• Jaguar

31 17.61%
  • None, they all suck!

21 11.93%
Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: 32X vs. 3DO vs. Jaguar

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Sony wasn't going to ship millions of units, if they aren't selling.
    True, but it's not like they sold instantly. It's a bit misleading to talk about units shipped when discussing a particular time frame.

I brought up 1997, because you were saying that the numbers weren't comparable, because the Saturn was dicontinued in 1998. The fact remains that the Playstation shipped/sold over 10 million units in Japan by the end of 1997; far eclipsing the total number of Saturns sold in the land of the rising sun.
    It's indisputable that Playstation outsold Saturn in Japan in 1997. But the two systems were launched in 1994. There's a big gap there, during which (or at least a large part of which) Saturn was ahead.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jesus.arnold View Post
    Firstly I have to say that I have a very limited knowledge of the PS1 game library, partly due to the fact that I didn't have one originally, but mostly due to the fact that there are just soooooo many games (over 5000 releases) so I'm probably ignorant of at least 50% of the good platformers.

Apart from the aforementioned Lomax, Klonoa, Abe's Odysee, and Heart of Darkness, there's Strider 2, Abe's Exodus, Tombi 1, Tombi 2, Gunners Heaven, Mega Man X 5, Mega Man X 6, Umihara Kawase Shun, Wild 9, Skull Monkeys, Hermie Hopperhead, Metal Slug X. Also, seeing as you're already mentioning decent-good tier games most of the disney platformers such as Hercules and Peter Pan could also be considered.
    Abe's Exoddus was included in my original comment (there are two Oddworld games, just as there are two Clockwork Knight games). Mega Man X6 sucked. I'll give you Mega Man X5 and Skull Monkeys. I'm not sure what Hermie Hopperhead is, so maybe that too. Several of those aren't platformers -- just because a game is viewed from the side doesn't make it a platformer. And I wasn't including Japanese imports, because both systems probably have obscure Japanese platformers I've never heard of, but if we're going to go there, Saturn also has Bubble Symphony, Liquid Kids, and Super Tempo.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Several of those aren't platformers -- just because a game is viewed from the side doesn't make it a platformer.
    No, every single one of those games was a platformer, some of them are more specifically "Run-and-gun" games. The Run and gun genre is a sub genre of platformer (Run and Gun = platformer-shooter hybrid) therefore all run and gun games are platformer's by definition.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Tanegashima View Post
    What about:
    Far superior versions of:

Rayman
    Mega Man 8 & X4

Thunderforce V
    Metal Slug (not missing tons of animations, sounds and does not have laggish controls)
    Silhouette Mirage
    Stop exaggerating . replace "far superior" with "slightly better" and you'll be closer to the truth, though I can only talk for Rayman and Thunder Force V they could hardly be called far superior, Thunder Force V has a few of the backgrounds toned down a bit but it's still the same game, in fact it actually has more options than the Saturn version and looks better texture wise in some areas.

For a game that really is far superior on the Saturn look towards Marvel VS Street Fighter, you can't even tag mid game in the PS1 version!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanegashima View Post
    In the Hunt (I think it's better on the Saturn than PSX)
    Actually the general concensus seems to be that the PS1 version is superior

Quote Originally Posted by MN12BIRD
    You don't need any special hardware to playback an MP3, just the right software and a processor fast enough to decode it so the years they are released has nothing to do with it.
    You are correct however you'd still need the sound hardware that is good enough to play back 44.1 Khz 16-bit stereo audio in real time that isn't streamed from the CD via redbook. I doubt the 32X could do this. If somebody knows its PWM capabilities better than I, speak up! Not sure about the Jaguar or 3DO.

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Actually the general concensus seems to be that the PS1 version is superior
    I bought the import Saturn version and my friend owns the PS1 version. We compared them side by side, but to be honest I don't remember which one was better. I know that one of them had an extra scroll in the first level, but I can't remember which version

The PS1 tends to have a soft composite output while the Saturn is sharper. For 2D, I prefer the Saturn for it's video output.

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MN12BIRD View Post
    I would think the 3DO "could" playback "some" MP3s like lower compression, super low KHz, mono, Non-VBR but even that would be pushing it!

Anyone?
    You can play MP3 even on a MD, but its not real-time playback... you read a chunk, then decompress it, and play it... each chunk would take probably minutes to decompress on MD...

I actually don't know how much processing power is required to decompress MP3 nicely... my P166 couldn't play very many files simultaneously...
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post

It's indisputable that Playstation outsold Saturn in Japan in 1997. But the two systems were launched in 1994. There's a big gap there, during which (or at least a large part of which) Saturn was ahead.
    The Saturn had a very small lead between December of 2005 (the launch of Virtua Fighter 2 in Japan) and the middle of 2006. We're talking maybe a couple 100K of difference between the two. You really couldn't call either one the market leader.

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

Interestingly more software was sold for the Saturn.
    Last edited by Iron Lizard; 08-26-2008 at 12:29 PM.

Wow,Im finally able to post. Last time I checked I couldn't.. At any rate someone on the 3DO forum pointed this thread out,and alot of good points are made defending all 3 of the systems. In the end,it sometimes comes down to personal taste alot of the time too but even then there is no denying your fav of the 3 may not actually be the best. Im siding with the 3DO. This is my main list of titles I can come up with off the top of my head (still alot missing off the list) that I really love for the 3DO that really help keep the system on top with me,and many others:

Need for Speed
    Twisted
    Zhadnost: The People's Party
    Road Rash
    Crash and Burn
    Mega Race
    Wing Commander 3,Heart of the Tiger
    Out of this World
    Flashback (has CG story scenes and better audio then the Jaguar, and controls better)
    Guardian War
    Wolfenstien (the 3DO version is the best. The music kicks ass. All the levels are there ,superior audio, it controls better, and the graphics are better then the Jag period.)
    P'oed
    Myst
    Killing Time
    Super Wing Commander
    Pheonix 3
    Shockwave
    Shockwave 2:Beyound the Gate.
    Tetsujin 1 and 2 AKA Iron Angel of the Apocalypse and,The Return
    Burning Soldier
    Star Blade
    Off World Interceptor
    Strahl
    Syndicate
    Trip'D
    Theme park
    Alone in the Dark 1 and 2
    Star Control 2
    Battle Chess
    Space Hulk
    Super SF 2 Turbo
    Policenauts
    Lucienne's Quest
    Return Fire an Maps of Death Add on
    Novastorm
    Microcosm
    Primal Rage (far better then the 32X and Jag CD ports in every way)
    Royal Pro Wrestling
    Princess Maker
    Quarantine
    Ultraman Powered
    Montana Jones
    Way of the Warrior
    Blade Force
    Samurai Shodown
    Gex
    Yu Yu Hakusho
    Bust a Move
    Capt. Quazar
    D
    Hell
    Gridders
    Sailor Moon
    Demolition Man
    Dragons Lair
    The Horde

Im going to say too,yes the very first revision control pad with the FZ-1 wasn't the best. It def wasn't cheap,but the thumb pad was stiff and had issues, as was the Goldstar pad. Later Panasonic revisions do not have this problem. None of the official pads really felt cheap nor broke easy.

That all used the same types of ABS plastic and rubber as any other solid pad for other systems. I never had a single one break on me,nor on anyone I knew who used them heavily. Now the cheap third party pads,those tended to feel kinda cheap and broke down,but so did those same partys pads for other systems too, nothing new.

I like the Jaguar and 32X both alot. There are titles on them both I really enjoy,but in the end nothing on those systems other then a few of the titles on Jag can actually compete visually or audio wise with the 3DO (Doom, Wolfenstien, AVP, Ultra Vortek,not many others....). The 32X got some really great titles but is a no go on trying to be on the same level as the 3DO. To close this post I am posting a bunch of pics of 3DO titles during gameplay.

How I feel about it is this,you want to say the Jag or 32X was better,then their selection should be able to stand toe to toe with these games and its clear they cant. Since neither system did,it is pretty clear the 3DO was the best of the 3 in overall selection and system ability, hands down. Even if you hate the system for what ever personal reasons,it simply had the best and most games of the 3,and offered the best visual/audio experience.

Last edited by Michael Helgeson; 09-02-2008 at 06:57 PM.

Yeah...

3DO = Win!

Master of Shinobi

well there ya go! that guy probably had more favourite 3DO games than the actual total number of releases on the 32X

Ha ha clearly.

However I do have a few comments about some of the games (not in relation to the 32X or jag, just general comments):

Twisted-
    This is a rental at best for me. I thought it was funny that one contestant was abandoned in a movie theater and raised by ushers, but I don't think I laughed at anything after that.

Zhadnost: The People's Party-
    Never heard of it.

Mega Race-
    This game is bad on any platform unless you like FMV stuff. But for FMV racers, I still think Road Avenger is by far teh bestest evar.

Super Wing Commander-
    This game is awful... unless maybe you are a Wing Commander fan. The MIDI music will put you into a coma. I liked the intro even though it was slow, though. I kept thinking how low Luke Skywalker had stepped to be talking to the lion from The Wizard of Oz. Actually the lion costume in this game wasn't even that good! One character also has a horribly fake Scottish accent.

Guardian War-
    This game has GREAT music, I wish it were CD quality. The game itself was marketed as an RPG which misled me. It's a strategy game.

Shockwave-
    I never cared much for the Shockwave games.

Off World Interceptor Extreme-
    I thought the Saturn version was the one called "Extreme", but I don't remember. However what I DO remember is that there was an Off-World Interceptor demo on one of the monthly/bi-monthly 3DO demo discs. It featured terrain to drive around and it was really fun. When the actual game came out, it was not as fun as the demo. They added a whole bunch of weapons and sci-fi elements which totally ruined the fun of driving around rambunctiously.

Star Control 2-
    This is a game for computer gamers, not videogamers. As such I returned it for a full refund.

Super SF 2 Turbo-
    This was a good translation for the most part. The lack of scrolls made me think I was playing the PC Engine version. Also I wish the music selections lasted longer before they faded out and looped. Most are barely a minute! And although it has nothing to do with the 3DO, I really REALLY hate the announcer's super wimpy voice in the SUPER SF games.

Return Fire-
    Great game at the time, but today it seems like a minigame.

Microcosm-
    More FMV nonsense. Sure the FMV looks better, but it is still FMV. There are few good FMV games. This is not one of them.

Ultraman Powered-
    Ultraman is to be hated. I demand it!

Way of the Warrior-
    I thought the graphics were cool since they were able to scroll multiple layers more smoothly than Gex without any problems. The characters themselves look amateurish at best and are not even up to cosplay standards. The game itself is no good. Rob Zombie is also to be hated. Still, good graphics!

Samurai Shodown-
    Not really my cup of tea on any platform.

Gex-
    Better on the PS and Saturn (it scrolls more smoothly).

Gridders-
    I recall this being a minigame included on a demo CD. Did they actually release a full version of it? Good music.

Demolition Man-
    This was absolutely awful, even worse than the movie if you can imagine that. Tommy Tallarico must be ashamed.

Dragons Lair-
    This was good, but the video was still a bit chinsey. Not as good as the CDi video.

The Horde-
    This game wasn't too bad. Didn't it have Kirk Cameron in his greatest role?
    Last edited by Joe Redifer; 08-27-2008 at 11:42 PM.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    Star Control 2-
    This is a game for computer gamers, not videogamers. As such I returned it for a full refund.
    Star Control 2 is a game for anyone with taste who has an attention span, if I were to put it into a group with it's peers from that generation it would go with Final Fantasy 7, Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid and Mario 64, basically put, it represents the highest echelon of gaming from that period, the elite, the greatest, the games that laugh in the faces of all other games, the games that proclaim their ultimate godliness whilst standing on the shoulders of giants.

Ha ha,yea I accidentally added Extreme to the end of it. Its the same game on all 3 platforms though. You got Wing Commander 3 confused with Super,no live actors in Super. Gridders got a full on release, its a pretty fun one. I have always loved the Mega Race series,though to me part 1 on 3DO will always be the best. It looked/ran alot better then the Dos version. For that matter I enjoy most of the FMV rail shooters. True it would have been nice if Road Avenger was on 3DO also,but at least it got Strahl. Dragons Lair on CD-I needs the mpeg card,without it you cant run it,but that was the reason it looked so good. The 3DO is still pretty nice. The Jag cd one is very ugly.
    Check out this DL CD-I review lol,poor guy sounds so sad while reviewing it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4exDAGo_ps

The key thing about the 3DO is basically that it was like a fast computer at the time with 3d and 2d game graphics ability most pcs simply couldn't do at the time of its release. Due to that though,yea you got alot of stuff on there that feels like pc games,and if you're not into that,you wont enjoy the system in some regards. Part of the reason the thing was so expensive at the time was due to the cost of the hardware. It was a pretty expensive system to build back in 93 due to the Risc cpu, custom chips, and 2x cd drive,memory,ect..

Thread Information