Quantcast

Thread: Sonic 3 prototype dated November 3rd, 1993

Wildside Expert

Default Sonic 3 prototype dated November 3rd, 1993

Gameplay was just live streamed. Lots of differences including music. Check it out...

Game Play
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WCL-GZucUxA

Music
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...el8PBU2hxgdd7n

Do you have TP??? Raging in the Streets Cornholio857's Avatar

Was an amazing stream! Hydrocity was great. Different background and art. And the unused BGM played toward the end of the stream, fantastic! I can't wait to see what is found buried in the ROM.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Someone on youtube already pointed this out, but I think it's amazing how some levels in this version use the same music as the later PC release. I always thought the PC music was written later just for that version, but I guess It's the other way around.

I remember once hearing a theory about how changing some of the music for the PC release was SEGA's way of scrubbing Michael Jackson's work from the game. I wonder if this music showing up on the Genesis prototype either helps confirm or discredit theory in one way or another.

Were there any previous sonic 3 genesis protos to include this PC version music, or is this the first one?
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    I remember once hearing a theory about how changing some of the music for the PC release was SEGA's way of scrubbing Michael Jackson's work from the game. I wonder if this music showing up on the Genesis prototype either helps confirm or discredit theory in one way or another.
    I think this proves it that the PC version used the different songs because of the Jacko connection, but who can say if they did it intentionally or if they just used a different source base. The PC version songs are obviously the originals composed for the game though; this prototype confirms that not only by virtue of being there, but also because they are very similar to all the other tunes in the game (one of them even using the same drum riffs as Hydrocity).
    It's the Jacko songs that stand out in contrast, using different style, the act 1/2 versions not having any differences beyond one channel being muted, and of course the fact that they have been found to have similarities to other Jacko songs.

The PC version using different songs was such an obvious clue that I don't really consider this reveal jaw-dropping. It has been staring us in the face for 20 years. But it's nice to see it confirmed.

As far as I know none of the other Sonic 3 protos had these tracks, but those were all later in the development cycles, during the Sonic 3C/Knuckles split, so it's not surprising.

What I wonder is if anyone ever actually tried to port back the PC songs to sonic 3 in the form of a rom hack? I find it hard to believe that nobody ever tried that.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Nov 3rd 1993 seems awfully late to the game's release date for this prototype, it has to be wrong. It seems far earlier.

Click image above for my Youtube channel.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    What I wonder is if anyone ever actually tried to port back the PC songs to sonic 3 in the form of a rom hack? I find it hard to believe that nobody ever tried that.
    Yeah, Sonic 3 Complete has the PC tracks available as an option (I can't recommend that hack enough for anyone who's a fan of Sonic 3&K or simply wants to play the definitive version).

I just finished reading through a thread about this at Sonic Retro. Tons of interesting stuff, for sure. A version of the drop dash all the way back in '93? I can't wait for someone to make a hack of the final build that includes all this stuff (I have a feeling that Sonic 3C will become active again after this).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Pha's Avatar

A pleasant surprise this Sonic 3 prototype, thank you, it is interesting to be able to compare the ideas put forward and the choices that have not been retained or replaced...

It will energize (among others) https://project2612.org/
    An innovative game on md/gs ? I vote for.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    Nov 3rd 1993 seems awfully late to the game's release date for this prototype, it has to be wrong. It seems far earlier.
    especially when the final build was 17 days later, but the footage was awesome, and what tracks were on the pc version?

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    The ROM header implies October (with November 3 being the day the EPROMs were programmed). It's still not that much time, mind you. The 2P sprites are already based on the final ones, so that implies the new sprites already existed but just hadn't been implemented yet.

Also yeah, expecting Sonic 3 Complete to update with the prototype renditions of the S&KC tracks (which honestly sound way better than any other rendition so far, yikes guess we shouldn't have tried to stick to the MIDIs too hard).

Level 1 Blast Processor Road Rasher

The ROM header could have been set based on a speculative release date or internal deadline, it's a fair guess but not a reliable timestamp. I'm still gobsmacked at the entire project's turnaround time, though, problems and all! Crazy short dev times back then.

Massive, massive find! Hats off to everyone involved. Gonna be picking at this for years to come.

Well, so far the prototypes we find seem to try to keep the ROM header date around the build date (rather than the release date as the documentation claims) so I believe that the general consensus back then was that it represented the build date. But even then it was… often out of date or stuff like that. ROM header for prototypes isn't 100% reliable.

On the other hand, the EPROMs were burned on November 3rd, so an October build date isn't that unlikely (as you'd expect the chips to be burned with a reasonably recent build of the game).

In the industry, it's very common builds don't contain all current WIP stuff because some staff members don't think it's worth submitting their stuff before it's done (for one reason or another). Which could mean probably had levels, sprites and sound much closer to being complete at the date of this proto, it's just not seen in it.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Thread Information