Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warlock

Default Warlock

It's been a while since we reviewed a licensed game, and just when you thought we'd gotten them all, Warlock pops into our sights. Stiff, frustrating gameplay combines with brutal difficulty to produce yet another game you might remember getting for Christmas instead of Gunstar Heroes or Rocket Knight Adventures. Yeah, we hear you, and you probably won't be surprised to know that games like this don't get better with age. Check out our full review of Warlock for all the sad details. See new Genesis gamers? This is the type of crap you have to wade through to reach the good stuff!
    Last edited by Melf; 08-23-2011 at 08:43 PM.

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

someone on here name one good movie based game. AND DONT GIVE ME TRUE LIES LOL. I dont like true lies, but all my friends always say its a good game. I cant think of a good one. T2 the arcade game doesnt work either. Maybe the first terminator. Anyways, i digest. discuss.
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

Willow in the Arcade was alright, not great, but alright.

Banned by Administrators

Have you forgotten about Aladdin trekbone87

And Demolition Man, but I say that just because Aladdin has already been mentioned.

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

Allllllllaaddddin. there ya go. thats a great one.
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

You need to make things tough, name a good game based on a movie Julian Sands was in.

Actually that is pretty easy because this is the only game that meets that criteria and it isn't any good.

To answer the burning question, the movie isn't that great.

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raśl Julia...

Grand Duke of Nukem Master of Shinobi Nunzio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Venture
    You need to make things tough, name a good game based on a movie Julian Sands was in.

Actually that is pretty easy because this is the only game that meets that criteria and it isn't any good.

To answer the burning question, the movie isn't that great.
    First of all, the movie is off the freaking hook and second of all, Arachnophobia for the Amiga. What?!
    S A V E R U S T Y

mm did you really play the game? or perhaps the european version is different from the american version:

"When your character's head turns into a skull, you're dead and you have to start THE WHOLE GAME OVER! That's right, no level restarts. The entire game must be restarted from the beginning."

wrong, when you die, you simply restart in the level you are playing, the levels even have checkpoints, so you dont have to restart all the entire level. and the game have a password system!

"Your character has to kneel to shoot the magic blast, which means that flying enemies just fly at you and take some health."

no, you can shoot diagonally, and Druid dont have to kneel to shoot diagonally! so you can kill flying enemies.

"Your second weapon is an orb that follows you, but it's quite slow, so fast enemies will probably still hurt you. Also, some enemies take multiple hits to kill, so the orb won't kill them. There goes some more health! You can only shoot diagonally, not straight up, so that means that enemies above you are impossible to kill."

wrong again, you can send the orb in 5 different directions and that includes, front, back and up!

"EVEN WORSE, the number of lives are very limited, and you're lucky enough to get two lives saved up."

nop, you have very lives all over, normally you will have 7 to 9 lives while playing!

I have buyed the game when it cames out back in 1994, because I have seen the movies, and because at that time in Australia a kid killed another one like Warlock did in the movie to gain superpowers, and that was a lot of controversy. I have beaten the game at least 10 times!

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nunzio
    First of all, the movie is off the freaking hook and second of all, Arachnophobia for the Amiga. What?!
    1. I saw the movie recently. The movie was never on the hook in the first place so it cannot be "off the hook". You are either suffering from a massive head trauma or you are the President of the Julian Sands fan club.

I never owned an Amiga and I really can't see how a game based on "Arachnophobia" could be anything more than "run around and kill a bunch of spiders".

But if you can explain how a spider with no reproductive organs can somehow mate with another spider from a totally different continent only to have it spawn "drones" then you win a Goliath Birdeater Spider*.

*not really

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raśl Julia...

The cover art of Children of Bodom's Something Wild album reminds me of Warlock:

New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Elemental Master WCPO Agent GameUser-16-32-128's Avatar

After reading that review, I'm not totally convinced that the game should be avoided. It's actually making me curious and peaking my interest in obtaining a copy from ebay. It can't possibly that bad. Does the editor in chief actually play these games before posting the reviews?

Second Base = Best Base Raging in the Streets Tanegashima's Avatar

Hey, I saw the Warlock movies when i was a kid, I saw the second movie in theaters (my mom never cared how old we were, we got to see anything...to the chagrin of dad). When this game came out, I thought it'd be cool because I hope one could play as the Warlock, how disappointed I was...

From Brazilian Lands Death Adder's minion Mega Drive's Avatar

It has been years since I played Warlock, but based on the memories I have I must agree to all here that stated the review as exagerated. It is not a fantastic game, of course, but it is not that bad. I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by GameUser-16-32-128
    Does the editor in chief actually play these games before posting the reviews?
    Reviews are subjective and the opinion of the writer. I don't have to play every game reviewed because the reviews aren't being written to please me. There are plenty of reviews here I don't agree with, but that's what the reader review comments are for.

The fact that you want to try the game out for yourself means the review did its job. If you disagree with the score, fine. That makes for great discussion. Just remember that not everyone shares your opinion.

Thread Information