Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    This deserves more attention. It's nothing huge but as far as I know, it remains completely exclusive to Pac-Man 2 on the Genesis. I believe Namco doesn't have the rights to Jr. Pac-Man.
    It's not so much that they don't have the rights as everything based on the original Pac Man were illegal bootlegs. Namco settled for claiming ownership of Ms Pac Man, but after that they wanted nothing to do with Midway's new bootlegs and cut ties with them.

Namco is the only one who could claim ownership of Jr Pac Man, but it will likely always remain a bootleg that is never officially ported to anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    It's not so much that they don't have the rights as everything based on the original Pac Man were illegal bootlegs. Namco settled for claiming ownership of Ms Pac Man, but after that they wanted nothing to do with Midway's new bootlegs and cut ties with them.

Namco is the only one who could claim ownership of Jr Pac Man, but it will likely always remain a bootleg that is never officially ported to anything.
    Atari completed ports of Jr. Pac-Man for the 2600, 5200, and 8-bit computers. Only the 2600 version was released. The other two are presumed to have been canceled due to Jack Tramiel. I believe an Atari-produced release for an Atari system can be construed as "official". The game was also released a bit later for Commodore 64 and DOS. I haven't seen any source on the intimate details of how these ports came about, but they were legit commercial releases. Presumably someone had good reason to believe they had the rights.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Atari completed ports of Jr. Pac-Man for the 2600, 5200, and 8-bit computers. Only the 2600 version was released. The other two are presumed to have been canceled due to Jack Tramiel. I believe an Atari-produced release for an Atari system can be construed as "official". The game was also released a bit later for Commodore 64 and DOS. I haven't seen any source on the intimate details of how these ports came about, but they were legit commercial releases. Presumably someone had good reason to believe they had the rights.
    The company producing the bootlegs took money from other companies for a license they didn't have the rights to in the first place.

Tengen's NES Tetris was also "commercially" released, but they never had the rights to publish Tetris on consoles.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Tengen's NES Tetris was also "commercially" released, but they never had the rights to publish Tetris on consoles.
    And they were taken to court over it and the game was pulled from shelves. I don't believe that happened in this case.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    That's awesome, LinkuieBR. I had no idea you could do that in the game, thanks for sharing.
    I feel the same way. It's a great piece of information indeed.

Thread Information