Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knuckles Chaotix sucks

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    I have a Genesis Model 2 and this game doesn't work. Never has. For years I figured my 32X was broken. I bought one other game Cosmic Carnage ages ago but still never played it. I just assumed I had a broken 32X and never got around to replace it. So I passed up on Tempo when it was 10 bucks all the time. Now it's over 100 CIB. It was not until an episode of James and Mike Mondays where they had the game crash at the exact moment mine did. I was shocked. They kept trying different things then finally using a Genesis Model 1 is what got it to work. So all these years it wasn't my 32X or the game but some dumbass oversight by SEGA. I am still bitter about this.
    The freezing issues I had with my model 2 VA2.3 with the 32X and Knuckles Chaotix were a lot at first (froze at the SEGA logo, than the title screen) but as the console warmed up with me playing regular Genesis games which didn't freeze and than trying Choatix again the issues went away slowly and the game was more and more playable. I have all sorts of hardware issues with that Genesis as it had a long and very abused life given all the crap that ended up happening to it, I'm surprised it even turns on and reads cartridges at this point. SEGA CDs won't even work if you connect it to the expansion port, found that out yesterday.

By construction aspects alone, a model 2 Genesis should be more reliable but it appears that like the audio circuits they also managed to goof up digital logical circuits in some revisions. I guess cost reduce here should mean lots and lots of cut corners. That said it looks like those issues are mostly fixable.

On an unrelated note as I mentioned this a little bit earlier in this thread is that I got the tray in my Sega CD model 1 to actually stay open and it seems to be reading games flawlessly now, regardless if it's burned disc or an original copy. I need new capacitors for the SEGA CD as the Genesis audio when ran through the SEGA CD is distorted. Looks great with my fully recapped model 1 VA3. Most of the work has gone into model 1 hardware restoration and maintenance. My other Genesis consoles are more after-thoughts at the moment.

Anymore I always put an 18pF cap at C13 on every single VA2.3 I come across, regardless if the CPU is made by Hitachi or Motorola. 18pFs caps are cheap, VA2.3s not so much.

Not sure if cleaning up the 68K CLK will fix flaky 32X issues, but it surely won't hurt things any. I know the VA1 32X isn't supposed to need that terminator on the Sega CD connector, but have you tried putting one on there and seeing if that changes anything?

What can also cause symptoms to improve as the system warms up is a faulty/flaky 7805 regulator, though that's a little less likely than a noisy CLK or, indeed, a bum cap somewhere. Though the cap would have to be a critical one that's grossly defective to bring the whole system crashing down, as Sega CS did, to my astonishment, place redundant 5V DC smoothing caps all over the board. (Hence why I don't really think recapping the Genesis will magically make the 32X work any better with it.)
    Last edited by Eep386; 12-07-2019 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eep386 View Post
    Anymore I always put an 18pF cap at C13 on every single VA2.3 I come across, regardless if the CPU is made by Hitachi or Motorola. 18pFs caps are cheap, VA2.3s not so much.

Not sure if cleaning up the 68K CLK will fix flaky 32X issues, but it surely won't hurt things any. I know the VA1 32X isn't supposed to need that terminator on the Sega CD connector, but have you tried putting one on there and seeing if that changes anything?

What can also cause symptoms to improve as the system warms up is a faulty/flaky 7805 regulator, though that's a little less likely than a noisy CLK or, indeed, a bum cap somewhere. Though the cap would have to be a critical one that's grossly defective to bring the whole system crashing down, as Sega CS did, to my astonishment, place redundant 5V DC smoothing caps all over the board. (Hence why I don't really think recapping the Genesis will magically make the 32X work any better with it.)
    I've tried the terminator on the Sega CD connector long before I had an actual SEGA CD and the machine didn't act different with the 32X attached. When I finally got a SEGA CD and tried connecting it to the Genesis VA2.3 it wouldn't boot and this combo was a simple model 2 Genesis and model 1 Sega CD with no 32X combo. I don't have a model 2 SEGA CD on hand but the model 1 SEGA CD works with the model 2 VA1 and VA1.8 that I have just fine. I've tried cleaning the connector ports on both and the VA2.3 Genesis just won't work.

My 32X is VA0.

Hm... where did you get this VA2.3 again?

Just to eliminate one possible mode of failure, do the colors shift/change onscreen as the system warms up? Or does it ever randomly lose sync? (trying to rule out a flaky/aging 53.6931 MHz main crystal)

Coincidentally my 32X is a VA0 as well. I always use the terminator when I play on it (which isn't that often anymore sadly).
    Last edited by Eep386; 12-08-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eep386 View Post
    Hm... where did you get this VA2.3 again?

Just to eliminate one possible mode of failure, do the colors shift/change onscreen as the system warms up? Or does it ever randomly lose sync? (trying to rule out a flaky/aging 53.6931 MHz main crystal)

Coincidentally my 32X is a VA0 as well. I always use the terminator when I play on it (which isn't that often anymore sadly).
    I had my Genesis model 2 VA2.3 since Christmas of 1995. The shell is held together by one screw and the metal EMI shield is held together by 5 (one in each corner), the reset bottom is broken and the red LED is gone. I did not take good care of my Genesis consoles when I was younger and my brother was the same way towards it. Fried a few of them back in the early 90's and my parents kept buying more. It's the Genesis that barely survived against all the odds against it and it truly was the last one my parents were actually willing to buy me and my brother at that point. Nowadays I treat my consoles a lot better and most of them work like new with zero problems and look brand new.

The color is always stable and nothing never loses sync.

Never had issues with Chaotix on my VA6 Genesis and VA0 32X.

The special stages are a challenge indeed.

Thread Information