Quantcast

Thread: Everdrive and repro carts damaging consoles?

Wildside Expert

Default Everdrive and repro carts damaging consoles?

Is it true? I found an article online saying that these carts can slowely damage your console overtime because they draw too much power. The Genesis can handle it, perhaps for years but it will ultimately shorten the life of your console.

I am interested in what some of you here think about this because I think people here have more knowledge of the Genesis hardware than anywhere else on the internet. I would like to get myself an Everdrive, but not at the expense of my console. I would also like to know if the same applies for the game genie. Thanks

My understanding is that the everdrives and cheap flash cart repros use 3v components but are receiving 5v from the Genesis. So in reality, the carts are more likely to be damaged vs the console from extended use. What I can tell you is that I have an ED x7 and it is on the list of carts that aren't designed as they should be for this. But I've used it more in my Genesis than actual carts and haven't had any issues. But I do notice that after extended play, the cart itself is quite warm to the touch. Suspect that is due to the cart having to deal with that extra voltage as heat in this case.

But my genesis itself doesn't seem to work or behave any differently and doesn't get any warmer than it usually would.

So again, I think the cartridges themselves are much more at risk to die from these design issues vs the console using them.

I have the Mega Everdrive X5 and it's one of the few on the list that says that it is designed correctly. My cart after extended use feels about the same as any other Sega Genesis cartridge normally does heat wise. I think long term for the ones not designed correctly there maybe issues but for stuff designed correctly there should be no issues.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Salduchi View Post
    Is it true? I found an article online saying that these carts can slowely damage your console overtime because they draw too much power. The Genesis can handle it, perhaps for years but it will ultimately shorten the life of your console.

I am interested in what some of you here think about this because I think people here have more knowledge of the Genesis hardware than anywhere else on the internet. I would like to get myself an Everdrive, but not at the expense of my console. I would also like to know if the same applies for the game genie. Thanks
    This theory was hyped early on as an imminent danger, yet millions of consoles have yet to blow up.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

I can't prove it but usually FPGA style stuff is pretty awkward. Even if there's not too many amps, there's concerns like: EMI, static, ground loops, and breaking implemented standards. Even if the device is physically optimal and better than Sega Genuine quality sealed hardware, there is still concern about transparency to the software after starting a custom loader.

For example, this isn't as bad as others I've seen (like tile corruption) but might be a signal problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dl1gTayTpE.

Usually NES diy programs should be imposed via the "Famicom disk system". But unfortunately the Everdrive and like many other devices are very marketed products.

If you have concerns just diy a flash cartridge; usually works better, even if it's somewhat inconvenient. Good luck!

I'm similarly assembling a "Extension Ram Cartridge" but still have problem of using CDR-rewritables which requires less resistance to laser diode (or simply using cd drive outside hardware specifications). According to research it's not really damaging but could cause problems, not to mention a diy cartridge...

(late to the thread)

Yeah, the console will be the one dealing the damage, not the other way (it's a goddamn tank that will happily take all sorts of abuses, which is also probably why we haven't seen anything serious yet). I'm honestly not sure how do those cartridges even manage to work, but I'm going to guess that they're going to have a shorter lifespan than usual if they're in constant use.

Note that the faulty Everdrives use resistors in lieu of level shifters. That's better than nothing, it's just that it's not ideal (from what I gather, it can work but it slows down signals). The bigger problem are the standalone cartridges that have nothing, in fact some of them outright won't work (and some are even padded with rubber).

Master of Shinobi

Not this again...

someone still has to surface stating his console was damaged or his everdrive blew up... yes its designed faultly but it just works.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

Thread Information