Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IGN Top 100 Games of All Time

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    IGN are clearly retarded beyond all help, but it's the fact that they present themselves as gaming journos and then come out with shit like this that really takes the piss. I mean if they were self admitted hacks then that would explain a lot.
    I remember being part of the UK resistance. It was always clear the heavy bias for Nintendo and SONY in the likes of EDGE, Eurogamer, and the joke that is IGN. It's just so wrong and unfair that no SEGA game is in the top 100 games of all time, just like it's always been so unfair no SEGA game scored a 10 in EDGE (It wasn't right that PSO didn't get a 10)
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

I decided to click the provided link in the original post just out of curiosity and saw that Pokemon Go was #100.

LOL

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by BubsyFan1 View Post
    I decided to click the provided link in the original post just out of curiosity and saw that Pokemon Go was #100.

LOL
    I mean maybe Pokémon Go gets an honorable mention for being the only game that got people wandering around outside at all hours looking for stuff, I guess. I glanced at the list, 3 of the top 4 games are SNES titles, really? Nothing better happened after that?

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

4 missing genres off the top of my head:
    Sports(especially the mutant stuff )
    Shoot 'em Ups
    Beat 'em Ups
    Wrestling

If those don't account for some of the best gaming has to offer, one really lacks a soul.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BubsyFan1 View Post

LOL
    I don't get how they came up with Fallout 2 being on the list, when Fallout 3 really is the best of the franchise. They also chose the most recent God of War, when I feel that GOW2 was the best. And Ms. Pac-Man? Come on!
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Wildside Expert

While Sega may no longer be a console maker, Genesis games have been available in compilations for nearly every console, on services such as Wii Virtual Console & Xbox Lve Arcade, as well as plug and play units for the past 15 years. There's no reason for these games to be forgotten. I could understand this rationale if someone was arguing about the lack of TG-16/PC Engine games, but Genesis games have remained mainstream.

You guys think that IGN list is bad?
    Take a look at the Polygon version from the past decade: https://www.polygon.com/features/201...xbox-pc-100-51

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by maxi View Post
    Take a look at the Polygon version from the past decade: https://www.polygon.com/features/201...xbox-pc-100-51
    I quit reading after the first one: "Virginia explores how women in the workplace are undermined by patriarchal power structures, including divide-and-conquer strategies."

Yeah that's the kind of game I've always been looking for LOL. What a boring list.

Wow.
    In another 10 years no one will be talking about, much less remember, 80% of those games.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    It’s an age thing. I hate it when these under 30 something people keep calling 8-bit home computers PCs. They really don’t get it.
    While they are probably misguided as to why they would say that, they technically are correct. 8-bit home computers were in fact Personal Computers. They just weren't "IBM Compatible PCs." By the mid-late 90s as all the alternatives died out, the IBM Compatible PC (anything running on an x86 family processor) were just being referred to as PCs. It seems like now it just inaccurately means anything that isn't a Mac, phone, or tablet that runs Windows.

PS:
    That list is horse shit as is any 100 greatest that doesn't include SEGA.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

All 100 lists are shit. All lists are shit when it comes to "greatest" as they have a short memory. Choose popular trendy things over genuinely great. It's better to do a top 100 SEGA games. Top 100 Nintendo games. Top 100 RPGs. Top 100 FIghting games etc and I said in another thread but Giant Bomb does the latter but they don't just make some clickbait list and slap it on their site you have to click through so they get ad revenue. They have a series of videos where they play 2 fighting games. They play them then discuss where they rank them. It' son ongoing series and is great. Lists like IGN's or best game of the decade lists are cheap pops. There is no real thought put into them. I stopped reading them ages ago as they are all basically the same shit.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

You can't spell ignorant without IGN.

There's no Sega on that list, but there's also no SNK, no Irem, Data East, etc.... It's just a shitty list. This kind of stuff is why no one takes IGN seriously anymore.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Light guns! You never see light gun games on these nerd lists either. Nor major arcade classics like Asteroids, Space Invaders, Glaga/Galaxian/Gaplus, Frogger, Q*Bert, Qix, Gauntlet, Marble Madness, etc.

Not that I ever get why these lists are made. Who wants to be told what their gaming experience should be, instead of trying stuff out for themselves?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    I mean maybe Pokémon Go gets an honorable mention for being the only game that got people wandering around outside at all hours looking for stuff, I guess. I glanced at the list, 3 of the top 4 games are SNES titles, really? Nothing better happened after that?
    I'm wondering if that wandering around looking for stuff thing is a good thing.... I wouldn't be surprised if a ton of people out there had Super Mario World as their #1 game. It wouldn't be in my top 100 though.

Heh, I like how Pokemon Go is #5 on that one.

Seriously though, making a top 100 isn't even worthwhile unless it's your personal list. There are so many games out there and there's no way every game can be taken into consideration, and 100 games is such a small fraction of the pool. There are tons of games that people absolutely love that I bet I have never even seen gameplay of.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MachineCode View Post
    While they are probably misguided as to why they would say that, they technically are correct. 8-bit home computers were in fact Personal Computers. They just weren't "IBM Compatible PCs." By the mid-late 90s as all the alternatives died out, the IBM Compatible PC (anything running on an x86 family processor) were just being referred to as PCs. It seems like now it just inaccurately means anything that isn't a Mac, phone, or tablet that runs Windows.

PS:
    That list is horse shit as is any 100 greatest that doesn't include SEGA.
    They were a completely different market segment, whereas, nobody would buy a Commodore 64 to run a large office, while an uber expensive PC would be in that environment. IBM actually coined the phrase "Personal Computer" when they released their 1st computer that wasn't tied to a main frame. It wasn't until the PC Jr., that they tried to sell the computer for the home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_computer

Home computers were a class of microcomputers that entered the market in 1977 and became common during the 1980s. They were marketed to consumers as affordable and accessible computers that, for the first time, were intended for the use of a single nontechnical user. These computers were a distinct market segment that typically cost much less than business, scientific or engineering-oriented computers of the time such as the IBM PC,[2] and were generally less powerful in terms of memory and expandability. However, a home computer often had better graphics and sound than contemporary business computers. Their most common uses were playing video games, but they were also regularly used for word processing, doing homework, and programming.

Home computers were usually not electronic kits; home computers were sold already manufactured in stylish metal or plastic enclosures. There were, however, commercial kits like the Sinclair ZX80 which were both home and home-built computers since the purchaser could assemble the unit from a kit.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Thread Information