Quantcast

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: The insane grind of Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2

  1. #1
    Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    3,771
    Rep Power
    62

    Default The insane grind of Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2

    Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 is a lot of enjoyment to play. The phenomenal graphics, cruising Tokyo highways in pitch black night.

    But this game has some of the most severe grinding ever seen in a game. Right now I'm using a low-end class A car, I can't beat any rivals because they all have much faster acceleration. I've upgraded my car almost to the limit. It seems my only option is to do 40 races against rivals I've already raced, so I can afford a high-end class A car.

    So my question is, is there a good strategy to playing this game? Is there a way to avoid the insane grinding?
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

  2. #2
    The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    My Chair
    Posts
    4,159
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Get out your credit card and pay for the time saver EXP packs then buy a card pack and you might get a good part to upgrade your car. It's random so good luck.


    Oh, sorry I'm just so used to modern games I reacted without realizing you are talking about a game from 2000.



    Life!? ... What console is that on?

  3. #3
    Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    3,771
    Rep Power
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Get out your credit card and pay for the time saver EXP packs then buy a card pack and you might get a good part to upgrade your car. It's random so good luck.


    Oh, sorry I'm just so used to modern games I reacted without realizing you are talking about a game from 2000.
    Haha, I kinda do wish this game was pay-to-win.

    But I think I will just do the grinding. Maybe 10 races per night, and I will eventually reach 40 races.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

  4. #4
    WCPO Agent cabear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Age
    38
    Posts
    768
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    I loved loved loved the grind of TXR2. I don't remember it that bad though, what car are you using?

  5. #5
    Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    3,771
    Rep Power
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cabear View Post
    I loved loved loved the grind of TXR2. I don't remember it that bad though, what car are you using?
    The lowest-end Class A car, it costed like $16500. Even though it has a huge amount of upgrades, I can't beat rivals because their acceleration is much faster. So the only option is to get a high-end Class A car, by getting $500 per race until I reach $20000-$30000, this means 40-60 races.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

  6. #6
    Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    3,771
    Rep Power
    62

    Default

    Also even though I put in maybe $70000 into the car I'm using(including the purchase price), I can only sell it for $3000.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

  7. #7
    WCPO Agent cabear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Age
    38
    Posts
    768
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    have you messed with the gearing for acceleration? is it a turbo 4wd or rwd?

  8. #8
    Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Noviomagus, The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,603
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 is a lot of enjoyment to play. The phenomenal graphics, cruising Tokyo highways in pitch black night.

    But this game has some of the most severe grinding ever seen in a game. Right now I'm using a low-end class A car, I can't beat any rivals because they all have much faster acceleration. I've upgraded my car almost to the limit. It seems my only option is to do 40 races against rivals I've already raced, so I can afford a high-end class A car.

    So my question is, is there a good strategy to playing this game? Is there a way to avoid the insane grinding?
    I wrote a very lenghty review about this game on gamefaqs. I suggest you check the gamefaqs tuning FAQ as well because you need to absolutely tune the hell out of each car! It may seem like a grind but once the entire highway opens up more money is to be made and once you beat the Final Boss. A new game + opens up. I'm halfway through that and I have more money than Ik can spend. I could buy each car twice since with the Nissan Datsun car you become unbeatable if tuned right and the money will flow in.

    Also don't bother ever selling a car. This is by far the best racing game I've ever played.

  9. #9
    Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    3,771
    Rep Power
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cabear View Post
    have you messed with the gearing for acceleration? is it a turbo 4wd or rwd?
    Nope, no no. The acceleration just can't be improved enough in the car I'm using. I tried the NSX Type S in free run and the acceleration is insanely faster, I just gotta get a different car.

    Besides I've already done %70 of the grinding I need to do to get my next car.

    Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    I wrote a very lenghty review about this game on gamefaqs. I suggest you check the gamefaqs tuning FAQ as well because you need to absolutely tune the hell out of each car! It may seem like a grind but once the entire highway opens up more money is to be made and once you beat the Final Boss. A new game + opens up. I'm halfway through that and I have more money than Ik can spend. I could buy each car twice since with the Nissan Datsun car you become unbeatable if tuned right and the money will flow in.

    Also don't bother ever selling a car. This is by far the best racing game I've ever played.
    This game is beyond hardcore. Only and I mean only if you are willing and capable to invest hundreds of hours into this game, will this game truly open up and become the best racing game you have ever played.
    You got that right.


    Honestly I made a mistake and it just shows this game has to be mastered, theres a lot of skill involved in it. I shouldn't have kept upgrading the car I'm using to beat rivals, and instead started saving up for a new car.

    Anyways, sadly today is the last day my Dreamcast will be hooked up, so I gotta come back to it in a couple months.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

  10. #10
    Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Noviomagus, The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,603
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    no you need to seriously buy all the best stuff for each car or it will be a nightmare to drive and you won't get the most out of it. Just make a good decision on one car and then run with it for countless hours.

    it is indeed true the game needs a lot of skill. it's all about power drifting. check this video about it:


  11. #11
    Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    3,771
    Rep Power
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    no you need to seriously buy all the best stuff for each car or it will be a nightmare to drive and you won't get the most out of it. Just make a good decision on one car and then run with it for countless hours.
    Yes, I will do that with my next car. The car I'm using right now is essentially tuned to the limit, and the acceleration is way too slow to beat rival cars. Its frustrating seeing the same thing, the rival car sprints way ahead of me and the only way I can beat them is by maintaining a high top speed.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

  12. #12
    Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Noviomagus, The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,603
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    Yes, I will do that with my next car. The car I'm using right now is essentially tuned to the limit, and the acceleration is way too slow to beat rival cars. Its frustrating seeing the same thing, the rival car sprints way ahead of me and the only way I can beat them is by maintaining a high top speed.
    you should be able to tune it to have higher acceleration. did you tune the gear box?

  13. #13
    Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    3,771
    Rep Power
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    you should be able to tune it to have higher acceleration. did you tune the gear box?
    Its too late, my Dreamcast is put away. Right now I'm playing the first Tokyo Xtreme Racer in an emulator to see what its like. The game is a lot easier and a lot less complex, which isn't really a good thing but it is convenient for taking a quick look.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

  14. #14
    Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    3,771
    Rep Power
    62

    Default

    Also bultje you should keep looking at the PS2 vs Dreamcast Graphics thread, I will be posting the polycounts for the Tokyo Xtreme Racer games so we can see what they're operating at.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

  15. #15
    Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    3,771
    Rep Power
    62
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •