Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6-Pak

6-Pak

A sure sign of a console's success is when some of its best-selling software is repackaged as a sort of "greatest hits" collection. All major publishers have done this (though Namco seems to have jumped the shark), and Sega is no different. Late in the life span of the Genesis, it released 6-Pak. No, that wasn't a member of Degeneration X; it was a compilation cartridge that held six titles, some more classic than others. Staff writer Zebbe chimes in with a full review, so read on and see if this one is worth saving shelf space over.

The real Ron Barr Nameless One Disengage's Avatar

I've seen this at the local store I buy Genesis games from but forget how much they sell it for. How much should I pay for it?

I like the closing line. Still, compilation reviews are always odd, as most of those games individually tend to warrant higher reviewer scores than they would grouped together. I guess the main problem is it lacks appeal to those looking to buy the original versions as well as not really being all that useful now that better Genesis compilations exist. The Nomad isn't viable for portable games compared to its competition for those considering it for traveling as well. Still should be a good, cheap way to pick up a few of those games if seen.

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Disengage
    I've seen this at the local store I buy Genesis games from but forget how much they sell it for. How much should I pay for it?
    Worth no more than five bucks. I own a copy, but I only ever play it because i dont own a copy of sonic 1 or golden axe. Well, it all depends on what games you have and what games you dont. They could have made a better 6 pak, in my opinion, but dont pay 15 bucks for sonic when you can get it in a six pack. Id say its a rip off for anything over five dollars, but dont buy it at all if its over 15 or 20. assuming your american. but we all know what happens when i assume. it makes an a** out of u and me. lol
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

The real Ron Barr Nameless One Disengage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trekbone87
    Worth no more than five bucks. I own a copy, but I only ever play it because i dont own a copy of sonic 1 or golden axe. Well, it all depends on what games you have and what games you dont. They could have made a better 6 pak, in my opinion, but dont pay 15 bucks for sonic when you can get it in a six pack. Id say its a rip off for anything over five dollars, but dont buy it at all if its over 15 or 20. assuming your american. but we all know what happens when i assume. it makes an a** out of u and me. lol
    No, I'm American. I bet it's more than $5 because everything on the shelves you can get to is $4 or $1 and this is behind the glass. If I can get it for $5-$7 complete I probably will because I need Golden Axe and Streets of Rage doesn't hurt either.

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

I own all the games on this separately except for "Super Hang-On".

I tend not to play "Revenge of Shinobi" as "Shinobi 3" has tighter controls and "Columns" is a fine home port companion to the "Columns Collection" released on the Saturn (JP)

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raúl Julia...

They had room for at least 3 more games on this collection (the current selection only takes up 21 megs of the 24 meg cart). Maybe even 5 if two of them were Fatal Labyrinth and Flicky (1 meg each). Besides that they should have included Mystic Defender (3 megs), Truxton (2 megs) and Super Monaco GP (4 megs) for a total of 11 games and 32 MEGA POWER!

Assholes.

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

I love it for my Nomad and long car trips.

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

its difficult to add different sized games that's why they didn't use "all the space"...
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

it's a nice package, except for Columns which I hate. I think it's a better package than the Classic Collection which you rated 9... on the other hand, that has Gunstar Heroes in it...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
    They had room for at least 3 more games on this collection (the current selection only takes up 21 megs of the 24 meg cart). Maybe even 5 if two of them were Fatal Labyrinth and Flicky (1 meg each). Besides that they should have included Mystic Defender (3 megs), Truxton (2 megs) and Super Monaco GP (4 megs) for a total of 11 games and 32 MEGA POWER!
    Who the hell wants an 11-Pak on his stomach?

Quote Originally Posted by McTom
    it's a nice package, except for Columns which I hate. I think it's a better package than the Classic Collection which you rated 9... on the other hand, that has Gunstar Heroes in it...
    I thought people were pretty reasonable in their critics, so I changed it to 8 .
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Chenjesu of the Alliance Outrunner megabomberman's Avatar

very very nice zebbe, some real gems inside in this cartridge, some people can only praise the likes of alien soldier, gunstar and phantasy star 4 and other such titles that pushed the megadrive further one way or another, but these titles are classics, rustic, simple and fun... and you do justice to them good job!
    "Age badly is something women do, games are good or bad when they are released. "

"It's like watching Runic stones by vikings here in Täby: not beautiful compared to Mona Lisa, but damn fine stuff for their time, as Phantasy Star II is, and that is why I enjoy it."

Zebbe speaks on the quality of how 16-bit games hold up against modern counterparts 28/07/07 beautiful

Thanks, megabomberman

Five dorrals sounds like a fair price for this compilation.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Raging in the Streets

Interesting how this compilation is region-locked, despite this not being the case with the games on the cartridge.

Is this the only American multi-cart? I can count Mega Games 1 (World Cup Italia '90, Columns, Super Hang-On), Mega Games 2 (Revenge of Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe), Mega Games 3 (Super Thunder Blade, Alien Storm, Super Monaco GP), then Mega Games 6 (white cartridge label) which stuck Mega Games 1 & 2 into one cartridge. Finally, there's Mega Games 6 vol.2 (red cartridge label), with Sega Soccer, Columns, Super Monaco GP, Revenge of Shinobi, Streets of Rage, and Sonic 1 - and I think this last one was also offered along with the Mega Drive II as a bundle.

I don't think Japan got any official multicart releases, as Mega Games 10 was East Asia and Brazil-only. I guess they made up for this with the Game Can compilations for the Mega-CD.

[edit]oh, there were those two-in-one Blockbuster rental exclusives, right? Judge Dredd and a sports game?

Master of Shinobi ary incorparated's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Lizard
    I love it for my Nomad and long car trips.
    tsssk nomad,didnt yours broke yet? its a shitty system sega did a better job with sge MD classics on psp,if sega keeps that up then a 10 to sega.

BTW great review zebbe,the soundtrack of Sor is among the best its still enjoyable and cool upbeat.

Thread Information