Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Metal Head

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Metal Head is a great game IMO, I'd give it a nice 7

I need to get a cart of that...
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

I played this game alot back in 98 or 99 and I thought it was an ok game. I mean Cosmic Carnage and Motocross were huge turds for the 32X.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    I played this game alot back in 98 or 99 and I thought it was an ok game. I mean Cosmic Carnage and Motocross were huge turds for the 32X.
    Cosmic Carnage was a little more playable than Zaxxon's Motherbase in my opinion, but I still feel Motocross is undeniably the worst game for the add-on.

Also, sad to say I found out I still suck at Metal Head! XD

Road Rasher

Lol, I enjoyed both Motocross and Zaxxon. Again, neither game is "instantly" playable. You need to spend some time with them to appreciate them (which most people would say about Metal Head). I don't like fighting games so I can't comment too much on cosmic carnage. The sprite scaling and rotation is pretty cool though.
    4 classic video game reviews every week - IMPLANTgames on YouTube

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Just beat this one on Normal, then Hard. Comments here. I'm closer to The Coop's opinion than Chilly Willy or TmEE, but I still think this is a perfectly decent game, far better than the review makes it out to be. I gave it 6/10 on the star-thing.

Anyone know what the medals at the end represent? When I beat it on Normal, I got two, but when I beat Hard I got a row of five medals, with a blank spot in the #3 position where a sixth could have been (i.e. 1-2-[ ] 4-5-6).

BTW I like Motocross and Cosmic Carnage (the former, which I've beaten, more than the latter), but am befuddled by 32X Zaxxon.

EDIT: Oh, also, the link in the first post is broken.

Also, from the review:

"While I am here I might as well mention that anybody who thought that shooting parked cars was fun has to be dragged out to the street and shot himself!"

Funny line, I guess -- but it misses the point, though in fairness I originally missed the point too: the mission objective in that stage (the one with the row of "parked cars") is to destroy the stationary mechs under maintenance. I believe that doing that initiates the next part of the mission, when your allies bomb the area.

That said, a legitimate knock on the game is definitely that some of the mission objectives aren't explained well. It took me a couple playthroughs to figure out WTF I was supposed to do in certain stages, but once I did, smooth sailing.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Question

-
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    destroy the stationary mechs under maintenance.
    OK since u mentioned it, I never understand what exactly the "stationary mechs" are. Is it referring to the parked cars in that stage? I just never see any stationary mechs lol.

Also what is the dumpster refererence to? What stage? I guess there's one stage where u blow up a trailor or something that u guys must be referring to. Otherwise all I see are parked cars to shoot, in the environment.

BTW can anyone get the codes to work? I can almost beat it but I'd love the supposed level select:

http://www.ign.com/cheats/games/metal-head-32x-7715

Level Select

At the title screen, quickly press Up, Up, Up, Down, Down, Down, A, B, C, X, Y, Z.
    Also a "bonus robot" sounds great if only I could get this code to do something:
    At the title screen, quickly press A, B, B, A, X, Z for a secret robot.
    Anyone have any luck with these?

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    OK since u mentioned it, I never understand what exactly the "stationary mechs" are. Is it referring to the parked cars in that stage? I just never see any stationary mechs lol.
    Yeah, it's confusing, but IIRC the stationary mechs are indeed the things that look like parked cars, and are your target. When you blow them up, it initiates the second part of the stage, i.e. the air strikes. It's all kind of confusing, but once you figure it out it's easy enough.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post

BTW can anyone get the codes to work? I can almost beat it but I'd love the supposed level select:

http://www.ign.com/cheats/games/metal-head-32x-7715

Also a "bonus robot" sounds great if only I could get this code to do something:

Anyone have any luck with these?
    They're all fake; none of them work. The only code that exists is the Anime team option, but it's pretty worthless.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    They're all fake; none of them work. The only code that exists is the Anime team option, but it's pretty worthless.
    But but... then everything looks so kawaiiiiiiii! :3
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Yeah, it's confusing, but IIRC the stationary mechs are indeed the things that look like parked cars, and are your target. When you blow them up, it initiates the second part of the stage, i.e. the air strikes. It's all kind of confusing, but once you figure it out it's easy enough.
    Ha Yeah I can beat the stage easy enough; I just kept looking for some actual group of "stationary mechs" that I figured I might have been missing lol. Like I imagined a bunch of mechs sitting around in some specific area, with parts of their bodies taken apart for maintenance. It's what it sounds like to me. I can't understand how they called the parked cars that lol.

At least I'm not alone in enjoying this game. I've always liked it despite its obvious flaws. I can't bring myself to change the character portraits. The default ones are just too funny.

Nameless One

Wow - I think the review is far too tough on Metal Head, I'd give it at 6/7.
    The draw distance is pretty bad yes, the controls are actually pretty good once you've re-wired your brain to them and the slow speed is contra'd by the run button.
    I had a huge amount of fun figuring out the best strategy and weapons for each stage and once you have them down you can speed run the game.
    Also I find the music pretty exhilarating ! Sega produced something different to other games around at the time and kudos to them for making an ambitious and playable game.

Whoa, I'd forgotten that this got a 2/10 review -- that's way too harsh for a game this playable (and it is quite playable).

BTW the link in the first post is still broken; this is the right one.

I'd give Metal Head a 6 or 7 out of 10.

I'd give this review for Metal Head a 2 out of 10. I hate to bash the reviewer since I appreciate the contribution, but he doesn't really manage to say anything more than that the game is "boring" in his opinion. A rating of 2 really deserves more justification than that. Being able to see beyond your personal likes/dislikes is an essential quality to a good reviewer, because eventually you're going to have to review a great game that just doesn't appeal to you. If you can't review it at least somewhat objectively, then you probably shouldn't be reviewing it.

Thread Information