Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NintendoAge and SegaAge Gone

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    Most large and active communities tend to become infested with identity politicians who worm their way into the administration, then tear everything below them apart until the community collapses. That, or the existing administration goes insane, and does it on their own without any additional help, kicking out more reasonable people from the admin team without any sort of notice or justification. I wonder if this was the case in the implosion of any of those sites. It sure was at most of the ones I used to be a regular on, if they didn't just dry up and mummify on their own.
    Trust me when I say that I'll do my best to prevent that from happening here.
    05/05/15

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

You're a saint.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Truly a King among Men

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

*Never heard of either before coming here* <_< >_>

Can someone explain why a SEGA forum would freak out over a Nintendo forum going away? Aren't there a million Nintendo forums? Yes, I really am in the dark. No, not new to forums. Used them since 96. Just curious why something called Nintendo Age is such a big deal in this place.

EDIT : @xelement5x. Thanks for an honest answer and not a dickish response.
    Last edited by SegataS; 11-06-2019 at 11:18 PM.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Is reading that hard? It's fretting over the loss of well-known classic-gaming-focused communities due to corporate stupidity.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Both sites -- along with PlayStationCollecting.com -- are still accessible via the site IP address, for example:

http://74.86.217.179/forum/messagevi...hreadid=165721

Just replace the first part of the URL with that IP address:

GoCollect has made some effort to incorporate the NintendoAge forum archives, but it's very scattered and sketchy and doesn't inspire confidence as of now.

Meanwhile the majority of the active userbase has decamped for VideoGameSage.com, which seems to be off to a good start.

I'd thought the current PC Engine hub was the PC Engine Software Bible Forum at pcengine.proboards.com? Nice to see the other site has been cloned; I hope it's now free of some of the craziness that was going on.
    This is great! Do you happen to know the IP for what SegaAge was? I'd love to scrape out that cardboard box releases page to preserve it.
    I think the PCE scene kind of splintered after the fall of PCEFX. Many folks were worried about seeing the data disappear so efforts were made to preserve that and that eventually turned into a clone of everything from the forum which was accessible at the time. The hard part is getting people access back to their old accounts though. I am on the Discord server which worked to back it up and we occasionally get folks who login trying to reclaim an account.

@SegataS
    I know it's just Nintendo stuff but a lot of us worry about the loss of information that gets sussed out on forums. I think losing information that's been discovered is kind of a shame because there's no reason not to be able to preserve it.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    *Never heard of either before coming here* <_< >_>

Can someone explain why a SEGA forum would freak out over a Nintendo forum going away? Aren't there a million Nintendo forums?
    Come on bro it's not even close to the 1990s anymore. A lot of people here and there are connected. We're all gamers first. There is no reason to think that people here and there love systems just besides Nintendo and SEGA. You have to branch yourself out more Segata and connect with other systems and hobbies as well.

This site has existed for years so it's only natural for people here to be concerned about other places dying off.
    05/05/15

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    This is great! Do you happen to know the IP for what SegaAge was? I'd love to scrape out that cardboard box releases page to preserve it.
    Sadly I don't! I thought it would be the same (74.86.217.179), and a Google seems to suggest it was, but replacing the SegaAge URL with the IP address doesn't seem to work. No idea what to do there, though SegaAge was up for a few days after NA went down.

And, BTW, that's one reason SegataS should care: there was a ton of Sega information on SegaAge, and that went down too. They used to have some nice high score contests, there was a thread all about pirate mahjong games for the Mega Drive that had info available nowhere else, etc. It used to be quite active there.

PlayStationCollecting was on the same server, and they didn't have too much content but there was a good thread about regional exclusives, which I kept a copy of.

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Come on bro it's not even close to the 1990s anymore. A lot of people here and there are connected. We're all gamers first. There is no reason to think that people here and there love systems just besides Nintendo and SEGA. You have to branch yourself out more Segata and connect with other systems and hobbies as well.
    Well said.

The collectards reap what they sow. I have been LMAO IRL over posts at Video Game Sage bemoaning the 'money guys' nuking their site for profit.

Re: PCEngineFX - yes, we are all over here now at Sunteam's forum http://pcengine.proboards.com/

Melf: not to be morbid, but do you have a succession plan in mind? All it will take is one nasty hurricane to hit PR again...

I was kind of bummed when I got home to enjoy some video games and check the Nintendo Age after not doing so for awhile to see what happened. I know websites and forums come and go but what a lousy way to make old posts unacceptable and nuke all the features like feedback and resources. I avoided the politics but I did some good deals on the site and miss the site for what it provided. At least I still have Sega 16 to enjoy.

Can someone explain to a simpleton like me why the buyout of sites like this does not include all of the content on the site? Or does it, and the new owners just decide to delete all of it?

I'm really concerned now for many of these archival type sites. The fuck is the point of buying them up if you don't have the data base of info that the sites were known for? All this stuff is going to disappear and have to be re-built. I know that coverproject has been going down like crazy as of late, and they refuse to update, accept submissions, or do jack shit with their site for the past few years. Sadly I think that one is living on borrowed time as well.

Couldn't you guys just use Internet Archive's Wayback Machine?

It's how I access dead websites like Gamewinners and Allgame.com.
    Last edited by sull56ivan2010; 11-15-2019 at 10:54 PM.

Wildside Expert

I'm glad I saved the "Genesis CIB Contents" spreadsheet from Segaage. It's been invaluable in helping me find the exact inserts that originally came with each game. The site wasn't very active (maybe a post a day on average), but some topics were very informative.

Thread Information