Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sports Talk Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post

And that voice is just dynamite. Reminds me of the late Harry Kalas. I wonder who does that voice?
    According to Wikipedia (So, natural grain of salt required):

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    Sega contracted sports announcer Lon Simmons as well as the vocal reproduction company Electronic Speech Systems to record the unique phrases and play calls for the game.
    And, yes, this is an excellent baseball game. I picked it up really cheap, and am very happy with it. Both this and the final Sports Talk Football games (NFL 94 and College Football's National Championship) are superb.

NFL 94 rocks^^
    i played it when i was a lil' boy...
    i'm gonna search for it

I dont know about you guys but I can swear that Jose Canseco is the one on the cover/cart art.

I do love this game, for a bit I thought it was just good, then I realized how to put AUTO fielding on, and it makes the game great!
    Hell its so great Ive had the cart for a couple of years now the other month in the thrift store I saw it in a case and instruction manual! I had to buy it again! And im certainly not one of the cib collectors.

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

Yeah, the manual fielding certainly is an acquired taste. I don't play auto anymore, but i did for a long, long time.
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

God damn, I just played a game, was the phillies vs the pirates.
    Im losin 1-4, bottom of the 9th and the game freezes, I so woulda came back lol at least that's what I tell myself.

This is usually what I hear while playing Sports Talk Baseball:

FASTBALL! Swing and a Miss.
    FASTBALL! Swing and a Miss.
    FASTBALL! And the batter goes down on strikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

I can't bay-lieve it!

Road Rasher

the announcer of this game is defienetely lon simmons and I used to love this game, I have to play this again

Quote Originally Posted by A2600 View Post
    I dont know about you guys but I can swear that Jose Canseco is the one on the cover/cart art.
    Definately isn't. I'm fairly certain it isn't an A's player. You can tell because while they did photoshop the helmet color, they left the jersey pretty much alone. You can see a guy in the dugout has either an Orioles or Angels hat. Either way, unless this photo was taken at the All-Star Game, the batter is playing for an American League team since there was no interleague play in 1991-2. Since it has stripes, we can drill down to either the Yankees or White Sox. Next we can see that he is white, no facial hair, not wearing glasses and a left handed batter. Also important to look at the cleats. So to my list of possible players...

White Sox- Robin Ventura, Mike Huff
    Yankees - Kevin Maas
    Sega Genesis Master Set Collector
    https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

I heard a lot about this game and its more arcadey feel when compared to the World Series Baseball series of games. Having finally picked this game up, I... well, I don't see the appeal of it at all. The batting seems to be nonsensical. No matter what part of the bat I hit the ball with, or where my batter is standing, the ball goes to the second baseman or the shortstop about 75-80% of the time (yes, I did the math). The rest is the occasional random base hit or home run. Meanwhile, the CPU team hits it to where no one is standing about 70% of the time, while my outfielders are running AWAY from the ball. Diving for balls that are close by seems sporadic at best, and I lose games due to the domination rule before the third inning comes to pass most of the time. The CPU seems to hit just about anything I throw, and I've yet to figure out when the best time to try and swing is (watching the ball or its shadow has done me no favors). I swear, I've had fairer games playing Hardball! on my old Atari XEGS.

The part that annoys me the most about STB, is that I can play World Series Baseball just fine. I hold my own well when it comes to batting, pitching and fielding. But Sports Talk Baseball? Nope. The voice is cool, as is being able to move the batter around and having a stamina meter for pitching. But the first World Series Baseball featured a fair bit of the same play calling and it played far, far better IMO.

If I'm missing something when it comes to the batting and the fielding in STB, please explain it to me. I've read so many reviews about this game, with people gushing about how great and fun it is. I'd like to see the appeal of, and have fun with, Sports Talk Baseball too. But right now, I simply don't and can't

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Haven't played Sports Talk Baseball myself, but there's some interesting discussion here:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ame-on-Genesis

In particular, Night Driver -- who's got a pretty good handle on Genesis baseball games -- had this to say:

Quote Originally Posted by Night Driver View Post
    I would place it in the top half of Genesis baseball games, but it's not the best baseball game on the Genesis. Although I would say that its defensive gameplay is perhaps the best I've encountered. The game is also stat-based, which is always good.

The shame of the game is that pitching (and hitting to a large extent) is just a formality. It really doesn't matter how you pitch or what pitches you throw; none of that has any influence on the kind of hits the CPU gets. Seriously, you can just throw pitches right down the center of the plate and the CPU is as likely to ground out to the pitcher as it is to hit a homerun.
    Night Driver cites the World Series Baseball series as superior. I haven't really played those either; I've spent most of my 16-bit baseball time on the HardBall and RBI Baseball series.

I don't think the pitching is horrible in Sports Talk. I can at least get through half a game without worrying about pitching. Very easy to tag runners who try to go for 3rd base every time. I personally think the fielding is garbage. Very slow players and the animations are stiff.

This game and Tommy Lasorda are overrated by many. Not horrible, but not spectacular. Sega was better with their Game Gear baseball games. Arcadey games done right on their handheld. The Majors Pro Baseball was way better than their pre-World Series Genesis efforts.
    Some people like companies losing jobs.

Thread Information