Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: B.O.B.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agostinhobaroners View Post
    The controls are flawless in the Genesis/Sega CD version IMO.
    About the SNES version I can't say the same. That version was made by another company; they improved the graphics but some platforms and jumps aren't as they should be anymore.
    Aha, then my above opinions* may reflect the fact that I've played the SNES and 32X versions quite a bit more than the Genesis, and infinitely more than the Sega CD version (which I've basically never played). But on no platform have I played it for more than a couple hours, though I've been meaning to wage a multiplatform campaign against this game in the medium future.

*(and general disappointment with the game, to be honest, though I was starting to enjoy the 32X version despite its weird framerate issues; I think the labyrinthine first stage puts me off, but the later stages I reached seemed much more my style)

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agostinhobaroners View Post
    Probably I phrased it poorly...
    This is seldom your problem.

But if you want to collect all items (or most of them)
    You mean the tablets or whatever they are to see the full ending, or every single pickup in the game? The former isn't taxing on the memory and the latter would be beyond pointless unless you're out to make some immortal video.

or go for a speedrun without frustration
    Speed run PtMA? Is speed running something you normally take in to consideration when evaluating games?

The design of the platforms is top class IMO (unlike many other western games).
    Yes it is. On another note Activision publications don't seem well regarded. In looking up a few I was reminded of X-Kaliber, a hack and slash on SNES you may like (it's probably too simple though), and found this IGN idiocy current opinion on Pitfall tMA. Embarrasingly enough, contemporary reviews of Pitfall tMA weren't much better.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Aha, then my above opinions* may reflect the fact that I've played the SNES and 32X versions quite a bit more than the Genesis, and infinitely more than the Sega CD version (which I've basically never played). But on no platform have I played it for more than a couple hours, though I've been meaning to wage a multiplatform campaign against this game in the medium future.

*(and general disappointment with the game, to be honest, though I was starting to enjoy the 32X version despite its weird framerate issues; I think the labyrinthine first stage puts me off, but the later stages I reached seemed much more my style)
    32X version plays really bad due to the framerate problem; avoid. The sound part actually is as weak as the Genesis version so I really don't like that one.
    SNES version looks great but the control doesn't work as it should in some parts.

The Sega CD version is the one to go IMO. Superior sfx compared to all other versions, awesome soundtrack and the extra levels also included in the 32X version.

Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    You mean the tablets or whatever they are to see the full ending, or every single pickup in the game? The former isn't taxing on the memory and the latter would be beyond pointless unless you're out to make some immortal video.
    Every single pickup.

Speed run PtMA? Is speed running something you normally take in to consideration when evaluating games?
    I never take that into consideration, but PtMA is also fun to play if you're going for a speed run.

Yes it is. On another note Activision publications don't seem well regarded. In looking up a few I was reminded of X-Kaliber, a hack and slash on SNES you may like (it's probably too simple though), and found this IGN idiocy current opinion on Pitfall tMA. Embarrasingly enough, contemporary reviews of Pitfall tMA weren't much better.
    Yeah... Looks like many people in US still has some sort of anger against Activision from the '80s crisis... IDK, for me Activision brand means something good...
    Pitfall is usually trashed or taken as a Jungle Book-like game. Feels like all beautiful platformers from the end of the 16-bit era were tagged as generic and mediocre just to promote the new 3D garbage.

Bumping a thread that has been dormant for 6 years, but I thought I'd share some info about B.O.B. that hasn't yet been brought to light in this topic.

There is something SNES-esque about the game, isn't there? I'm trying to figure out why the game's basic concept feels so familiar to me, but the only referent I can come up with is Harley's Humongous Adventure which isn't a worthy comparison. It must be a game I never beat, then, since I'm not spotting it on my list. (Skuljagger? Naah.)

I don't recall, were the developers British? For some reason I consistently seem to like the aesthetic/design of Genesis games developed in the UK.
    B.O.B. was developed by Gray Matter and a guy named Chris Gray. Gray Matter was Canada's largest game developer at the time, apparently. As for why the game's basic concept feels so familiar to you, it may be because apparently B.O.B. shares the same game engine as Wayne's World. Thankfully, B.O.B. is far superior than WW, lol.

Also, it looks like according to this interview, B.O.B. originated as a Super Nintendo title and was then ported to the Genesis. It might explain why the game's functions are better suited to the SNES and such.

I wrote a review for B.O.B. on my original site 11 years ago, but last night just published a brand new take of that old review. My SNES B.O.B. review can be read here:

http://rvgfanatic.com/wordpress/index.php/bob/

It's a shame B.O.B. was a critical flop. I think the SNES version is actually pretty darn good all things considered and a refined sequel could have taken it to the next level. Actually, B.O.B. would be a good candidate to be revived for the Switch. It'll probably never happen though but I rather like the game's humor and various mechanics. It had some neat ideas and memorable bosses. Too bad it never got off the ground.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    B.O.B. was developed by Gray Matter and a guy named Chris Gray. Gray Matter was Canada's largest game developer at the time, apparently. As for why the game's basic concept feels so familiar to you, it may be because apparently B.O.B. shares the same game engine as Wayne's World. Thankfully, B.O.B. is far superior than WW, lol.
    Yeah, I've played and beaten Wayne's World and Incredible Crash Dummies since then (on both SNES and Genesis), both of which use that same engine. But I hadn't played them before B.O.B., and it can't have been those games that made B.O.B. feel familiar to me.

Still not sure exactly what it was that triggered that feeling, though; maybe an NES game? It's the combination of non-linear stages + changing weapons while action-platforming + slight cutesiness; other games have #1 and #2, like Super Metroid, Super Turrican, and the lamentable Doom Troopers, but I don't know what I played before B.O.B. that had all three.

Yeah, I've played and beaten Wayne's World and Incredible Crash Dummies since then (on both SNES and Genesis), both of which use that same engine. But I hadn't played them before B.O.B., and it can't have been those games that made B.O.B. feel familiar to me.

Still not sure exactly what it was that triggered that feeling, though; maybe an NES game? It's the combination of non-linear stages + changing weapons while action-platforming + slight cutesiness; other games have #1 and #2, like Super Metroid, Super Turrican, and the lamentable Doom Troopers, but I don't know what I played before B.O.B. that had all three.
    Ah, interesting. Yeah not sure which game triggered that feeling for you then. But I do know what you mean with the NES game musing. To me B.O.B. has sort of an old school back to the basics feel to it that reminds me of an 8-bit NES game. That and its difficulty is reminiscent of many hard NES action games.

I liked it enough to buy it after a rental (when its price dropped to 18 contemporary €). So, OK, it's a mediocre game and after playing the SNES version on real hardware, I have to say it's way better in all aspects except the music (IMHO, of course. I love the music from the Level 2 and its duplicates), but I have a soft spot for it. Maybe because it's an accesible, repetitive shooter-platformer that my 12 year-old me could get in easily.

Nowadays I still like it, knowing it isn't, by no means a "good" game. The only thing that makes me uncomfortable is what our fellow user Joe (from Game Sack) calls 'Tude. Man, over the years I've grown to abhor that 90s 'Tude, and B.O.B. is full of it with his greaser antics: "Poetry In Motion/ walkin' by my side /her lovely loco-motion/ keeps my eyes open wide…"

Thread Information