcast 2 exists, is platform-neutral, and more accessible and powerful than ever. There are no advantages to having a dedicated hardware platform in 2019. Even in the '90s, Sega was expanding onto PC with ports, but PC technology just wasn't there.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

I don't agree.
    It's easy to say this now that the console market is healthy thanks mainly to what PS4 has done this generation, and that PC market (who is just a secondary market for console portings, sorry but that's true) see the same benefits, but people forget that at the end of the previous generation, console market was finished and Sega with it (I remember some fools "fanboys" at the time that were happy to Sega to become a smartphone company and "finally" exiting the console business, how pathetic).

The previous generation was probably one of the worst, MS, Sony and Nintendo screw things up with 360, PS3 and Wii and almost destroyed the console business, every third party developer suffered because of this, Sega included that had a mediocre output, probably the worst in its history.

Things could've been way better if there was a Dreamcast 2 (for us Sega fans of course and for everyone else), after all it was always Sega that taught and shown other companies the best way to follow in the industry.

Think about it, this generation we got lucky with the success of PS4 and we received games like Yakuza series back, Valkyria returned on console, the miracle Shenmue 3, even Sakura Taisen is making a return...

But we can't count on success of others consoles to have the best Sega games, what if the next generation fails?

When you have your own consoles, you ALWAYS receive the best games (Saturn was a failure and still has some of the best Sega games ever made on it), because you can't do otherwise.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Ever since Sega left the hardware business (circa 2002), I knew they had made the best decision they could, ahead of Nintendo and Sony who are shackled to their respective hardware. At the time, computer hardware was quickly becoming a commodity (around the time of the disastrous HP-Compaq merger). Specialized hardware just didn't offer any real advantages anymore, and trying to compete in a commodity marketplace would have been extremely difficult and siphoned money away from talent.

Instead, they let the remaining companies duke it out and profit from it. That is how we got amazing talent producing amazing games over the past 20ish years.

Even David Rosen himself thought that Sega had always been a talent company, not a hardware company, and therefore had no real reason to make hardware when there were other companies willing to do it for them. It's like a film production company that insists on making its own cameras. It just doesn't matter.

The Dreamcast 2 exists, is platform-neutral, and more accessible and powerful than ever. There are no advantages to having a dedicated hardware platform in 2019. Even in the '90s, Sega was expanding onto PC with ports, but PC technology just wasn't there.
    Like a film company insisting on making their own cameras. Good analogy. I like that.

At the end of the day Sega may not ever make another piece of hardware ever again, but they did give us the greatest games console of all time 30yrs ago in the form of the Mega Drive. A console that I still play and collect for to this day. You can't top perfection so why bother trying?

DO you know how many messages a day these companies get from fans? What makes you special that they would answer? Do you not realize no one working at SEGA HQ runs their twitter? They hire a PR guy/firm to run their social media. They are not there to read your forum topics. They are there to promote products and not much else.
    You are probably right. Perhaps SEGA directors do not operate their own Twiiter, just as celebrities and some politicians do not operate their Twiiter directly.

A truth needs to be told, when we send suggestions via the link I posted on Pag 8, you are answered with an electronic message, there really is no way to know if they read it, maybe it's just a strategy to make it look like we have access to them when In fact, we do not have.

They say social media has brought fans closer to businesses, celebrities, politicians, but it's actually a one-way street, only they promote themselves, if someone posts insistently they silence the user.

It makes me wonder how I can get my essay to reach their hands. A company cannot be influenced, a person can, a conversation with the right person is enough, maybe a director, from the sector of R & D.
    Last edited by SegaAMD; 10-21-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    No company will take suggestions for new products, they are too afraid of getting sued if you claim they stole your idea. The funny thing is Sega has a new console right now with the SG Mini, so why didn't they make it so you can buy new games, imagine an eShop where you can order titles like Tanglewood and Xeno Crisis (provided the developers are interested of course). Then they'd have a console with new software and not just a nostalgia machine.
    I believe 100% that SEGA just doesn't come back, not because they have no money, but because they don't know how to make the return. sad but thruth.

Your idea is excellent and my theory proves, there are better ideas out there in the community than there in the company's R&D department. One of my ideas, which is in my essay, is Retro-Software, which are new games for retro hardware.

in the world there should be at least 10M people who enjoy the Sega brand, and at least 1M unconditional fans of the brand. Too many I have no doubt. If it were Coke they would make a themed soda if their fans asked.

Thread Information