Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WWF Rage in the Cage

Default WWF Rage in the Cage

One of the most dramatic of all wrestling matches is the cage match. Two men locked inside a massive cell of steel, with victory coming to the one who can climb his way out. WFF Rage in the Cage for the Sega CD centered its theme around this classic type of match, with completely mediocre results, despite having at its disposal all the advantages the new hardware offered. It was just another example of Genesis games being ported to CD with little extra effort. Read the full review for the sorry details.
    Last edited by Melf; 09-06-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

Well....I thank you for using a pic with Marty Jannetty for the article.

At least 1 post now.

Thanks for the post 108!

Seriously though, this game was a huge disappointment. Missed opportunity.

Honestly, they just kept rehashing Raw and Royal Rumble. Kinda disappointing considering there is a decent roster.

This could have been the definitive wrestling game on the 16 bit consoles. It was definitely a missed opportunity, but it is still enjoyable if you like classic wrestling.

Wildside Expert

Got this game for Christmas one year in the 90's. Words cannot express how let down I was by the lack of real wrestler themes. Why put the game on CD if you're just gonna have slightly better than Genesis level themes? Even the SNES Royal Rumble had themes that sounded better than this.

A huge roster is great, but complete lack of tag team modes really made the game lack in variety. And why put teams like the Headshrinkers and Nasty Boys in if the Sega CD doesn't have enough RAM to support 4 wrestlers on screen at once? That's the only excuse I can imagine for why they don't have tag modes (or royal rumbles). Surely they could've found more singles wrestlers to put in instead of those (pointless) teams...

Overall a very bleh release. The actual matches are no better, no worse than Royal Rumble or Raw, but in the end there's no reason to choose this over either of those, unless you really have a hankerin to play as Fatu back before he became Rikishi and started rubbing his butt in people's faces.

Quote Originally Posted by tbb033 View Post
    Got this game for Christmas one year in the 90's. Words cannot express how let down I was by the lack of real wrestler themes. Why put the game on CD if you're just gonna have slightly better than Genesis level themes? Even the SNES Royal Rumble had themes that sounded better than this.

A huge roster is great, but complete lack of tag team modes really made the game lack in variety. And why put teams like the Headshrinkers and Nasty Boys in if the Sega CD doesn't have enough RAM to support 4 wrestlers on screen at once? That's the only excuse I can imagine for why they don't have tag modes (or royal rumbles). Surely they could've found more singles wrestlers to put in instead of those (pointless) teams...

Overall a very bleh release. The actual matches are no better, no worse than Royal Rumble or Raw, but in the end there's no reason to choose this over either of those, unless you really have a hankerin to play as Fatu back before he became Rikishi and started rubbing his butt in people's faces.
    Most of the entrance themes in "Rage In The Cage" WERE directly lifted from the SNES version of Royal Rumble, albeit in crappier quality!

And yes, my guess is that the SCD lacked enough RAM for tag-team matches, either that or Acclaim and/or Sculptured Software were too lazy to port the engine over correctly to the hardware. Then again, they did bother to utilize the CD medium somewhat (crappy, black and white FMV's, Howard Finkel voice-overs, scaling and rotating logos here and there)

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I enjoy watching old-school WWF wrestling matches and have all the WWF games on the Mega Drive but Rage In The Cage on the Mega CD, whilst being a game I enjoy playing, was a huge missed opportunity. If it had boasted a tag-team mode and had the authentic original wrestlers entrance themes in CD quality music (which I fully expected what with it being on CD and everything!) then it would have been the best wrestling game of the 16-bit era no doubt. As it is it's a very good old-school wrestling game that fans of both Royal Rumble and Raw on the Mega Drive will love but certainly not the game it could have been due to a lack of game modes and the developers apparently opting to being cheapskates over securing the rights to each wrestlers entrance themes.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    and the developers apparently opting to being cheapskates over securing the rights to each wrestlers entrance themes.
    Which is weird since the WWF always created their own music, so you'd think the license to produce WWF games would include the right
    to use their music. I mean they used the actual announcer and every wrestler has a voice intro.

yet the music couldn't be done? I think this is more a case of laziness then music rights.

Raging in the Streets

A lot of early WWF music was written by a whole bunch of people as far as I know, so you'd run into rights, licensing and music issues.

Unlike today when most of the writing and production is handled in-house, I think Jimmy Hart was responsible for a lot of entrance themes back then.

WCPO Agent Cornelius Spunkwater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    A lot of early WWF music was written by a whole bunch of people as far as I know, so you'd run into rights, licensing and music issues.

Unlike today when most of the writing and production is handled in-house, I think Jimmy Hart was responsible for a lot of entrance themes back then.
    Jim Johnston's been responsible for the vast majority of WWE's music since 1985, entrance themes included, but Jimmy Hart did do a lot of entrance themes.

Death Adder's minion Sega Gremlin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InternalPrimate View Post
    Thanks for the post 108!

Seriously though, this game was a huge disappointment. Missed opportunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoundCowboy View Post
    This could have been the definitive wrestling game on the 16 bit consoles. It was definitely a missed opportunity, but it is still enjoyable if you like classic wrestling.
    Yeah, this could've (and should've) been the ultimate 16-bit wrestling game, but it came up way short. As a huge wrestling fan at the time, I was really excited when I found out this game was coming out. Who wouldn't be?

A 20-man Royal Rumble and CD-quality entrance themes for each wrestler?!

When my friend Eric (the only one I knew who owned a Sega CD) finally got the game, I couldn't believe that it had neither of those things. He had acquired a used copy at FuncoLand and ended up returning it, as I recall. The fact that a used copy was available so soon after the game's release (which was uncommon in those days) should've been a tip-off.

Quote Originally Posted by tbb033 View Post

I'm no technical guru, but I don't see how the lack of tag team matches (or Royal Rumble) could possibly have been a RAM issue. The Sega CD was simply an attachment to use CD media on the Genesis, allowing developers to create games of a much larger size than would have been possible (or practical) on a standard Genesis ROM cartridge. The games still mostly use the Genesis CPU, and most (including this one) should not need any additional RAM for basic functions. If Royal Rumble on the Genesis had six men in the ring at once, I don't see why this game couldn't have the same. There are certainly many other Sega CD games that have multiple characters on screen at once.

Whatever the reasons, I certainly agree that the lack of real entrance music was a huge letdown, and the large roster really goes to waste with only singles matches. In the end, the only real draw of this game is the cage match itself, and the novelty of that wears thin pretty quickly. This game really should've rendered Royal Rumble obsolete, but instead it's more of an addendum or companion piece to that game.

I've been watching a lot of classic WWF pay-per-views and old episodes of Monday Night Raw on the WWE Network over the last few weeks and have really got back into old school wrestling. I even got my nephew into the old stuff and he wants to know why current WWE is so boring when compared to classic WWF with all the great gimmicks and characters lol! Anyway, it's because of my rekindled love of classic WWF action that I started playing my WWF wrestling games for the Mega Drive and SNES and I've been loving them, but going back to them has only reminded me of what an utter missed opportunity Rage in the Cage for the Mega CD was! What I would absolutely LOVE is for somebody with the know-how to make a hack (or whatever you call it) of this game and make these three additions/changes in order to make this title finally realise the potential it had all along, namely to be easily the greatest 16-bit WWF wrestling game ever!

1) Include the Tag Team Championship tournament. This is one of the most baffling things missing in the game. I mean there are three actual tag teams in the game, Money Inc. ('The Million Dollar Man' Ted Dibiase is my fave wrestler of all time!), The Headshrinkers and The Nasty Boys. Tag teams present in the roster but no option to play as a tag team? I mean what the actual fuck?!

2) Include the Royal Rumble mode. Another obvious and glaring omission from the game considering that the game boasted a 20 man roster. Even if we were limited to only six men in the ring at once as in the SNES and Mega Drive game, it would still be fucking awesome!

3) Replace all the wrestlers' midi theme tunes on the character select screen with their actual CD streamed real theme tunes!

Those three things would make this game fucking rock and I would love to know how I would go about getting somebody to do this for me and other old school 16-bit WWF fans? I'm serious! I'd even pay whoever did it for their time and work, but not being tech-minded like a lot of you guys, I honestly wouldn't know where to begin.
    Last edited by Mega Drive Bowlsey; 05-11-2018 at 05:54 PM.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

I definitely started watching wrestling way too late, '91, but then I was incredibly young for the '80' stuff. You see stuff like this, and you realize, you definitely missed something:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEKw6tRnnhE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTOTop3At1c (these will most likely offend the easily offended)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPAD3WBF-LA (not WWF, but in 3 minutes they did what would have taken the last 20 or so years of WWF/E 20+ minutes)

The problem with the current product is it actually became what I thought I wanted at one point, total focus on in-ring action. However, without loud abrasive personalities, it's just a cure for insomnia now. The only manager is a part timer for a part time champion that makes you forget there even is a world championship for Raw, and they're somehow OK with that... Then from there, they keep overextending themselves(3 hour Raws, 4+ hour PPV's, which are also monthly, etc.)

As for this game, I do recall trying it, I definitely would have preferred seeing in-game animations for the finishers, than the grainy videos they used(which is probably where the room for extra content went).

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    I've been watching a lot of classic WWF pay-per-views and old episodes of Monday Night Raw on the WWE Network over the last few weeks and have really got back into old school wrestling. I even got my nephew into the old stuff and he wants to know why current WWE is so boring when compared to classic WWF with all the great gimmicks and characters lol! Anyway, it's because of my rekindled love of classic WWF action that I started playing my WWF wrestling games for the Mega Drive and SNES and I've been loving them, but going back to them has only reminded me of what an utter missed opportunity Rage in the Cage for the Mega CD was! What I would absolutely LOVE is for somebody with the know-how to make a hack (or whatever you call it) of this game and make these three additions/changes in order to make this title finally realise the potential it had all along, namely to be easily the greatest 16-bit WWF wrestling game ever!

1) Include the Tag Team Championship tournament. This is one of the most baffling things missing in the game. I mean there are three actual tag teams in the game, Money Inc. ('The Million Dollar Man' Ted Dibiase is my fave wrestler of all time!), The Headshrinkers and The Nasty Boys. Tag teams present in the roster but no option to play as a tag team? I mean what the actual fuck?!

2) Include the Royal Rumble mode. Another obvious and glaring omission from the game considering that the game boasted a 20 man roster. Even if we were limited to only six men in the ring at once as in the SNES and Mega Drive game, it would still be fucking awesome!

3) Replace all the wrestlers' midi theme tunes on the character select screen with their actual CD streamed real theme tunes!

Those three things would make this game fucking rock and I would love to know how I would go about getting somebody to do this for me and other old school 16-bit WWF fans? I'm serious! I'd even pay whoever did it for their time and work, but not being tech-minded like a lot of you guys, I honestly wouldn't know where to begin.
    Has nobody done this for me yet?! C'mon fellas, get to it!

Thread Information