Quantcast

Thread: Question about the stereo genesis 1 and maybe genesis 3

Default Question about the stereo genesis 1 and maybe genesis 3

I know the genesis 1 only output mono sound save for the headphone output which is different. I am using a scart rgb cable which has been made by retrogamingcable if I remember well. I have noticed that I do have a stereo sound coming from such cable. There is no jack plugged on the headphone output so all the sound comes from the rgb cable only so why is it stereo?Or maybe only the left side (or right side) exists and is then "split". But after using my headphone from the TV, the sound is both left and right.

How come?

And if I plug the same RGB cable but from the genesis 2 on the genesis 3...will I have also stereo sound from the genesis 3?

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamer888 View Post
    I know the genesis 1 only output mono sound save for the headphone output which is different. I am using a scart rgb cable which has been made by retrogamingcable if I remember well. I have noticed that I do have a stereo sound coming from such cable. There is no jack plugged on the headphone output so all the sound comes from the rgb cable only so why is it stereo?Or maybe only the left side (or right side) exists and is then "split". But after using my headphone from the TV, the sound is both left and right.

How come?

And if I plug the same RGB cable but from the genesis 2 on the genesis 3...will I have also stereo sound from the genesis 3?
    Are you sure the cable isn't just mirroring the single mono channel to both speakers? Find a game with a sound effect that only plays either from the left or right side. If it plays from both sides equally, then it's just splitting the mono channel to both sides. There are also some cables that you have to plug in to the headphone jack separately, but you already mentioned that you don't have one of those.

Same reason for the Genesis 3, I suspect your cable is just sending the same signal to both sides.

This isn't a bad thing, of course. It would be weird if audio only played from one side of your speaker system.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

I share your thought...the sound (mono) must be split making it a "stereo-mono" sound if this makes sense. Definitly still better than a real mono especially since I have speakers from a sound system rather than from the TV. That said, while plugging my genesis 1 using the headphone output, the sound is of course stereo but also slighty clearer and lourder. Depending on my set up, I use such better option.

Any games I could use to check?Maybe when the cops in SoR 1 arrives to give you some help?

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

Any Sonic game will work (the ring sound bounces back and forth between channels as you collect them). The first stage in SOR2 is also a good test for similar reasons (the main instrument in the intro pans from side to side).

Quote Originally Posted by Assman View Post
    Any Sonic game will work (the ring sound bounces back and forth between channels as you collect them). The first stage in SOR2 is also a good test for similar reasons (the main instrument in the intro pans from side to side).
    Thanks!I will do some testing later!

Wildside Expert

Iíve noticed that my Genesis model 1 has louder sound on one channel that the other with the official AV cables. The left channel is loud, and the right channel seems to be the same, just a bit quieter. Itís not Stereo though. I do wonder why one channel in more quiet though.

Thread Information