Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interview: Toshiyasu Morita

Default Interview: Toshiyasu Morita

Everyone has their own opinion about the 32X. Love it or hate it, it's an important piece of Sega's history. Always looking for the full story, Sega-16 recently interviewed Toshiyasu Morita, a technical director at Sega of America, who was involved with the development and release of the little mushroom. He also had a hand in such titles as Doom 32X and the Genesis classic Zombies Ate My Neighbors. Check out the complete interview for all the details.
    Last edited by Melf; 09-23-2011 at 06:39 PM.

What an honest man, especially for a Japanese. I really liked reading that about ZAMN. I didn't know the MD version was a port, but it makes big sense.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

I agree with Zebbe; that was the most un-Japanese sounding Japanese guy I've ever heard. But he did say "if I remember correctly", so I guess he's the real thing.

Nice to have someone be so frank.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshiyasu Morita
    most of the senior people in management were hardware people, and therefore they didn't want to view the company as a software company because it would mean they were no longer relevant.
    Well, Sega is no longer relevant.

Chenjesu of the Alliance Outrunner megabomberman's Avatar

wow, what a great interview the best I've read since I've followed this site (in terms of new material) very honest and didn't dodge anything as well as offering us insights outside the realms of the questions.

Great job Melf!
    "Age badly is something women do, games are good or bad when they are released. "

"It's like watching Runic stones by vikings here in Täby: not beautiful compared to Mona Lisa, but damn fine stuff for their time, as Phantasy Star II is, and that is why I enjoy it."

Zebbe speaks on the quality of how 16-bit games hold up against modern counterparts 28/07/07 beautiful

Great piece! Lots of neato information. Some notes:

- Genesis ZAMN being a port of the SNES version........what else is new? There were more SNES-to-Genesis ports of multi-platform games then there were vice-versa. The 16-Bit Street Fighter ports were primarily developed on the SNES, as was "Saturday Night Slam Masters", "The Great Circus Mystery" and others. One thing I've noticed about most of Konami's Genesis games (yes, even graphical powerhouses like Bloodlines and Hard Corps) is that they have obnoxious borders which occupy screen real estate. Hyperstone Heist (SNES Turtles In Time didn't have it), Rocket Knight, ZAMN (even though it was developed by LucasArts) Bloodlines, Hard Corps.

I'm telling ya dawgz, Capcom & Konami were drinking Nintendo's kool-aid!

And about the 32X sound hardware, I thought that it was just poorly documented and difficult to program. But yeah, now I realize that cart space was also an issue. Didn't prevent Rutubo Games from dellivering pwnerific sound with the 32X ports of "After Burner" and "Space Harrier" though. (Moreso AF)

Great article!

I like your posts, Aarzak. BTW, is Rutubo still around? Did they even do anything else?

Rutubo did the Saturn conversions of Space Harrier, After Burner and Out Run as well. The sound in the 32X versions of SH and AB are nearly arcade perfect (except for the HF hum in AB). Anyone who thinks the 32X had bad sound is a schmuck. The deal is that most people who programmed sound for the 32X were schmucks themselves. Games like Tempo and Shadow Squadron are 90% Genesis sound, if not even more. Tempo's PWM sound coming from the 32X was piss-poor for some reason due to the incompetent sound people working on that game.
    Last edited by Joe Redifer; 02-22-2008 at 08:17 PM.

Thanks for the kudos, felllas. I agree with Joe about the 32X being able to do some great sound in the right hands. I think Star Wars arcade was a good example of the potential in the system, but it was sadly never realized.

And if you liked this interview, then you'll love my next one. Today I was on the phone with Al Nilsen, former Sega VP of Global Marketing. Lots of good stuff about the Genesis launch and Sonic!

Awesome. Definitely looking forward to it. Have you talked to his brother Spencer, yet?

Phone interviews are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
    Awesome. Definitely looking forward to it. Have you talked to his brother Spencer, yet?
    Lol, I've been trying to get in touch with Spencer for a while. He's at a university for the arts now, and he's pretty hard to get in touch with. I'll get him eventually though.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight
    Phone interviews are the best.
    Absolutely. They take more time and are a lot more work, but the wealth of information they give tops an email interview every time. This is my fourth one via telephone, and I'd give them all this way if I could.

Grand Duke of Nukem Master of Shinobi Nunzio's Avatar

Great reading. I got lost in the technical talk but it was so interesting. His prophecy for Sony seems like it makes a lot of sense too.
    S A V E R U S T Y

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

This was another great interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Aarzak
    I'm telling ya dawgz, Capcom & Konami were drinking Nintendo's kool-aid!
    I only had to play "Hypertone Heist" once to figure this out. I'm still not even sure if Konami even tried with that Turtles game.

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raúl Julia...

Outrunner

I disagreeable with his statement "don't think waiting a few months would have made any difference. Probably fewer hardware bugs, but the same weak design."

A few more months would have meant developers would have had more time and the launch titles would have more polished. Also have meant a better marketing leading up to launch.

I also disagree with "It really wasn't a great shock to see Sega giving up hardware. Internally, many of us had been talking about this for at least three or four years before the event happened. My impression was that since Sega started out as a hardware company, most of the senior people in management were hardware people, and therefore they didn't want to view the company as a software company because it would mean they were no longer relevant."

It is like calling a Nintendo a software company because of their good at games. Sega had a advantage of being experts developing on its own hardware, now Sega is developing on more systems all of which Sega doesn't have as much knowledge of then Sega had with own hardware.

Thread Information