Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ishido: Way of the Stones

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Senix
    Thats the first review here I didnt enjoy. Why do you even bother reviewing a game, when you dont like "horrendously boring Asian tile games"? Its like saying that a chess game sucks when you hate playing chess.
    Agreed. This review lacks credibility IMO. Ishido certainly isn't great, but still, it would've been better reviewed by someone who is a fan of Shanghai.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

It is always possible to revise a review that gets lots of criticism. Maybe the staff writer just have to think again and revise a paragraph or two.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

I see some of you aren't content with my review of Ishido but I would like you to bear in mind I was well in my rights to review it however I wanted to. The opinions I expressed in the review were just that; my opinions, and you are entitled to your opinions as well and I am happy to see you have them. I ran down aesthetic, technical and gameplay aspects and I believe I ran them down accurately. I will not be revising Ishido and I can assure you that even if I did enjoy Shanghai I would have reviewed it in exactly the same manner.
    Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33Ghz, 2 GB Samsung DDR2, GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB, 320 Gb Maxtor, Logitech wireless

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

How can you review gameplay accurately when you dont like the way its meant to be played in the first place? I´m sure that if you would like Shanghai this game wouldnt have got a 1/10 just because it still has the game mechanics of Shanghai. So even when you forget the graphics and sound you can still have some fun with the tile game. And that´s what this game is about.

Of course everybody has their opinion but while "ThiS is TEH bAst game EVARR!!" is also one its missing the point of this side: to have neutral and accurate but also fun reviews of old games for an old system we love.

Quote Originally Posted by Senix
    How can you review gameplay accurately when you dont like the way its meant to be played in the first place?
    To be honest with you I have played some really, really good Shanghai/Tile based games in my time - Shanghai Dynasty for the PC was a shining example. The fact that Ishido is so repetitive with little graphical or audial impressiveness is what dragged the score down. I do in fact like Shanghai/Tilebased games so I do in fact know what makes a good Shanghai/Tilebased game
    Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33Ghz, 2 GB Samsung DDR2, GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB, 320 Gb Maxtor, Logitech wireless

Ishido certainly isn't great, but still, it would've been better reviewed by someone who is a fan of Shanghai.
    But then it'd be biased the other way, and certainly a minority perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by AxelStone
    To be honest with you I have played some really, really good Shanghai/Tile based games in my time - Shanghai Dynasty for the PC was a shining example. The fact that Ishido is so repetitive with little graphical or audial impressiveness is what dragged the score down. I do in fact like Shanghai/Tilebased games so I do in fact know what makes a good Shanghai/Tilebased game
    I know you said you wouldn't edit your review, but maybe throwing this in somewhere would help out future readers.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyT
    I know you said you wouldn't edit your review, but maybe throwing this in somewhere would help out future readers.
    Good point, I'll consider it

Eidolon

Default This is the first time...

...a Sega-16 actually inspires me to write something.

I also heartily disagree with the review. I actually liked the game so much that I built my own boardgame version of it (have to make a few photos to prove it...).

The game is NOT simple, if you strive to get as many "Four Ways" as possible and maximise your score.

The only thing I dislike about Ishido is the fact that luck is a too important factor. It is really rare that you make more than 4-5 Four Ways due to the way the stones are drawn from the pouch.

My highest Four Way count so far was 7 - and I still play the game from time to time in the hope of achieving nirvana by FINALLY getting all possible 11 Four Ways.

Thread Information