Quantcast

Thread: What is the oldest book you own?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Jake Armitage's Avatar

Default What is the oldest book you own?

I have a chess book by Philidor published in England in 1750. While a first edition, it is a sixth printing.

After that I have a book on white slavery that was written in 1853.

The chess book is in very good condition whilst the white slavery book is pretty much falling apart.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

I have some old books by Zane Grey ranging from the 1910s-1930s. I don't think I own any original books from before the 20th century.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Just a kanji dictionary from about 1951 or so, sorted by stroke count and direction. I'm surprised that I still have it, considering I've been down to the clothes on my back, and what I could carry in a single plastic bag, multiple times in my life.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Early 19th century, as I recall. I'd have to check for the exact year, but 1806 comes to mind for some reason. I don't think I have anything from the 18th century.

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

I have a pocket-sized latin copy of De Imitatione Christi (or The Imitation of Christ, a well-known religious devotional) from 1827. I managed to get it for a bargain on eBay from a UK seller (Less than $20). Despite that work being originally in latin when it was written in the middle ages, it is hard to find quality reprints of it in the original language. Before that, I had a rather questionable and tacky fascimile of one latin edition with a cheap hardbound cover. One of those needlessly expensive print on demand editions that are pricey but bad quality. Good thing I got it on sale new for $5 with free shipping.
    "You do not see the world as it is, you see the world as you are."

Master of Shinobi

Some of the bibles we inherited from my grandmother have to be at least 19th century.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Nice topic.

I have one book thatís around 110 yrs old, IIRC. The History of Rome. Complete with color maps and illustrations. I need to get around to actually reading it lol.

I also have a chess book from the 1950ís iirc... old enough that it uses the outdated notation that is understandable but very cluttered and overly difficult to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    Nice topic.

I also have a chess book from the 1950ís iirc... old enough that it uses the outdated notation that is understandable but very cluttered and overly difficult to read.
    Thanks!

I learned standard notation when I first started serious playing way back when. While I can follow algebraic I much prefer standard notation.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

The book of Alien (1979). A 'making of' book with behind the scenes photos showing the production of the greatest film of all time. Yeah...not very old I know lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    The book of Alien (1979). A 'making of' book with behind the scenes photos showing the production of the greatest film of all time. Yeah...not very old I know lol.
    You have to start somewhere - and of course no matter where you go, there you are.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Shakespeare

This is not the oldest but one of the more interesting ones. Uncle Remus book series and character created by Joel Chandler Harris in the 1800s. From my memory and feel free to correct it. He compiled old folk tales and the Uncle Remus character would tell them about the struggles of slavery. Disney in the 1940s spun off that with Brer Rabbit. Disney made the film Song of the South but later banned the film. The only surviving part of it released in the public is the song Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah. Some of these characters used to be on the water slide at Disney Land where you got your picture taken. I doubt they are still there when I was a kid. These are not what people would call PC friendly these days lol. I'm not bothered that they got away from these characters but pretending like they never existed along with Song of the south is silly. Much worse things have happened and we still openly acknowledge them. Uncle Remus never had malicious intent. It just has not aged well at all. Anyway here is some pics I took of this book I own. It's a hand me down from my mom.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thread Information