Quantcast

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Genesis Sound vs. SNES Sound

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

This will unfortunately not work on most hardware (there will be an annoying clicking sound on older revisions of the soundchip, kinda like old versions of the SID chip), but the SuperGrafx could do this.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Sounds cool, but not nearly as polished as the SNES sound track. It's very SID like in its sound.

A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Sounds cool, but not nearly as polished as the SNES sound track. It's very SID like in its sound.
    Well, you can't really expect hardware 3 years older, with a cheap audio solution bolted on to the CPU, to match a custom made state of the art Sony soundchip.

I don't think ch5 in that cover had to be left unused (the umihara kawase cover uses all channels with sampled drums and wave macros on the leads) so it could potentially be even better.
    On a wave of mutilation

https://minirevver.weebly.com/

Here's a case where the Genesis and TG-16 just blow the SNES out of the water. I loved the Harpsichord like music in Alien Crush (TG-16) and Devil's Crush on the Genesis. I don't know WTF Naxat was doing with their Pinball game for the SNES, because that music is so lifeless and bland.

Last edited by gamevet; 01-03-2018 at 03:54 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    Well, you can't really expect hardware 3 years older, with a cheap audio solution bolted on to the CPU, to match a custom made state of the art Sony soundchip.
    I though that maybe that video was a response to what Alianger and I were discussing about the PC Engine.

I though that maybe that video was a response to what Alianger and I were discussing about the PC Engine.
    It was somewhat, since you were implying the PCE always sounds twangy, I think the video shows that's not the case.

Most of the twang comes from the bass, and even in the original revision of the chip you can safely do at least one channel of these high quality waves, the clicking will be barely noticeable with just one. Or you can sacrifice a channel to counteract the clicking. Lots of options.

That said, I am definitely on team SNES when it comes to the soundchip. I adore FM music and will pick it over SNES music most of the time, but the SNES had the better chip.

I've been using Surround sound equipment since 1993. While I do believe that the Genesis sound does sound great when in the right hands, I've never thought that it had superior sound to the SNES.

The SNES can do a great job of replicating the sound of the Genesis, while the Genesis would struggle to achieve the sound of the SNES.

The Mexican Fiesta begins on 01:57 pathetic kkkkkkkkk!

Hero of Algol

The SNES can do a great job of replicating the sound of the Genesis, while the Genesis would struggle to achieve the sound of the SNES.
    If you what call "the sound of the Genesis" is a mediocre FM composition, making no good use of the four operators, just playing and replacing instruments all the time in their "regular" forms, than yes.
    But as soon as you get more dynamic with the way you use the YM2612, the gap becomes quite big.
    The same can be said about how much texturing you put into the SNES composition and how heavy is the use of instruments the FM synthesis tends to struggle with.

I'd say, though, the audio RAM is a very tough constraint on the SNES and, in most cases, it keeps it from really running away like the rest of the capabilities of its sound chip would suggest. On the MD, it's more about the composer/programmer skills.

And, on top of that, you have the forced interpolation which really affects the output of the SNES sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    If you what call "the sound of the Genesis" is a mediocre FM composition, making no good use of the four operators, just playing and replacing instruments all the time in their "regular" forms, than yes.
    But as soon as you get more dynamic with the way you use the YM2612, the gap becomes quite big.
    The same can be said about how much texturing you put into the SNES composition and how heavy is the use of instruments the FM synthesis tends to struggle with.

I'd say, though, the audio RAM is a very tough constraint on the SNES and, in most cases, it keeps it from really running away like the rest of the capabilities of its sound chip would suggest. On the MD, it's more about the composer/programmer skills.

And, on top of that, you have the forced interpolation which really affects the output of the SNES sound.
    Yeah, the SNES could never duplicate the metallic resonance that the Genesis can generate, and the PC Engine couldn't quite do it either. I have a love hate relationship with that resonance, which can be really awesome, or downright annoying. I think of the sound of the bell in Bison's stage of Street Fighter II and how the metallic resonance of it sounds near perfect.

Yeah, if Kutaragi would have increased the audio RAM, it might have eliminated the need for 8 point compression with SNES sound, but that gives it an advantage of using less cart space.

Uncompressed, the SNES sound chip can do near CD quality audio, but the space required from a cart would be obscene.

Last edited by gamevet; 01-03-2018 at 11:55 PM.

Comes pretty close.

But this is also 7/8 channels and with no effects used.
    On a wave of mutilation

I was thinking the same thing about this Genesis version of F-Zero's Mute City theme. It sounds pretty good, but I don't think that the Genesis has enough sound channels left to do the sound effects on top of that, along with the commentary.

Renegade's genesis mixes aren't accurate to MD anyway as he's said himself before. I think you misunderstood me gamevet, my point was rather that the SNES cover of the Sonic 2 track could sound better than it already does and there's one channel left for sfx, echo or whatever.

But it's a technically straightforward track, something from Gauntlet 4 or Thunder Force 4 would be more of a challenge.
    On a wave of mutilation

Don't know any accurate Mute City covers, but there are accurate Port Town ones, they sound pretty good:

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Yeah, if Kutaragi would have increased the audio RAM, it might have eliminated the need for 8 point compression with SNES sound, but that gives it an advantage of using less cart space.
    If I recall correctly - The issue is that the SPC's own CPU only supports 16-bit addressing. Its memory map is limited to 64 kilobytes.
    And the SPC is a role very poorly suited to bank-switching.

No real winners there without redesigning the SPC.

Quote Originally Posted by Alianger View Post
    *Chemical Plant Zone SPC video*

Comes pretty close.

But this is also 7/8 channels and with no effects used.

The track sounds great on anything with enough channels.
    Last edited by Flygon; 01-04-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Thread Information