Quantcast

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Xbox Series X (Official Thread)

The Howling Wind Force Wildside Expert Kaze Okami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    The GPU inside of the One X was based around the RX 480 and is said to have the same amount of power as the RX 580. It's slightly faster than the 6GB GTX 1060 and will sometimes match a 1070 on a rare occasion. Still, AMD's driver support has had quite a bad history of being extremely slow at being updated. What they call fine wine, is them finally getting the most out of the GPUs, long after they have become irrelevant.

We've heard all of these same rumours back with the Vega GPUs and the Navi GPUs and they've never lived up to the hype.

I brought up the 2080 Ti, because the next Xbox is being touted as having 12 Tereflops of performance and having games running at 4K/120. I was pointing out that even the $1,200 2080 Ti wasn't capable of doing that with most games, and it is quite a bit more powerful than 12TF. The RTX 2080 Super is a 10.1 TF single precision GPU, that is more than capable of handling 4k/60, but most definitely not 4K/120 without some serious downgrades in graphics settings.
    Did you skip the part I wrote where it was never officially stated that 4K/120 was going to be the standard? You're basing your argument on something the Xbox team never said. All they said is 4K/60 and that it's capable of doing up 120fps and up to 8K. So for games that are built with next gen hardware in mind devs could offer the option to play in either a 4K/60fps mode or a 1080P-1440P/120fps mode, similar to the various performance options many games on XB1X and PS4 Pro offer today. I can see less taxing games like Ori getting away with a 4K/120fps mode though.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaze Okami View Post
    Did you skip the part I wrote where it was never officially stated that 4K/120 was going to be the standard? You're basing your argument on something the Xbox team never said. All they said is 4K/60 and that it's capable of doing up 120fps and up to 8K. So for games that are built with next gen hardware in mind devs could offer the option to play in either a 4K/60fps mode or a 1080P-1440P/120fps mode, similar to the various performance options many games on XB1X and PS4 Pro offer today. I can see less taxing games like Ori getting away with a 4K/120fps mode though.
    Well, when they mention 4K@120 that is not for straight up video playback (film is 24fps), unless they are still supporting the dead 3D movie format, or 3D games. It's really a pissing match stat.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Well, when they mention 4K@120 that is not for straight up video playback (film is 24fps), unless they are still supporting the dead 3D movie format, or 3D games. It's really a pissing match stat.
    How is it a pissing match stat? Games that run at higher framerates look more fluid in motion and feel more responsive to play in general. Calling it a pissing match stat is a pathetic argument.

How is it a pissing match stat? Games that run at higher framerates look more fluid in motion and feel more responsive to play in general. Calling it a pissing match stat is a pathetic argument.
    I game at 144Hz, on my PC. I'm well aware of what games play better at a higher FPS. You'll find that most PC gamers on high refresh rate monitors are doing it @1080p or 1440p, because the hardware required to do 4K @120Hz plus is very expensive.

The games that will run @4K/120 on Xbox Series X will probably be something like Bloodstained, and really, 60 fps is all you need for a game like that. It really is a pissing match stat, because the games you'd really want to run at 120 hz at 4K would have to have visuals severly compromised to do so, or down-scaled to a lower resolution like One X does.
    Last edited by gamevet; 12-14-2019 at 09:42 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

WCPO Agent

Is it actually possible to see a difference between 60 and 120 fps? I wouldn't know since I don't own a 120 hz display. I think the main benefit of that kind of refresh rate would be in a VR headset or something.

I game at 144Hz, on my PC. I'm well aware of what games play better at a higher FPS. You'll find that most PC gamers on high refresh rate monitors are doing it @1080p or 1440p, because the hardware required to do 4K @120Hz plus is very expensive.

The games that will run @4K/120 on Xbox Series X will probably be something like Bloodstained, and really, 60 fps is all you need for a game like that. It really is a pissing match stat, because the games you'd really want to run at 120 hz at 4K would have to have visuals severly compromised to do so, or down-scaled to a lower resolution like One X does.
    The idea of it being a "pissing match stat" is ludicrous and once again it's just you pushing the 4K/120fps narrative here. I said that games on the XSX with a 120fps mode would likely run at 1080P-1440P so that they don't sacrifice graphical details with only much less GPU taxing games being able to achieve a 4K/120fps mode without any sacrifices. How is this so hard for you to comprehend? If you can't understand this simple concept then I give up as it feels like you've only been reading into half of what I've said so far.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Is it actually possible to see a difference between 60 and 120 fps? I wouldn't know since I don't own a 120 hz display. I think the main benefit of that kind of refresh rate would be in a VR headset or something.
    The fluidity is def noticeable and button inputs feel more responsive. Action games like Devil May Cry V absolutely sing with a higher fps cap.

The idea of it being a "pissing match stat" is ludicrous and once again it's just you pushing the 4K/120fps narrative here. I said that games on the XSX with a 120fps mode would likely run at 1080P-1440P so that they don't sacrifice graphical details with only much less GPU taxing games being able to achieve a 4K/120fps mode without any sacrifices. How is this so hard for you to comprehend? If you can't understand this simple concept then I give up as it feels like you've only been reading into half of what I've said so far.
    My original response was that there is no way the hardware will run 4K games at 120Hz, and I stand behind that comment. Yeah, it'll run games like Bloodstained at 120 fps, but that isn't the kind of game that someone is thinking of when they see those stats.

The stat sheet clearly boasts 8K/4K @120Hz. How hard is it for you to comprehend that?

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...l=1#post853709
    Last edited by gamevet; 12-14-2019 at 11:12 PM.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

The trailer for this system talking about Dreams coming true. Should have just called it Xbox Dreamcast X.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    1) Yeah, the difference is noticeable
    2) Indeed it's pretty much needed to avoid motion sickness in VR (which apparently seems to need at least 90 FPS without lag to avoid it for most people)

Looks kinda lame, sounds kinda lame. I'll stick with my Switch.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Not official but renders comparing the size of the thing.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

The RTX 2080 Ti is a 16.1 teraflop GPU. MS is boasting that the GPU in the next Xbox will be 12 teraflops.
    I think its already been proven that going on Teraflops alone is pointless, with the jump to Navi. Even with the basic Jaguar core CPU and a 6 Teraflop Vega GPU one can play the likes of Forza 7, Halo V in Native 4k and at 60 fps
    Given the monumental leap, we're going to see next-gen we're going to see a lot of games run in 4k and at 60 fps.
    8k, 120 fps is a bit of crap and you'll also need HDMI 2.1 but no doubt a simple crap looking game will hit 8k and they'll be some games hitting 120fps
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Thierry Henry View Post
    LOL!! But now you blocked that air vent, so as soon as the game gets going it will blast the PS5 off of there like a volcano.

Thread Information