Quantcast

Thread: OutRun: How An 80s Arcade Racer Has Remained Relevant for Over 30 Years

arcade OutRun: How An 80s Arcade Racer Has Remained Relevant for Over 30 Years

OutRun is considered an arcade classic, and rightly so. Its mixture of great gameplay, speed, and an atmospheric soundtrack created one of the best driving experiences in video games. Join us as we revisit this timeless gem and celebrate Yu Suzuki's masterpiece! Read the full article for all the details.

Outrun is the only dedicated game cabinet I've ever wanted.

It is such a simple idea executed to absolute perfection.

The objective, controls, visuals, and sounds capture a moment in video games that can never be repeated - It's almost bittersweet remembering times in arcades, malls, or bowling alleys that you would always see an Outrun cabinet.

I can't think of any other game that makes me feel as reminiscent of times passed as Outrun.

Just listening to "Last Wave"... man, it's as beautiful as it is haunting. This game to me is a slice of many summers that I can't return back to.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

The first time I saw Outrun, it was at a local Hill's department store, right next to their snack bar up front, so when I play the game, it reminds me of cherry slush, popcorn, soft pretzels, and hot dogs. An amazing game with a long lifespan, well deserving of its success on nearly every game and computer system ever released. Well, let's not think too much about those rancid European computer system ports.

- Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Wildside Expert

What more can I say?, I still play it to this day.
    The Saturn 'Sega Ages' version is my favorite and the one I prefer for a quick blast but I have a soft spot for some of the 8-bit and 16 bit ports.
    Silly as it may sound, I used to think that a computer or console that received a good port of the game was indeed a powerful machine and surely deserved a place on my wishlist...
    By the way, IMHO the genesis version can be improved with Tor Landeel's color hack and Tony H's speed codes that make for a more enjoyable outrun experience on sega's iconic 16 bit console.

I think the SMS Outrun is the game I played the most on the system. Its a really mellow game that makes you want to play it again and again.

Thread Information