Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gamegear vs. Gameboy...

Back in the day, I had a gameboy, while two friends of mine had a Sega Game Gear and an Atari Lynx, respectively.
    We had lots of opportunity to compare the units. The Game Gear definitely got bonus points for the TV-module that could be attached - so it won in the field of extras. TEchinically, we were impressed by some of the games on the Lynx. My friend liked it especially because he was left-handed and it could be switched around for left-hand mode.

But in the end, the gameboy was more fun. It just handled better, and while it was only black&white, back then it worked in its favor because you could sometimes hardly make out what was going on in those old color screens.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    Sonic1 and 2 on SMS/GG are better than MD Sonic1 and 2.....

Sonic 1 on sms is easily a match for the megadrive game, SMS Sonic 2 however isn't anywhere near as good sadly. This is not opinion, it is pure fact!

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

The original Gameboy games were great in their time, but now alot of them seem dated and too short. GBC improved on that a bit, although it had a tendency to look rather ugly, as well. There were great games on both consoles, but I don't find many of the older GB/GBC games compelling enough to keep playing after finishing them, if I even get that far, with a few exceptions.
    I had a GG once, but my mom broke it. I would never buy one again, simply because of the battery issue and how bulky it was. I'd rather emulate it on PSP or DS. But the games on it are OK.
    Between the 3 gameboys, I prefer GBA, but I'm not diehard about it (I use it to play puzzle games, some RPGs, Pokemon, and similar games, mostly).
    As far as color handhelds go, I prefer the Neo Geo Pocket Color. It's library is short, but sweet. There are very few bad games on it, just some better than others. To a lesser extent I also like the Bandai Wonderswan, but the NGPC takes the cake.

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

The GG had an Aleste shooter for it, that alone makes it better than the GB. There is a portable turbographix 16 if im not mistaken, but that is probably better to compare to the nomad.

PSP and DS can do emulation? That alone would actually make an old school stalwart like myself consider purchasing it.

I guess there is a new model of the nintendo ds coming out called the DSI. Its the same but 12% thinner and without gameboy advance compatability and it comes with a camera function.

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Ball Gamer View Post
    The GG had an Aleste shooter for it, that alone makes it better than the GB. There is a portable turbographix 16 if im not mistaken, but that is probably better to compare to the nomad.

PSP and DS can do emulation? That alone would actually make an old school stalwart like myself consider purchasing it.
    Yup. I'm thinking of getting both. My nephew has a PSP and despite the flack it gets in some circles, I find it to be pretty nice. Both PSP and DS will run the emulators available for them online. And PSP, being a Playstation offshoot, has the advantage of being able to run PS1 games on the spot (provided they're converted to the right format), since it has a built in PS1 emulator initially integrated to make porting older PSX titles easier for developers.

I guess there is a new model of the nintendo ds coming out called the DSI. Its the same but 12% thinner and without gameboy advance compatability and it comes with a camera function.
    I didn't hear about this yet. Kind of disappointing to watch the GBA compatibility thrown out, but I do enjoy the advantage of being more compact. That's why I like handhelds, but this DSI might just end up being another Gameboy Micro.

Thread Information