Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 16-bit CPUs vs 1 32-bit CPUs

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dragonboy
    what?? only 4 registers? Motorola 68000 had 16 registers and it was only 16-bit?

I alway expected 32-bit CPUs to have around 64 or 128 registers since the instruction legnth is longer and they could fit more register-select bits in 32-bit instructions than on 16-bit instructions.
    You'd think. Register to register operations are faster than memory or cache to register, etc. But backwards compatibility added to the problem. Instead over time they created bigger cache levels, larger pipelines, specialized parallel processing for pair/multiple instructions, etc.

Other brand 32bit CPUs have much larger set of registers like Hitachi, MIPs, NEC, ARM.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE
    4gigs is only limited to address bus size... 68000 is 16bit but it doesn't limit its address space to 64KB...
    Hence why PCs take advantage of PAE which increases addressable space to 36-bits instead of 32.

Outrunner

I love MDs dual CPU nature... both CPUs run pretty much independently and thus I can dedicate both to different tasks (in my case, Z80 does all sound stuff and 68K all game).
    Yes, having a processor dedicated to audio gives a huge bust in performance as the main game code just tells the Z-80 when it has to play a sound effect or change the music. The same is true for graphics which why at the heart of modern 3D chips are fast processors dedicated to 3D.

Sony does think more processors the better thus the design of the PS3 and when running *nix builds optimized for the PS3 has insane amount of MIPS. The PS3 is the ultimate *nix box, though I don't think that is what Sony was aiming for with the PS3.

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psy
    Yes, having a processor dedicated to audio gives a huge bust in performance as the main game code just tells the Z-80 when it has to play a sound effect or change the music. The same is true for graphics which why at the heart of modern 3D chips are fast processors dedicated to 3D.
    For samples playback yes, but for FM and PSG control no (that's only 1-3% cpu resource per frame). But that's only because the Genesis lacks any real interrupt mechanism to playback samples via the 68k on a realistic level. Meh- the 68k is slow at interrupts anyway (50cycle overhead), so I guess I'd still have the z80 playback to the DAC regardless

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Having a complex Vint routine has pretty nice speed impact from my tests... especially on 60Hz machines. I'll be having hard time getting my 50Hz optimized game running decently on 60Hz (MD game)...
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Banned by Administrators dragonboy's Avatar

I love MDs dual CPU nature... both CPUs run pretty much independently and thus I can dedicate both to different tasks (in my case, Z80 does all sound stuff and 68K all game).
    You always say you make a lot of cool music for the Sega Genesis, but whenever I click on the links to your music, it doesn't work on my computer. What do I need on my computer to hear your music?

(I already have an emulator, just so you know)

YM3438 Master! ESWAT Veteran evildragon's Avatar

WinAmp for one. Anything that plays OGG.

I think VLC does too.
    Customized Sega Genesis Model 1 - VA3. Energy efficient with buck converters instead of LM7805's.

the ROMs SHOULD work in emulators, they do on real HW, and if they don't start, the emulator used sucks.
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Even if they do run, the emulator may still suck and not produce the sounds correctly.

Fusion does sound very good, and Gens and other emus I've tried are acceptable until drums come to action... Emulators I've tested and found to work : Fusion, Gens based ones, Kgen98, Genecyst, Megasis, Retrodrive, Regen, DrMD(on GP32), Xega and Dgen.

Banned by Administrators dragonboy's Avatar

Fusion does sound very good, and Gens and other emus I've tried are acceptable until drums come to action... Emulators I've tested and found to work : Fusion, Gens based ones, Kgen98, Genecyst, Megasis, Retrodrive, Regen, DrMD(on GP32), Xega and Dgen.

I have Gens, but it doesn't work on mine. Is there something special I have to do while downloading it?
    Last edited by dragonboy; 04-01-2008 at 07:18 PM.

not that I know of...

Thread Information