Quantcast

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Death & Return of Superman

What's there not to follow? I mentioned during the course of the game, Superman suddenly falls dead even before I confronted Doomsday. Which should be a lead into the point that Superman, perennial and immortal boyscout, dies just like a random schmoe. In a title based around his battle with Doomsday - the one responsible for killing him - seeing Supes die this early even before meeting up with him is uh, a really bad thing.
    juxtapixel.wordpress.com • Twitter @Diogo_Ribeiro

Well, Superman is such a horrible character that I can't fault any game for not keeping him "true" to his source. He'll strain to stop a speeding train one moment, and the next he appears to struggle to stop a massive meteor hurling straight toward Earth. He'll shrug off some projectiles while others hurt him or even knock him back. Even writers for Superman struggle with making him interesting since his power is essentially limitless under normal conditions, but he needs to appear to have to work towards things which should be effortless for him. He'd be far more boring if Superman handled ever incident within a second or two that, according to his character, he should be capable of doing.

I used to think the best way to handle Superman in a game is to impose a time limit, give him all his powers, and just have him try to stop the major villains in time while being surrounded by his usual day to day Metropolis accidents that steal his attention. Yet, of course, Superman can technically travel back in time, too, so even that can be a point of contention. This is why they will never be a good Superman game, because he's just not a good character. Otherwise, the game would have to be braindead and incredible easy.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Kollision View Post
    The Spider-Man clone saga is an underestimated one. I will never understand why people hated it so much, or why they wouldn't even give it a chance whatsoever.
    As for Superman, I never really saw anything worth of mentioning/playing in any of the game versions I've put my eyes on.
    The problem with the Spider-Man clone Saga is that it was long and drawn out with shock twists added in just to increase readership in the short term, without thought into the effects it would have on the comic book in the long run, the ending was a huge kick in the teeth to anyone who'd been following the character for any amount of time as it effectively nullified everything that had gone before that you had previously read for like the past 20 years of the comic!, and it completely threw the whole thing into disarray because every element of the core storyline had to be changed, there was no real way of coming back from it besides re-writing, which is pretty much what they had to do in the end from what I remember.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Wow. Lol. I wanted to discuss the awesomeness of this game, but was persuaded instead to revive this thread. Is this game really that bad? I loved how it went from a Beat M Up in one level to a shmupster of sorts midway-through. I liked the colors, the character design, the level design and, most of all, the gameplay. But anyways, that's just my cookie. What's yours, sega-16 of June, 2010?

P.S.> I must reiterate: I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE This title.
    Last edited by QuickSciFi; 06-17-2010 at 05:18 PM.

Chess Grand Master Outrunner Hiarcs's Avatar

¿How good is this game?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Venture View Post
    The problem with putting Superman into a beat 'em up is that Superman is damn near invincible and a BEU requires a hero that isn't. Nobody wants to play as Superman without his powers, and playing as a guy who can't be hurt by normal "thugs" is a boring game.
    This always happens to comic book characters. Spider-man for instance, is strong enough to lift 20 tons, yet he is fighting street thugs in a beat'em up.

In movies, cartoons, live action shows, you name it, comic book characters are weakened. Some times dramatically, not to mention the storyline trashed.

I just got this game and played thru the first two levels. Not as bad IMO as commonly thought of. Superman cannot rush, rush/charge, only one in air move, no back hit move. He does have the super move, laser eye, two throws, pick up objects to throw, and he can fly. Also, the enemies get interesting with their weapons and attacks. Enemies have good AI but the bosses are kind of cheap. Sprites are large and look good. Backrounds and music get the job done. I'd easily rate this higher than TMNT or Power Rangers but it seems I'm in the minority.

This game is just medicore. Beat em ups are tedious but this one is more tedious because the enemies are so repetitive. It reminded me of Maximum Carnage and Seperation Anxiety.

Megadrive Maniac Outrunner Crackdown's Avatar

The only half decent Superman game was the Sega arcade version
    To be this good takes AGES, to be this good takes SEGA!

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Sunsoft's Superman isn't bad either. I couldn't stand the Maximum Carnage/Seperation Anxiety and Death and Return of Superman games. They always seemed like SNES beat-em ups on my Genesis. I'm not to fan of Batman Returns on SNES either.

Master of Shinobi

Necrobump! Damn, this game's crap. I wanted to like it, and I usually avoid cheating with savestates but the the later levels of this drove me to it. Why is Superman so weak? What is the point of the projectile/beam attack when it does virtually no damage to regular enemies, no damage at all to the bosses, and doesn't stun? Why are there no invincibility frames on wake up? Why can't you hit two enemies at the same time? Why are there no supermove power-ups outside of the opening levels, and while we're at it why are the locations of some of the health power-ups so retarded (e.g. after first fight in a level but none after that)? Who though it was a good idea to have a final boss with an unblockable and undodgeable attack when you're probably going to be on your last life thanks to attrition throughout the last level? What is the point of having four different playable characters, with their own levels, when they all play the bloody same? Ghaaargh!

This game could have been pretty good if greater thought had been put into the design. As it was it just proved, along with Justice League Task Force, that Blizzard absolutely had no clue when it came to superhero games and probably beat-em ups in general.
    Last edited by Silanda; 01-01-2014 at 09:14 PM.

Beat Em Ups Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

This is an okay beat em up. There is definitely worse out there. It's most glaring issue is lack of 2P mode. Good graphics passable sound just lacks the polish that makes beat em ups great.
    Women Asian Please
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

WCPO Agent Cornelius Spunkwater's Avatar

The problem with Superman isn't his powers, he just needs to be placed in scenarios where he can be hurt. This means a lot fewer humans and a lot more aliens/superhumans

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

My theory on how a Superman game should work, is that it should center on him defending civilians. Boss battles would be like: you would damage the boss, he does something that puts civilians in danger, and you have to try to block the damage to them. Instead of a health bar for Superman himself, it would decrease the more damage the civies take.

WCPO Agent Cornelius Spunkwater's Avatar

There was a game like that. It was called Superman Returns, and it was awful.

Thread Information