Quantcast

Page 1968 of 1977 FirstFirst ... 9681468186819181958196419651966196719681969197019711972 ... LastLast
Results 29,506 to 29,520 of 29654

Thread: "state something completely random time!"

Rebel scum Hero of Algol MrMatthews's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    That was decent, yeah. Prefer his action films tho, tbh. One of his more recent roles, in Looper, was pretty good. Not very actiony, more a thriller, but was well done.
    Dude.

It was entirely thanks to Looper that we got The Last Jedi.
    If you're going to be wasting time anyway, you should waste some on my YouTube Channel.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    Dude.

It was entirely thanks to Looper that we got The Last Jedi.
    I don't follow.

Road Rasher

Looper and TLJ had the same director. In TLJ you have characters opening doors into the vacuum of space. That's the level of quality of his science fiction. Looper is an insanely stupid movie carried by some strong actors. Fortunately Bruce was in a much better time travel flick...12 Monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinderl View Post
    Looper and TLJ had the same director. In TLJ you have characters opening doors into the vacuum of space. That's the level of quality of his science fiction. Looper is an insanely stupid movie carried by some strong actors. Fortunately Bruce was in a much better time travel flick...12 Monkeys.
    Thanks for the information. Not see TLJ or anything else that director has done (or I have, but I wouldn't know tbh), but I liked Looper. It was good imo. Told a decent story. Didn't really look it at as a scifi; more of a drama with a bit of action here and there, with some time travel thrown in. I enjoyed it.

Not seen 12 Monkeys, one of the films I want to see in the near future, that and Jacob's Ladder. Those two films I've heard are really good, but I've never pushed myself to sit down and watch them. I think I will (with 12 Monkeys), thanks bud.

Road Rasher

The cast of Looper was solid, but everything revolving around the time travel was horrific. It's kinda like how Cowboys & Aliens had all the pieces to make a great western, but they can't just make a western. No, they have to make it a sci-fi movie and tack on the most mind-numbingly stupid cliche of all-time: alien invasion.

12 Monkeys, on the other hand, does do it right. I wasn't a fan of Terry's other movie, Brazil, but where that movie is a confusing mess by the end, 12 Monkeys takes a lot of confusing elements and weaves them into something that does make sense.

I'm very hit or miss on Gilliam movies in general...loved Munchausen, but hated Parnassus (which was literally Diabolus ex Machina: The Movie).

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

I liked all the movies mentioned. Except that Imaginarium existential crap.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    Thanks for the information. Not see TLJ or anything else that director has done (or I have, but I wouldn't know tbh), but I liked Looper. It was good imo. Told a decent story. Didn't really look it at as a scifi; more of a drama with a bit of action here and there, with some time travel thrown in. I enjoyed it.
    I think it was because Looper was better than average that Riann Johnson (sp?) got the job ... Iím sure.

Kinda like how Chronicle was surprisingly better than expected, so that director got the job of the third Star Wars movie... until Fantastic Four, anyway.
    If you're going to be wasting time anyway, you should waste some on my YouTube Channel.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Yeah. I really enjoyed Chronicle.

That seems to be the running theme of (most of) the recent Star Wars directors. Theyíre all relatively no-name directors with a small amount of projects that turned out better than youíd expect.

The Rogue One director, in particular... Did anyone see that movie he did, Monsters? Quite good, and it seemed to be a practice run for Godzilla, which was also not too shabby.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    That seems to be the running theme of (most of) the recent Star Wars directors. Theyíre all relatively no-name directors with a small amount of projects that turned out better than youíd expect.
    Ridley Scott says because the studios can control these directors more;

It started with an innocent question from Vulture reporter Kyle Buchanan over whether he would consider taking the helm for a Star Wars film. But Scott being Scott, he gave this unexpected response: ďNo, no. Iím too dangerous for that.Ē

Dangerous? What could Scott possibly mean by that?

He continued:

Because I know what Iím doing. [Laughs.] I think they like to be in control, and I like to be in control myself. When you get a guy whoís done a low-budget movie and you suddenly give him $180 million, it makes no sense whatsoever. Itís f***iní stupid. You know what the reshoots cost?

Millions! Millions. You can get me for my fee, which is heavy, but Iíll be under budget and on time. This is where experience does matter, itís as simple as that! It can make you dull as dishwater, but if youíre really experienced and you know what youíre doing, itís f***ing essential. Grow into it, little by little. Start low-budget, get a little bit bigger, maybe after $20 million, you can go to $80. But donít suddenly go to $160.
    Full slashfilm article link.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Ridley Scott is a great filmmaker and I have nothing but respect for him, but having said that some of his more recent films, not to mention some of his more recent comments, suggest to me that he is starting to lose his grip on reality. There is perhaps some senility creeping in there. Nothing to be ashamed of, old age comes to us all and affects people in different ways. Well, unless you die young that is, but you get my point.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

This is cool but I don't endorse bench press, its an outdated chest exercise.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Ridley Scott is a great filmmaker and I have nothing but respect for him, but having said that some of his more recent films, not to mention some of his more recent comments, suggest to me that he is starting to lose his grip on reality. There is perhaps some senility creeping in there. Nothing to be ashamed of, old age comes to us all and affects people in different ways. Well, unless you die young that is, but you get my point.
    It's called ego and pride.

AH BOB SAGET! Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi SegataS's Avatar

There has not been a good Alien film since 1986. I didn't think it could get worse than the 3rd and 4th films but then the last 2 came out and wow what trash. Dumbest. Scientists. Ever. Yes, Ridley, I want a 20-minute scene of a fucking robot playing a flute in an ALIEN MOVIE....fuck those films. Or how about Charlize is so fucking stupid she can't run sideways. Taking off helmets and sticking their face in alien plants. Why is everyone so fucking retarded!? At least Alien 4 had Brad Dourif hamming it up.
    Twitter Segata

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Covenant pissed me off something fierce. Prometheus was actually just fine, as long as you donít consider it an ĎAliení movie.

But I question how good a director Ridley Scott really is. That Moses movie was absolutely terrible.

In fact, every other one of his movies is terrible.

Thread Information