Quantcast

Thread: Mega Drive / Genesis games with attract mode?

Genesis Mega Drive / Genesis games with attract mode?

Hey all,

I'm looking at putting together a list of games (especially first-party) that have an attract/demo mode, meaning that you can leave the game idle on the title screen and it'll show footage of the game being played.

Even one game suggestion is appreciated. I'll add them to the list below as you recommend them.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island (Sonic 3D Blast)

Many thanks!
    Last edited by caffeinedreamer; 10-29-2019 at 01:26 PM.

While I can't remember off the top of my head, most of the arcade ports have an attract/demo mode as do pretty much all the shmups.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Thunderforce IV for sure. Interestingly, when the PAL ROM (NTSC too?) is run at either 50 or 60Hz, the ship is destroyed at a different point.

Strider is for me the most important one, when i rent the game i spent some hours playing trying advance in siberia stage trying to jump on the end of the cliff, i was tried almost everything.. so i surrender and left the video game on running the game, when i back i saw the game in attract mode showing me how pass on siberia stage..

after that now i always pay attetion on games attract mode

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Altered Beast
    Golden Axe
    Street Fighter 2
    Eternal Champions
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Virtua Racing
    Rolling Thunder 2
    Streets of Rage 1/2/3
    TMNT HSH

Are some of my favorites

I mean, almost all the games that were arcade ports retained their respective attract modes. The 4th Gen was the hayday of attract modes, as it's a staple of good arcade game design.

Attract mode was also great for leaving the game running at a store and attract customers who may want to buy that game when they watch it (attract mode).

But yeah, I think it'd be easier to list what Mega Drive games do not have one. Even RPGs had an opening in a loop or something.

Ultracore has one. And for some reason it triggers in the control options screen, so make your selection fast! :P
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Centrale's Avatar

It's pretty much just the European games that don't have an attract mode. They usually just cycle through publisher/developer logos, a title screen, and maybe the credits. I can't stand it!

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

I know Zombies Ate My Neighbors does...

But to echo what everyone else is saying, donít MOST games have an attract mode? I would expect that any game I popped in, regardless of what system they were on, would have some kind of demo.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    But to echo what everyone else is saying, donít MOST games have an attract mode? I would expect that any game I popped in, regardless of what system they were on, would have some kind of demo.
    It would not surprise me if 95% of the Genesis games have an attract mode, I think its more interesting to ask which ones don't. (Xeno Crisis for example stays on the title screen)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training nemezes's Avatar

forgotten worlds has a really fast attract mode.
    Last edited by nemezes; 11-03-2019 at 01:13 AM.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Attract mode was also great for leaving the game running at a store and attract customers who may want to buy that game when they watch it (attract mode).

But yeah, I think it'd be easier to list what Mega Drive games do not have one. Even RPGs had an opening in a loop or something.
    Attract mode is 100% a holdover from arcade design. Whenever it was in a console game it was either as a result of the desire to recreate the arcade experience of a specific game, like Golden Axe or Altered Beast, or as a homage to the practice.

Attract modes were used in arcades to make a game stand out among the other titles in the row. The idea was to display gameplay, basic interactions, and to get eyes and ears on a cab. Draw players in, get drop, cycle them through, start over.

Altered Beast specifically was a freaking masterpiece of arcade design. Anyone who grew up in that era remembers the attract mode from the Altered Beast cab. It purposely used the 2nd stage with stripped music, and blasted the electric field sound effect, then cycled the attract mode.

Makoto Uchida was freaking brilliant.

Thread Information