Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aladdin gets a re-release...... for $100

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

A glow in dark cart for a mere 100 $ ??? Thats hilarious.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    I literally bought a copy 3 months ago for like $15. Fun game but who wants to pay $100 for it?
    After I saw this thing this morning, I immediately went to ebay to confirm what I already knew: you can buy 5 or 6 complete AUTHENTIC copies of this game for the price of this repro. It's disheartening to know that I share the planet with 4500 people who will justify this absolute scam.

I wonder if these same people would be willing to buy a limited-release 'collector's edition' of The Matrix on VHS for the same price. Like, if it had a new custom tape sleeve and the tape itself was made out of transparent green plastic. And maybe some stickers.

That's the same thing, in my opinion.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One RvR's Avatar

Not gonna lie the translucent glow in the dark cart is cool. I would probably buy it if it was a rare and high quality game like Splatterhouse or something.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

"A fool and his money are soon parted" - I don't have an issue with licensed reproductions. Collectards that support this style of gouging are just making the market worse for themselves and everyone else though. Retro-Bit's efforts with unreleased or rare-ish games like Holy Diver, Wily Wars, Metal Storm, ect for reasonable prices makes much more sense IMO.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by avlon View Post
    "A fool and his money are soon parted" - I don't have an issue with licensed reproductions. Collectards that support this style of gouging are just making the market worse for themselves and everyone else though. Retro-Bit's efforts with unreleased or rare-ish games like Holy Diver, Wily Wars, Metal Storm, ect for reasonable prices makes much more sense IMO.
    Key term here is "reasonable prices". It seems that sooner or later, retro gaming will be a really hard hobby to keep engaging. Real money is starting to be moved around, and the type of people getting into retro game collecting are not people that care about the games. We read about this all the time, but Sega Genesis will eventually get to those crazy prices, and it will be due to stuff like this.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

This hobby can never die so long as flash carts and new generation clonesoles exist, or at least emulation remains a researched subject. Of course, with my own electronic engineering degree earning me $0.00 in the 13 years since I acquired it, I don't have much in the way of hopes for future generations of SEs and EEs.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Shipping prices being set to increase in the following months (we're already seeing them go crazy in some cases) also means that even "cheap" homebrew and rereleases are going to get pretty expensive.

…that said, $100 here is probably just Disney gouging. I guess that license is pricey.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Plus with both Aladdin and Lion King getting new movies, they're *hip* right now.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Aladdin was one of the Mega Drive's best selling games and as such is one of the most common games to be found in the wild for the system. It can be bought CIB in excellent condition for about a tenner. This is a cynical cash grab, exploiting nostalgia and designed to appeal to collectards with more money than sense.

Outrunner

I’m eagerly awaiting the limited edition re-print of Madden ‘93.

Master of Shinobi

What a joke.

My worry with rip-off re-releases like this is that they will have the opposite effect to the one that re-releases usually have: they will drive the price of the originals up.

Honestly, I'm getting rather sick of retro gamers being used as bottomless wallets. Whether it's limited releases that will only have one print run to attract rich collectors and scalpers, to the persistent attempts by some large resellers to artificially inflate the price of ordinarily cheap games (I'm seeing this a lot now with 3DO games), the retro game market is going to hell.

It's not even anything special like the upcoming Final Cut version of Aladdin. But even then I wouldn't drop a hundred bucks for it.

Thread Information