Quantcast

Thread: Has anyone successfully cleaned/repaired a CD before?

Default Has anyone successfully cleaned/repaired a CD before?

I've read countless articles and watched many a video - But has anyone here ever been able to clean a scratched disc and actually get it to read again?

I would love to know the secret.

I've had discs machine cleaned and tried the stupid toothpaste trick but nothing.

Even working games that were showing wear, like a fool, I had one cleaned and now it crashes!

If anyone has a secret could you please enlighten me? Or just share your dread, that might make me feel better too...

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Using cheap home remedies? No.

I've taken a few discs to my local game store, who have a resurfacing machine. I've actually been able to fix a few games that way though.

No fix will work if you hold your disc up to a light and see specks of light shining through. That means the data portion has been scratched, and the disc is ruined.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

I had a lot of games professionally resurfaced (40+ at once) before, and all except Street Fighter Alpha (Saturn) (label damage from previous owner's idiocy) and Shenmue disc 1 (scratch that needs more buffing to remove) worked fine afterward. I only dimly recall manually resurfacing any games, and they worked, but they didn't look pretty.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    I've taken a few discs to my local game store, who have a resurfacing machine. I've actually been able to fix a few games that way though.

No fix will work if you hold your disc up to a light and see specks of light shining through. That means the data portion has been scratched, and the disc is ruined.
    I have a copy of Marvel vs Capcom 2 that seems to crash when loading stage 4 of arcade mode. It was scratched-up when I first received it, figured I could clean it rather than cause a fuss with returns.

After cleaning, there are maybe two super minor specks, but the disc looks otherwise perfect. It still crashes at stage 4.

As far as the local game store, there is one that I never go to, and the only time ever that I did go to have a disc cleaned, the kid shattered it.

I mean, it exploded into shards. I still have no idea what he did.

But I did get to leave with an apology, so I guess I have at least that...

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    I had a lot of games professionally resurfaced (40+ at once) before, and all except Street Fighter Alpha (Saturn) (label damage from previous owner's idiocy) and Shenmue disc 1 (scratch that needs more buffing to remove) worked fine afterward. I only dimly recall manually resurfacing any games, and they worked, but they didn't look pretty.
    Dude, I'm genuinely glad to hear someone has had luck doing this then.

The only other game that I had cleaned was Fighters Megamix, scratched to hell but played perfect.

I had it cleaned spotless, now it crashes during the intro! Urgh.

Curious to know how you went about 'manually' resurfacing your games?

I've had one disc resurfaced at a games store a long time ago, the game worked fine after that.

This is slightly off topic, but wouldn't it be easier if people just learn to look after discs? I'm not saying that anyone on here isn't looking after their games, but I'm almost willing to bet that everyone here has bought a second hand game and wondered if the previous owner has deliberately taken a grinder to the face of the disc.
    I've lost a few discs due to rot and a few more to scratches, but most of the issues I've had have been with second hand discs that clearly haven't been looked after at all. Do people kick discs down the street when they aren't playing them nowadays?

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I've had one disc resurfaced at a games store a long time ago, the game worked fine after that.

This is slightly off topic, but wouldn't it be easier if people just learn to look after discs? I'm not saying that anyone on here isn't looking after their games, but I'm almost willing to bet that everyone here has bought a second hand game and wondered if the previous owner has deliberately taken a grinder to the face of the disc.
    I've lost a few discs due to rot and a few more to scratches, but most of the issues I've had have been with second hand discs that clearly haven't been looked after at all. Do people kick discs down the street when they aren't playing them nowadays?
    I can't speak for everyone, but I kept my discs in a soft case when I was a kid. Constantly sliding them in and out of the case seemed to put scratches on them more than if I just used jewel cases. I also used to wipe them with a damp microfiber cloth (gasp!) when they had problems, which probably made them a lot worse than they already were. Especially with our crazy hard water depositing minerals on to the discs. I was never one of those kids that just left the bare discs on their dresser or anything though.

It's mostly my early PC and PS1 discs that got scratched up. My later PS2 DVDs and PS3 blu-ray discs are in much better shape. I think this is not only from me being older and knowing how to take better care of discs, but also the tougher material the DVDs and blu-ray discs were made of. CD-ROM disc plastic seems soft in comparison. My Saturn discs never really got messed up. I think that is partially because I always put them back in the oversized cases instead of using a big soft case.

I keep much better care of my discs now, but I thought I would at least explain how a lot of my CDs got scratched early on.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lync View Post
    Curious to know how you went about 'manually' resurfacing your games?
    One of those bullshit rickety plastic Disc Doctor rigs, as opposed to the motorized operations retail stores would use.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Thread Information