Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OutRunners

Sonic OutRunners

Segaphiles everywhere know and love the OutRun series, and we here at Sega-16 are no different. If there's one Sega racer that always gets the blood pumping, it's this one, and it's a great thing that they all appear on the Genesis (for better or for worse, to be fair). Data East handled the publishing chores for the final 2D arcade installment, OutRunners, and while there's considerable controversy about how well things turned out, staff writer Alex Burr has nothing but love for this one. Start your engines and read the full review!
    Last edited by Melf; 08-14-2011 at 07:34 PM.

I'm truly sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with this review. As I've mentioned a couple of times before, a Sega "Super System 32" (Sega's most powerful 2D arcade board) coin-op like "Outrunners" had NO BUSINESS being anywhere near the Mega Drive hardware, when the MD couldn't even handle System 16 conversions perfectly (though most ports were still playable and enjoyable), much less scaling/rotating games like "After Burner", "Thunder Blade", "Space Harrier" (yeah I know, STB and SHII weren't exactly "ports") and the infamous "Galaxy Force II" and its Genesis port. Know how many home ports of that game it took to get it 100% right? "Outrunners" should've definitely been left for the Sega Saturn to do, but its rumored that Yu Suzuki wasn't and isn't very fond of "Outrunners", so we have yet to see a better port of it to this day! Dammit!

While it may still be playable and somewhat enjoyable, all of the booty-popping graphics and sound of the "Outrunners" coin-op were damn near entirely wiped out in the Genesis port, which (to add insult to injury) was made permanently split-screen to boot. While it may not be as bad as Tiertex's (a.k.a the awful blokes behind that tosh "Strider Returns") Mega Drive port of "Turbo Outrun", the Genesis port of "Outrun" is the best of all the MD OR ports and the most enjoyable as well. Forget the rest son!!!

These two videos alone should sum up this entire post and my point:

Sega Super System 32 "Outrunners":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3GYBaP-KjM

Sega Genesis "Outrunners":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvuWk44BdrQ

(Hey, you've got my Virtua Formula in your "Outrunners"!)

And a bonus, the coin-op and Mega Drive "Turbo Outrun" (never came out in the U.S, thank GAWD):

Coin-op:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr2WD0AHfT4

Mega Drive "Turbo Outrun":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riVEnFORzeo

It might not be apparent in the YT video, but the MD version of "Turbo Outrun" has HORRIBLE software scaling and a horrible frame-rate. Worse than the MD versions of "Thunder Blade", "Space Harrier" and "Super Hang-On"......combined! It's unplayable.
    Last edited by Aarzak; 01-17-2008 at 03:01 PM.

I recall it being fun, tho I'd have to disagree with the "This game, in my opinion at least is the best racer in the Genesis library" comment. However, it is the writers opinion

Regardless, a well written review!

I enjoyed this one by totally forgetting the arcade version and just having some fun. Better than Outrun 2019, at any rate.

Master of Shinobi ary incorparated's Avatar

could have been done better,the arcade version is superior,but genesis simply couldnt handle that so it is what it is a fun racer with no graphical wows.

Console hardware updates once in five years, roughly, arcade hardware updates much more often. I don't think either the consumers or the developers want to wait until there is powerful console hardware enough to port a specific game. That is why I take my arcade ports for what they are and not what overpriced unrealistic perfectness they don't need to be.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Raging in the Streets

Agreeing with GK and Zebbe. It's not the arcade OutRunners - but there's MAME for that, yes? Besides the perma-split-screen and the neutered arcade-to-16-bit conversion, it's the same 'drive-really-fast-get-to-the-end' OutRun game in the end.

Plus, I can't really hate a game that has Jingle Bells as a hidden course theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Aarzak
    These two videos alone should sum up this entire post and my point:

Sega Super System 32 "Outrunners":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3GYBaP-KjM

Sega Genesis "Outrunners":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvuWk44BdrQ
    Wish you had posted sooner before as I just bought the game. Is the arcade version as easy as the video makes it out to be? I swear I think I saw only about a half dozen opponent/obstacle cars on the track. The car also drove right through the bridge as well. At least the Genesis version looks to have some challenge, though I'm sure to hate the forced split screen. Makes me wonder how much of a graphics hit the split screen took on the port and how much improved it could have been as a single player game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe
    Console hardware updates once in five years, roughly, arcade hardware updates much more often. I don't think either the consumers or the developers want to wait until there is powerful console hardware enough to port a specific game. That is why I take my arcade ports for what they are and not what overpriced unrealistic perfectness they don't need to be.
    Yeah, you did make a good point, but most of the allure of high-end, 2D Sega arcade games like "After Burner", "Thunder Blade", "Galaxy Force" and "Outrunners" were the bombastic graphics and sound that masked what was essentially run-of-the-mill or sloppy gameplay. (Not to mention the elaborate, flashy arcade cabinets and controls) All of those bombastic graphics and sound are gone from the Genesis version of "Outrunners", leaving only an ugly, average, split-screen racing game amongst better racing games on the Genesis, like the earlier "Outrun" port for example (which looks better than the "Turbo Outrun" and "Outrunners" ports and "Outrun 2019"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S17g0ER5ylw

On another note, I don't believe the Genny port of "Outrunners" was done by Data East, as it was published by Sega in Japan and considering that Sonic/Tails Sega logo animation. I think Data East just published it here, like they did with "Mega Turrican".

The original Outrun was probably the best looking of Sega's forward-scrolling arcade-to-Genesis ports.

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

I. Just. Cant. Not. Love. This. Game.

Oh, come on guys, you should know me by now! If there are two things you all should know about me they are: I dont care if a game is even close to a "perfect arcade translation" or not. AND, I am usually not a fan of "import only games" unless they are genuinely fun. So, Alien Soldier, etc. I am not really a fan of, mainly because they are too difficult, and I am a little b-word about hard games (mind you, I hate halo when im at home playing with my best friend, but when im here on Xbox live and im not playing with him i LOVE it)

Also, thanks to Melf for putting up with my deluge of PM's that basically sounded like a "WAHHHH!! WHERES MY REVIEW!!" but with better grammar. (I have been working with him on a genre spotlight review about game show video games and sent a new section, so hopefully that will go up soon.)

I also thank every one of the readers at this website. I sure was in a minority of people who are addicted to this wonderful machine around here and finally, FINALLY get a chance to express myself and to invite people to play sega for the first time.
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aarzak
    And a bonus, the coin-op and Mega Drive "Turbo Outrun" (never came out in the U.S, thank GAWD):

Coin-op:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr2WD0AHfT4

I cry because SEGA denied me an arcade perfect home port. "Turbo" songs were damn fine in C2C, but I wanted "Turbo" to be included in the game somewhere.

I also don't care for "Outrunners". I liked it when I rented it way back when, but that permanent split screen was really lame.

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Ral Julia...

...like a "WAHHHH!! WHERES MY REVIEW!!" but with better grammar...
    Better grammar?

Welco metot henex tlevel.
    I highly doubt that.

I consider the original Outrun to be the best port on the Genesis as well.
    From what I recall, Outrunners could never receive such a high score... On the other hand, I also love games bashed by everyone else.
    ----------
    My Outrun games rank on the Genesis:
    1. Outrun
    2. Outrun 2019
    3. Outrunners
    4. Turbo Outrun

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Out Runners is ugly. And I don't mean compared to the arcade version. Compared to Out Run, compared to Out Run 2019, compared to Road Rash 2, this game is a hideous mess. As it came later in the Genesis life span, I expected better. It's not "fun" either IMO. It's very lacking... there's not much "stuff" there to keep me entertained. Boring.

But seriously, the graphics... pitiful. A world away from the beauty of Street Racer.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Thread Information