Quantcast

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Adventures of Batman & Robin

Gameplay wise the high point of the game is definitely the boss fights, they're all very impressive and a whole load of fun to play, I often chuck the game on and use a cheat to warp straight to the Mad Hatter, and Two Face bosses just to play them over and over (Not that I can't do the game without cheating, I've completed it multiple times with little problem).

For the most part level layouts are weak, but the game controls well and is constantly throwing enemies at you so you don't get much time to get bored, though a few levels do have respectable layouts.

Music is great, and very memorable, gets the blood pumping

Other than that the flying level is too long, and there aren't enough levels.

Overall the game can be repetitive, but the never-ending enemies, and pulse pounding music keeps it engrossing, and the boss fights are exciting and impressive, 2-player is also a bonus. I would recommend it for genre fans, others should probably stick with more accessible games like Gunstar Heroes.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Ninja Gaiden cutscenes have line scrolling, and then there is 3D World Runner. All points are invalid.

"... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    But, I have to say, Phantasy Star II has some parallax scrolling the Master System cannot do either.
    Shhh... don't ruin it. He get's really pissed off whenever I call PS II 8bit .
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Speaking of awesome soundtracks, crazy graphics, cutscenes, tough gameplay and batman while having barely anything to do with batman:
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    8 bit eh? I don't think the Master System can do much of the graphics in this game. Not the one on the first stage, not the first flying stage, not the shaking building before that, not the ball claw, the cat head boss (at least not falling down), none of the other flying stages.
    SMS probably can't do the colour--the NES certainly can't though it could equal the sprite count--but both could manage the flying stages minus maybe the fog. There's nothing remotely impressive about those flying stages in graphics or play. The rest of the stuff you mention is special effects; I understand those are the reason 80% of our membership play Genesis games but they don't do anything for me and they don't improve the fundamental graphics. And the fundamental graphics just look like those of a supercoloured NES game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    No no no, not from you. You like PS II. That's 8bit. This is 16 to the max.
    PSII's monsters have more animation than the enemies in AB&R--and AB&R only has about three different enemies per stage. PS II and IV look leaps and bounds better than AB&R, III's about equal.
    And "16 bit to the max"? Really? There are hundreds of better looking Genesis games than AB&R.

Quote Originally Posted by sheath
    I'll have to give this a shot again and see if the weapons power ups help me out at all. I have always tried to play it primarily with the jump kick and punches and not with the projectiles.
    Yeah that's backwards, projectiles come first, the kick is used to separate yourself from enemies--pretty much why it's programmed as a double jump.

Phantasy Star II has hideous graphics, even on SMS it would've looked bad

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    Yeah that's backwards, projectiles come first, the kick is used to separate yourself from enemies--pretty much why it's programmed as a double jump.
    I assumed I couldn't just put the bat bolas or whatever on auto fire because of the charge bar and how much more powerful they are when you use them strategically. Then I was having too much fun with the in fighting to use the projectiles unless I needed to. But then I also get shot a lot more. I might have to play this today and see if it makes any difference.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    the graphics are distinctly unimpressive and 8 bit. AB&R strikes me as a scrapped NES game converted to the Genesis with a couple bells and whistles: enhanced colour and a few fx the NES couldn't manage. The soundtrack is mediocre, the sfx scant, and both weak.
    wow. If I didn't know better, I would think this was talking about Batman: Revenge of the Joker, only that game came out for NES as Return of the Joker and actually looks and sounds much better on that system. Nothing about The Adventures of Batman and Robin looks 8 bit to me.

Adventures of Batman & Robin on the Genesis:

Pros:
    • Stellar Graphics! All the various effects and amount of animation present are impressive.
    • Spiffy techno music.

Cons:
    • High difficulty that is often unreasonable.
    • Weak projectile weapons that are woefully ineffective at anything less than maximum power.
    • Enemy health-bars often high. You don't stand much of a chance of fending them off if your weapon isn't at max power. To make matters worse they continuously respawn.
    • Unusually long levels that feel amateurishly designed.
    • Mediocre controls that artificially ramp up the difficulty even more. Can't seamlessly run & shoot at the time same like other games of this genre, and theres always a certain delay in movements and shooting. Pretty bad for a bullet hell side-scroller that demands you be on the move at all times.

Overall, a technical showcase for the console, but a very flawed shooter whose wonky controls and unforgiving difficulty make this one tough to enjoy. The team that made this should have loaned this one off to another, more experienced developer, to handle gameplay and level design instead.

Its still a fun title at times despite its issues, but there are other more competently designed shooters on the console worth your time instead. A 2.5 out of 5.
    Last edited by Saturn Fan; 09-06-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Technical Masterpiece!!

9/10
    Last edited by LinkueiBR; 08-30-2015 at 02:22 AM.
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Shadow of the Beast II - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2275/

Sunset Riders - Enhanced Colors:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2287/

Turrican - Fixed:
    http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2535/

Banned by Administrators

Wow, now B&R for Genesis is getting blasted for looking like crap and even going as far to say it looks like it's 8-Bit? The game even has art from the animators of the actual Batman TAS show, just like in Genesis Aladdin. ... Whatever, crazy world.

I also find it very funny that many point small sprites as a flaw. Yet in reality smaller sprites = much, much better gameplay. Bigger sprites ruined a lot a games. Especially pre-32-Bit era. But not just because of system limitations either, just to make it clear. ... Oh well, I at least was very proud when I seen the shmups.com community understand this a few days ago... well, at least Bil from that site got it. And Bil is a guy who really digs deep into his games & thus why he knows his stuff.

Also, the only episode of Console Wars I seen was the Aladdin and Batman & Robin episode. And of course I cringed when they pointed the smaller sprites as a flaw too. Plus said that because of the bigger sprites of the SNES B&R, the characters had more detail, yet failed to mention the Genesis version don't sweet it as much with smaller sprites & detail because it run in Hi-Res, unlike all SNES game which run in Lo-Res. These guys not understanding stuff like this and making comparisons really bothers me (why at least on GameSack, Joe at least has some great understandings of these 2 consoles. Which is a relief to me personally), thus can't stand to watch Console Wars anymore. ... I also don't get how the SNES won in the music department, as the reason they used doesn't make sense. It should just be which one sounds better. Why did they complicate it with BS? ... Also, a game being hard should never be a factor against any said game if it can be 1cc'ed (and I seen a 1cc vid for this game). If anything, it should be a plus for various reasons. If you don't like hard games, that's fine, but it don't mean it automatically makes it bad. Just not for you, thus if you can't beat it & enjoy beating hard games, don't review it. Just like if you don't like RPGs, don't review RPGs. Simple. So yeah, so many things wrong with that show.

Nameless One

The only thing that makes me crazy in this game: WHY B&R are humpbacked, and WHY they make Batman and Robin throw bat-rangs and shurikens? It just looks stupid, if you think it's not -- try to throw things like this for 5 minutes. Better and cooler if they use guns. Original cartoon wasn't that crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn Fan View Post
    Overall, a technical showcase for the console, but a very flawed shooter whose wonky controls and unforgiving difficulty make this one tough to enjoy.
    I agree with this. As amazing as the game game looks, it's a poor Gunstar Heroes clone in desperate need of a complete gameplay and level design overhaul.

Wonky controls? I never once got that impression. The game plays very smoothly and responsive for me, and doing stuff like flying kicks works great as a means to avoid projectiles.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

^That's been my experience too. The only stage flaw I can think of is that the shoot 'em up stage goes on too long. Otherwise the game is overall excellence.

Thread Information