Quantcast

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 222

Thread: Was the N64 strategy the best way for Sega to return to the market? (Hypothetically)

  1. #136
    Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,956
    Rep Power
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    I believe 100% that SEGA just doesn't come back, not because they have no money, but because they don't know how to make the return. sad but thruth.

    Your idea is excellent and my theory proves, there are better ideas out there in the community than there in the company's R&D department. One of my ideas, which is in my essay, is Retro-Software, which are new games for retro hardware.

    in the world there should be at least 10M people who enjoy the Sega brand, and at least 1M unconditional fans of the brand. Too many I have no doubt. If it were Coke they would make a themed soda if their fans asked.
    They don't WANT to come back to the hardware market. They're happy where they are and financially sound because of it. Even if they did want to it would be a hugely foolish gamble to make given their backing and resources when compared to the competition. In a perfect world Sega would still be making consoles today and would still be up there with their name in lights. Alas it's not a perfect world. Sega gave it their best shot in the 80's and 90's but ultimately had to throw in the towel. I love the company as much as you do but I'm just not sure what you're trying to prove or achieve here.

  2. #137
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    225
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    They don't WANT to come back to the hardware market. They're happy where they are and financially sound because of it.
    Please note: You seem to be bothered by this type of topic, so much so that you are even answering for them.

    We are in a forum where most are fans of Sega, there are people here who say that the DC is superior to PS2 at the technical level.
    But talking about Sega's return to the market is a taboo, I'm sure many users here are unaware of Sega's financial power, and confuse it with a small business. there are people who confuse xbox division with Microsoft, xbox has a limited budget. There are those who think Nintendo can't make a sophisticated nextgen console when nintendo is one of the richest company in the market.

    I'm glad that at least three users were more favorable in discussing the topic, after all this topic is highly hypothetical, so what will I do? I will focus on debating mainly with the three users who are more optimistic.

    all in this thread itīs hypothetical.

  3. #138
    Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,956
    Rep Power
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    Please note: You seem to be bothered by this type of topic, so much so that you are even answering for them.

    We are in a forum where most are fans of Sega, there are people here who say that the DC is superior to PS2 at the technical level.
    But talking about Sega's return to the market is a taboo, I'm sure many users here are unaware of Sega's financial power, and confuse it with a small business. there are people who confuse xbox division with Microsoft, xbox has a limited budget. There are those who think Nintendo can't make a sophisticated nextgen console when nintendo is one of the richest company in the market.

    I'm glad that at least three users were more favorable in discussing the topic, after all this topic is highly hypothetical, so what will I do? I will focus on debating mainly with the three users who are more optimistic.

    all in this thread itīs hypothetical.
    I seem bothered by the topic? lol not at all, I like these discussions too. I was just under the illusion that you were being deadly serious about the chances of Sega making a comeback to the console market. Now that I realise you are playing devil's advocate and just musing out loud about something that you want to happen it makes more sense. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

  4. #139
    Outrunner
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    707
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    I believe 100% that SEGA just doesn't come back, not because they have no money, but because they don't know how to make the return. sad but thruth.

    Your idea is excellent and my theory proves, there are better ideas out there in the community than there in the company's R&D department. One of my ideas, which is in my essay, is Retro-Software, which are new games for retro hardware.

    in the world there should be at least 10M people who enjoy the Sega brand, and at least 1M unconditional fans of the brand. Too many I have no doubt. If it were Coke they would make a themed soda if their fans asked.
    Thanks. I'm under no illusion that Sega is likely to return with a console to rival the offerings of MS, Sony and Nintendo. But they do have a console sitting on store shelves right now and indie developers are making games that could run on it -- it just seems obvious they could put 2 and 2 together. As I understand it the SG Mini was outsourced to a company called Ryowa so I doubt they are even considering offering anything like that.

    I think people here have a better chance of designing, building and marketing their own dream console than convincing Sega to get back into the market. If it sells, you can always sign them up as a 3rd party dev.

  5. #140
    Raging in the Streets Sik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,522
    Rep Power
    64

    Default

    To make it clear, the company that manufactured the Mega Drive Mini has a history of manufacturing consoles in general (including some of Sega's consoles).

  6. #141
    The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    My Chair
    Posts
    3,880
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Has anyone torn the thing down and seen what the motherboard is? The NES/SNES MB's were more powerful than Wii but still used the lowest end parts they could get. I think it had as much ram as a PS3 and a low power ARM quad core CPU. Just kinda funny to think. SEGA seems to have put more work into theres so I am very curious what the CPU and ram are.



    Life!? ... What console is that on?

  7. #142
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    113
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    To make it clear, the company that manufactured the Mega Drive Mini has a history of manufacturing consoles in general (including some of Sega's consoles).
    So it wasn't just marketing, it's really 100% made by the makers of the original Mega Drive...
    This means it's produced in Japan and not in China. Ryowa is the same that produced Sega consoles?
    Last edited by Virtua Hunter; 10-22-2019 at 08:18 AM.

  8. #143
    Outrunner
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    707
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    To make it clear, the company that manufactured the Mega Drive Mini has a history of manufacturing consoles in general (including some of Sega's consoles).
    Thanks that's good to know, I tried Googling and couldn't find much because there are a bunch of restaurants with the same name.

    Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Has anyone torn the thing down and seen what the motherboard is? The NES/SNES MB's were more powerful than Wii but still used the lowest end parts they could get. I think it had as much ram as a PS3 and a low power ARM quad core CPU. Just kinda funny to think. SEGA seems to have put more work into theres so I am very curious what the CPU and ram are.
    The CPU is this thing: https://www.zuiki.co.jp/products/z7213/
    Wikipedia says 256 MB of RAM.

    I haven't used one, based on the reviews it sounds like Sega would have been better off running Retroarch / Genesis Plus GX. Still an improvement over the AtGames hardware.

  9. #144
    End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    8,284
    Rep Power
    119

    Default

    The At Games hardware struggled to run ColecoVision games.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  10. #145
    Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    3,606
    Rep Power
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    They don't WANT to come back to the hardware market. They're happy where they are and financially sound because of it. Even if they did want to it would be a hugely foolish gamble to make given their backing and resources when compared to the competition. In a perfect world Sega would still be making consoles today and would still be up there with their name in lights. Alas it's not a perfect world. Sega gave it their best shot in the 80's and 90's but ultimately had to throw in the towel. I love the company as much as you do but I'm just not sure what you're trying to prove or achieve here.
    I see this constantly, people just need a dose of reality about modern Sega and then they'll quit dreaming about a new Sega console. Its that simple.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

  11. #146
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    113
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    a Sega fan can't stop dreaming, it's part of our nature.

    The hardware market has endless possibilities:

    -There is a space for cheaper home consoles (like Switch)
    -There is (probably, we'll see) a space for home consoles that do something different (like the 2D games of Intellivision Amico, Sega could do the same with arcade games for example)
    -There is a space for mini consoles (Mega Drive Mini, nice Sega but don't stop here...)
    -There is a market for old console (imagine new 2020 manufactered [not-mini] Dreamcast, Saturn etc. that would be perfect since the original hardware are becoming old)
    -There is a market for repros (imagine new Sega official retail reprint of their best games on MD, Saturn and Dreamcast, same things that Columbus circle and others do but as a series of releases with official quality)
    -There is a market for handhelds since Sony abandoned Vita and Nintendo has an identity crisis with Switch

    etc.

    Of course it needs a bit of courage, self esteem (that Sega lost completely, they weren't confident even in the Mega Drive Mini, come on...) and some investments (and this apply also for games not just to a hypothetical hardware), you can't do well in this business just by playing safe all the time.
    Last edited by Virtua Hunter; 10-23-2019 at 09:09 AM.

  12. #147
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    225
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    I see this constantly, people just need a dose of reality about modern Sega and then they'll quit dreaming about a new Sega console. Its that simple.
    and what are these realities? name a few at least about 8.

  13. #148
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    225
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    a Sega fan can't stop dreaming, it's part of our nature.
    I did my part, posted a link on Pag 8 which allows any of us to send suggestions to Sega. The goal isn't to post complaints there, but to suggest, show them what is wrong and how to improve, all with great humility, because at the end of the day they decide to accept the suggestions or not.

    I am finishing compiling a strategy to send to them.

    The forum don't need to engage, but I understand Sega-16 is very relevant, if we make a petition or campaign for Sega's return, I assure you, we would be called in for an interview with the gamer media, and things could to change or rather, we could bring this change.

    But many of us, Sega fans have already been content, many have left Sega on PS1, others after Dreamcast flopped, even dropped out of the gaming world, the leftovers have become xbox-guys, PC-guys and nintendo-guys , but most became Playstation-Guy. For example, one of these three making consoles is normal but when it comes to SEGA, questions arise such as: Why would Sega make a console? My God, for the same reasons as others, earn from royalties, do your own service, increase brand value and many other things. Ask a Nintendo-guy if he wants Nintendo to stop making consoles and launch Mario / Zelda on the playstation. He will laugh.
    Last edited by SegaAMD; 10-23-2019 at 12:37 PM.

  14. #149
    Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,956
    Rep Power
    49

    Default

    I tell you what I would love to see, hypothetically speaking, which is that if Sega did make a comeback that they are fully backed by EA. After all EA's fortune was essentially made back in the day thanks to the success of their collaboration with Sega for games on the Mega Drive. World famous franchises, some of which are still going to this day, like the NFL, NHL, FIFA, Road Rash and Strike franchises really did bring both companies incredible success. EA owe Sega big time for becoming the mammoth company they are today.

  15. #150
    The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    My Chair
    Posts
    3,880
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    And reward SEGA with "Surprise Mechanics" in their games.



    Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •