Quantcast

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: In your opinion is the console industry cartelized?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Do you want another Gamecube?
    Why not? nintendo has always launched a console and handheld with high end specs, GC / GBA

Note all controls are the same except for the analog position, they all have the same characteristics, the Stadia control is a dualshock plagiarism, in a market where there is competition everything is different, remember Genesis vs Snes? they owned most of the separate games, today we have PC, XB and PS4 operating with 85% of the same games Iwata said; Basically what separates the machines are small feature and the price.

I don't know if you're a Xbox guy, but tell me, if nintendo had a console that could run multplats like xbox one, but the difference between them would be exclusives, would xbox survive?

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Nintendo wouldn't survive in that scenario. Nintendo didn't survive consoles. Too costly and they took up the space Xbox and Sony occupied. They were a third wheel since PS2 era.

They found their market of the combo of both. The switch is good enough to run Witcher 3, Doom. Wolfenstein, Warframe, DQXI. It's just good enough. Falcom just announced they are now fully on board with the system and Falcom in the past wasn't a big Nintendo supporter. So it has loads of Japanese support. Decent western support. A shit ton of indie support and it's outsold Xbox One by now. They always had more success in handhelds than home consoles. They combined both and Switch is on pace to outsell the Wii. There are more copies of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold on Switch than the number of Gamecubes ever made. More copies of Mario Odyssey exist than Wii U consoles exist. That's where we are at.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I've rarely seen Nintendo ever truly innovate, we even had Gametrak before the Wii... Waits for the Power Glove to hit back
    I know you meant that as an insult, but don't really think even Nintendo themselves would claim to be true innovators... at least from a hardware standpoint. Their biggest successes are when they've taken outdated tech and retooled it in a way that appeals to modern audiences. It works for them and works for the consumer, so what is your point?

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Nintendoís online service is miles behind PSN and LIVE. Their core audience is the reason they got out of the hardware power race.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Here's my friend code add me maybe. 0118 999 881 999 119 725....3

Whomever at Nintendo came up with the idea of FC's I swear...

WCPO Agent

I don't expect any games console to be the first device to introduce a new technology. That was what we had arcades for back in the day, and high end gaming PCs today. A console is supposed to deliver good games using that tech. If you take the other route -- focusing on hardware innovation and making games an afterthought -- you end up with products like the CD-i.

Nintendo has made a lot of mistakes but they've also shown you can make money without copying the competition. That's what I'd want to see from new players entering the market.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    I know you meant that as an insult, but don't really think even Nintendo themselves would claim to be true innovators... at least from a hardware standpoint.
    Its no meant as an insult but as a statement of fact. I've seen Shigeru Miyamoto many times make out only NCL innovates and how NCL like to keep things secret to stop people copying. In almost every case a corp in the West have done it long before or SEGA long before NCL, in the console space
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Sony's Jim Ryan today confirmed that sony will no longer to produce a portable, okay nintendo has dominated this industry from the start, but we haven't seen a lot of competitors over time, now, they want to leave nintendo alone in most absolute monopoly, answer me if this is normal?
    Last edited by SegaAMD; 12-04-2019 at 01:30 PM.

The only handheld that ever challenged Nintendo was the PSP. And that was because it had a rear lit, high quality, LCD screen and hardware that was 80% the power of its current console. Meanwhile Nintendoís GBA was a portable SNES and the DS was a portable N64, in terms of power. The Vita was like having a portable PS3, with an OLED screen, and the price tag reflected that. Nobody wanted to pay over $300 for a portable gaming console, and the Vita flopped because of that. I donít think that Sony wanted to have another video game device fail like the Vita did.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    Sony's Jim Ryan today confirmed that sony will no longer to produce a portable, okay nintendo has dominated this industry from the start, but we haven't seen a lot of competitors over time, now, they want to leave nintendo alone in most absolute monopoly, answer me if this is normal?
    There are likely more Android phones in the U.S. alone than global 3DS and Switch sales combined, if anyone's got a monopoly on portable gaming devices right now it isn't Nintendo. Also isn't Stadia portable?

Yes but Stadia is a flop but it's there. Xcloud is also out there. Then we have iPhones. Xcloud does have some of the same issues as Stadia with input lag according to DF. Sony has PSNow and Remote play as well.

the game market has been like this since SEGA left

WCPO Agent

No it hasn't. The Switch has sold nearly as many units as the XBOne in half the time and there's still 75 million 3DSs out there (with tens of millions of copies of Pokťmon games alone). Not to mention huge numbers of people gaming on PCs and mobile devices. A lot of the top selling games for both XBOne and PS4 are available on Windows too.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Man, I really donít understand where youíre coming from. Just because no other console has come out in competition with XBox and PlayStation, thatís hardly an indication that Sony and Microsoft are actively shutting down the competition (not that I doubt they would try). It really just means that no one else wants to. The only other companies who have the capital to give it a good run would be Amazon and ... well, Google. Itís just too hard and too risky. Even for bigger companies, itís probably not worth the hassle.

Nintendo has the capital, but they are smart when it comes to drawing the battle lines.

Thread Information