Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: College Slam

Welcome to the next level Road Rasher GEN ESIS GAMER's Avatar

I am happy to see college slam be reviewed I love that game.

Video Ninja Sports Talker RaveFury's Avatar

"Acclaim could easily have commissioned series developer Iguana to slap together a slightly tweaked NBA Jam 3, but give the company credit. In creating College Slam, it refused to take the easy way out."

But Acclaim always took the easy way out. (See Mortal Kombat on Sega CD, Batman Forever on Genesis/SNES, ETC.) Acclaim is synonomous with crap, although more NBA Jam is hardly a bad thing.

The next time I'm in a retrogaming store, I'll pick up College Slam thanks to this review.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aarzak
    Trivia: Along with the rare 1996 re-release of "Sonic Spinball" (identical to original 1993 release apart from ESRB rating), "College Slam" was probably the last Genesis game released in a clamshell case, and also probably the last Acclaim game released on Genesis.
    Don't you mean Sonic 1? I had a 1996 re-release of Sonic 1 with a ESRB rating and I have the manual, but the cart and box have been long gone.

EDIT: When I get back home, I'll take pictures.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Nope, that Sonic 1 you speak of is most likely one of the, if not the last "Sega Classic" re-release for the Genesis around 1995-ish. I can't see Sega re-releasing it in 1996 when they released the "6-Pak" around late 1995-early 1996. And then the "Sonic Classics" cart in 1996-1997..........god dammit, way too many re-releases of that game on the same console!

The "Sonic Spinball" I saw looked identical to the original November 1993 release, with the plastic box and red striped Genesis packaging scheme, except that the V.R.C rating was replaced with an ESRB "K-A" rating and the copyrighting in small print on the back of the box was updated to 1996.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Nope, it is NOT the Sega Classics release. It has the same art as the orignal one (i.e. no SEGA CLASSICS border) just with a ESRB rating. The box art may have added a 1996 copyright on the back, but it's been well over nine years since it went away, I honestly don't remember. But I know the manual did have a 1996 copyright, and it also doesn't mention Castle of Illusion on the back like the orignal/Sega Classics release.

I did buy a Sega Classics release of Sonic 1 in the summer of '05 to '06 timeframe and it just had a altered box art, the manual was the same as the '91 release, and the cart was the same as the orignal release too.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

What the hell? That's unheard of. I'd like to see any pics of this if you're able to take them from whatever you have left.

I know Sonic 2 was also re-released during the late '90's, but I'm not sure if it was a Majesco re-release, an obscure Sega re-printing like what was done with Sonic 1 & Spinball in 1996ish, or something else. If it came in cardboard (which I've never seen a Genny game with the old black/white grid packaging format come in) then yeah, it was a Majesco.

Oh and correction, the S1 Sega Classics re-release came out in late 1993 along with the SOR1 Sega Classic re-release that I happened to have bought a decade or so ago.

It appears that S1 was re-released even before the Sega Classic re-release, check this out:

http://www.mobygames.com/images/cove...4156544-00.jpg

That Sega Genesis logo indicates that it was (re)-released sometime during 1992.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aarzak
    If it came in cardboard (which I've never seen a Genny game with the old black/white grid packaging format come in)
    The only one I've seen is a cardboard-box reissue of World of Illusion. It was indeed by Majesco.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

I remember seeing "World of Illusion" advertised on the back of my Genesis 3 box. Nice to know.

So the cardboard box was a reproduction of the original grid art slip that went in the plastic box, and the inner sleeve in which the cart came was red like all other cardboard Genesis releases? Yuck.

Thread Information