Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NintendoAge and SegaAge Gone

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Mad NintendoAge and SegaAge Gone

So I'm not sure how many of you also heard about this, but Nintendo Age and Sega Age recently were nuked and are pretty much gone from the internet to forward to the GoCollect site.

With them, tons of information is sadly now gone, probably more so on the the Nintendo side, but SegaAge did have that really awesome cardboard guide which is now pretty much lost as well.

This has been happening a lot recently it seems like. Assembler games is supposedly on the way out (but was copied https://www.assembler-games.com/) and PCEngineFX was shut down to be read only (also thankfully cloned https://www.pcenginefans.com/forum/ but users need to reset their logins)

I know Melf is am amazing guy and has kept this site running for a long time, but does anyone else worry about the long term stability of the forum? Or forums in general as Facebook seems to take over everything?
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Both sites -- along with PlayStationCollecting.com -- are still accessible via the site IP address, for example:

http://74.86.217.179/forum/messagevi...hreadid=165721

Just replace the first part of the URL with that IP address:

GoCollect has made some effort to incorporate the NintendoAge forum archives, but it's very scattered and sketchy and doesn't inspire confidence as of now.

Meanwhile the majority of the active userbase has decamped for VideoGameSage.com, which seems to be off to a good start.

I'd thought the current PC Engine hub was the PC Engine Software Bible Forum at pcengine.proboards.com? Nice to see the other site has been cloned; I hope it's now free of some of the craziness that was going on.
    Last edited by goldenband; 11-04-2019 at 11:13 PM.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Most large and active communities tend to become infested with identity politicians who worm their way into the administration, then tear everything below them apart until the community collapses. That, or the existing administration goes insane, and does it on their own without any additional help, kicking out more reasonable people from the admin team without any sort of notice or justification. I wonder if this was the case in the implosion of any of those sites. It sure was at most of the ones I used to be a regular on, if they didn't just dry up and mummify on their own.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

These websites changing hands is a major telegraphing of the transition happening with investors buying into facets of the hobby of video games as a means to set the foundations of their network.

Places like NintendoAge especially, you have years worth of information and online recognition, these investors rather than reinvent the wheel buy it out and establish it as part of their platform interests.

What I'm saying is, you pretty much have some club of fully grown rich kids, probably out of California, looking to make video games the next big pop-culture investment thing, and rather than start their own bullsh!t web forum because they know hobbyist don't want it, they just go ahead and buy the tree fort the hobbyist kids hang-out in, and buy the kids with it.

All of the members at these sites are now pieces of the intellectual property these outfits are looking to acquire.

i.e., NWO/WCW hostile takeover.

In regards to Sega-16, it's Melf's site to do as he sees fit.

If he can cash it out and do good by it, go for it.

I'd nuke my account that day, and you'd never find another trace of me on the internet.

I'll be done buying the games I want by next year, and rather than talk about them, I'll just be playing them.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

It happens all the time . With classic games being the current "In" thing . Buying up these sites is a good investment due to the massive current database of user data . Seems a shame to loose the content though ! as thats the thing that drives google users to the site.

Perhaps it's time for us as a community to look back at all the unique info on these forums, especially the technical and historical information, and distill it into a massive informative classic gaming wiki with the conversational bits removed. We already lost AG and without the former members and ObscureGamers putting in a big effort, all that info would have been gone as well. NA going away would be a huge deal for the loss of the NesDev tutorial series alone. Maybe it's time to do a little digital doomsday prepping.
    Last edited by MachineCode; 11-05-2019 at 11:48 AM.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

I'm not sure what the point of GoCollect buying NintendoAge was. As of now, it seems like a textbook case of what NOT to do. I think if they wanted to retain NintendoAge's users/community, they needed a more gradual transition. Instead, they essentially redirected the URL to GoCollect, deleted all of the NintendoAge threads (yes, I know they're archived, but not accessible for posting), and removed the buy/sell/trade market that was the heart of the site. It's hard to imagine anybody going back there.

But the good news is that the community basically moved en masse to https://www.videogamesage.com/

I've gotten offers to buy the site and forum in the past. I simply delete them.

FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS.

And ASSEMbler lives on....

Master of Shinobi

Old forums like this all die eventually, as nearly no new content is created to be discussed, other than occasional fan projects or some new piece of hardware. You can only discuss so much old stuff before you have discussed it all, and over the years people will simply move on with life.
    Also, twitter facebook etc are sucking up most people, including those who'd like to discuss retro games.

That and sometimes the administration has gotten bored and wants to move on, or sometimes they simply disappear and the site is on borrowed time. Or they just go insane like Assembler did.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Well I don't use social media formats like Twitter or Facebook, so for me this is my only home for all things Sega related. The banter and chats are all a part of it for me, just as much as the fascinating bits of trivia and history that I've learnt from being here the last 5yrs. Long may Sega-16 continue!

Twitter makes me pray for meteor strikes and disaster-level pandemics. Smaller hangouts are like a soft recliner in a softly-lit den, with a reading lamp and a good book.
    Youtube - Terminated

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Jake Armitage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    Twitter makes me pray for meteor strikes and disaster-level pandemics.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Well I don't use social media formats like Twitter or Facebook, so for me this is my only home for all things Sega related. The banter and chats are all a part of it for me, just as much as the fascinating bits of trivia and history that I've learnt from being here the last 5yrs. Long may Sega-16 continue!
    That is the problem, Forums are slowly being replaced by social media platforms .

But not for the reasons you may think. Incidentally, it's a good idea to hide the version number of the board software from public view.
    Youtube - Terminated

Thread Information