Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sports Talk Baseball

Sonic Sports Talk Baseball

It's almost spring, and that means it's almost baseball season! The Genesis has a generous helping of games in the genre, and one of them is Sports Talk Baseball, Sega's only attempt to expand its play-by-play line of sports games beyond the initial football offering. Featuring real players and some solid gameplay, it's a great way to jump into the sport if you're just looking for some arcade-style fun. Read the full review and start swinging for the fences!
    Last edited by Melf; 09-02-2011 at 05:08 PM.

Cool review. I wish there were Sports Talk games these days with that same robotic voice. It would be great if real baseball games on TV had that voice.

This is basically a big hack of Pro Yakyuu Super League '91.

Yup. Sequel to the original Genesis version of "Super League" a.k.a "Tommy Fuckin' Lasorda Baseball, YEAH!".

How'd they manage to make the field graphics WORSE than Tommy Fuckin' Lasorda Baseball? It's just a solid green. No texture. Bleh.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
    How'd they manage to make the field graphics WORSE than Tommy Fuckin' Lasorda Baseball? It's just a solid green. No texture. Bleh.
    Maybe they're just playing on a giant foam mat.

As you may or may not know, Sega's League" series of Baseball games stretch as far back as the mid-1980's.........yeah, even before Fuckin' Lasorda Baseball's SMS predecessor, "Reggie Jackson Baseball". It all began with the "Major League" coin-op back in 1985, which was also the debut of Sega's INGENIOUS and innovative simulated bat and ball controls on the cabinets. I only got to try those out ONCE, on a random World Series Baseball arcade game (I think it was "World Series '99" or something liek that) I stumbled upon during the late '90's, which I suspect was translated from "Super Major League" which was the basis for "World Series Baseball 2K1" on the Dreamcast. Here's a NeoGAF thread on the history of Sega Japan's baseball games:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248994

NEC/Hudson even released their own rip-off series based on the "League" baseball engine, called "Power League". The inagural title was released as "World Class Baseball" here in the U.S:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdv8xNFQ788

Hey CRV, check out the "Sega Classics" and "X-Women" threads on the "Genesis Does!" board. We, and in the case of "X-Women" I could use your input.
    Last edited by Aarzak; 03-18-2008 at 03:50 AM.

I just won a copy of this game off of ebay today so I'm really looking forward to playing it, especially after reading the review. Too bad about the small amount of stadiums though... The baseball games on the Neo Geo had the same problem. Does Japan only have 3 or 4 professional baseball stadiums?

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

I have no idea. Most of the people on here know that I dont really care about japanese or european games lol. Totally play in the red sun stadium in season mode, but if you are just playing exhibition, then any of the other two are cool. Thanks for the positive comments! Anyone tried to throw to first off the wall? I lol everytime I do that.
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

That was a really good review man. Thats awesome you can move the feilders around to exploit the bugs in the commentary. Its the little things like that that make old sports games rock. Like checking someone in nhlpa and they collapse in a pool of blood, classic.

NBA Jammer Sports Talker ButtonMasher's Avatar

Nice detailed review. I posted my 2 cents about the game under the review. One thing I didn't mention was that I often mess up easy infield plays by throwing the ball home instead of to first due to my sticky controller. I'll have to get a new one someday.

Doubt it's the controller. Most baseball games would decide they hated to be no-hit so they made sure you'd screw up a throw "By Mistake".

Sticky buttons. Y'all must be crazy!

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

Yeah. Sometimes its irritating, because a ground ball that is close to the fielder might get picked up or it might roll by. I started my season the other day and lost my no hitter in the fifth or sixth inning because of that.
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

I've only really done it in World Series Baseball, and in season mode as well. Jose Mesa is underrated....in that game.

Just popped this game in today, and I must say. The computer is MUCH more forgiving than Tommy Lasorda Baseball. And it's a lot easier to hit too.

And that voice is just dynamite. Reminds me of the late Harry Kalas. I wonder who does that voice?
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Thread Information