Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everdrive. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Wildside Expert

Default Everdrive. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I am looking to get an Everdrive mainly to play hacks, prototypes and tech demos. I have no idea how these work and I am not very good with tech.

To my understanding all I have to do it put games onto an SD card and put it in my everdrive and plug it into my Genesis. Is it really that simple? Is there a preferred website with a collection of legitimate ROMs I can easily access? Can any faulty ROMs damage my Genesis? Thanks for any info.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Salduchi View Post
    I am looking to get an Everdrive mainly to play hacks, prototypes and tech demos. I have no idea how these work and I am not very good with tech.

To my understanding all I have to do it put games onto an SD card and put it in my everdrive and plug it into my Genesis. Is it really that simple? Is there a preferred website with a collection of legitimate ROMs I can easily access? Can any faulty ROMs damage my Genesis? Thanks for any info.
    Yeah its pretty easy, drag n drop to micro sd and you are good to go. Google “smoke monster pack” its got full romsets and good hacks, translations, etc.

Wildside Expert

I mainly use my Everdrive for ROM hacks & games I can't afford (or just don't want to spend the $$$ on). My favorites are the color and sound hacks from Romhacking.net. Games like Outrun, Raiden Trad, Golden Axe, Altered Beast & the Street Fighter games are so much more fun to play with graphics & sounds that are more like the arcade.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

You might need to format the card first and download a file to keep in the root directory.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Master of Shinobi

Get an X3 if you are on a budget. You have to pick the f1, f2 etc variants of the games that are region locked and were not released in the region on your console. There are fixed roms for most games, not all though.
    You can also play Master System games, and even Game Gear games from your MD via the gg2sms hacks, most with some glitches though.

If you can afford it, get a Mega SD instead. It also has a Mega CD fpga emulator inside so you can play the games without a Mega CD.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

You'll need a firmware too: http://krikzz.com/pub/support/mega-everdrive/x3x5x7/OS/ Obviously the one at the bottom, turns out I'm a few revisions behind myself. Just place the folder as it is in the zip file on the SD card. The PDF manual is a folder back.

If you want to play Master System you'll need the bios files for it, placed in the firmware's folder. Shouldn't be too hard to find, there's a text file in the firmware folder that tells you what the bios files need to be named.

If you ever add games later, and you care whether they show up in order, you'll want to pull the folder you add to off the SD card and back onto it after adding the game(s). Alternatively there are programs to sort files for drives like this.

Master of Shinobi

drivesort is one of the most popular. BTW mine is an "old" Everdrive MD v3 (the slow loading ones) and it doens't need any SMS bios, is that a regression? In only needs MDOS.BIN file in EDMD folder and that's it.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    If you ever add games later, and you care whether they show up in order, you'll want to pull the folder you add to off the SD card and back onto it after adding the game(s). Alternatively there are programs to sort files for drives like this.
    Really? I thought Everdrives had enough power to sort the files themselves. never noticed.. then again its been ages since I last added something new to mine.

Master of Shinobi

there are new and interesting hacks, demos, etc. almost every month, though.

Mine does some sort of sorting, like in the first letter gets sorted but when you have something like
    Sonic 1
    Sonic 2
    Sonic 3
    if you copied one of them after the other two, that one will appear in the third position. It looks that it does NOT sort special characters (spaces, etc) ?

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

I had a discussion with Krikkz about that a while ago, there's something wonky going on with the sorting. but it does sort.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

I read the file in the zip and yeah the bios's are not needed. I guess it acts like it would with a power base converter if you have them, not sure what that difference would be myself.

As for order, maybe if you have a lot of games in a folder. I actually have a ton in one folder, still less than say 300, but still. Adding to it, you might see something that begins with "S" in the middle of the games that begin with "C," even if you have the order thing turned on.

Master of Shinobi

mine briefly outputs "FAT sorting" upon boot. But yeah it sometimes just picks some files folloing the actual FAT table so Drivesort is mandatory if you want proper ordering. It's convenient software as it doesn't move/re-copy the files as other programs do

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

It only sorts by the first 5 characters (or something like that), which is why our Sonic ROMs look like a total mess.

At some point Krikzz actually removed the file-sorting (somewhere around V2/X7 rebranding, I think), but enough people complained for him to bring it back.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Weak console + people who put entire rom catalogs in a single folder = bad experience and complaining customers when sorting their massive directory takes ten seconds.

Master of Shinobi

I actually have more than 100 folders and subfolders on my 4 GB card, mind you. Around 2000 roms total. I mostly do 21 files or less folders so I donīt even have to scroll pages so that is not the problem here. Proper sorting is. Sorting is almost instant in my case. Thatīs not the issue.

Thread Information