Quantcast

Thread: Wirehead

Sonic Wirehead

When you think full-motion video games, only one piece of hardware comes to mind: the Sega CD. It boasts perhaps the largest selection of FMV titles, and not all of them are as bad as their reputation would have you believe. Some are actually pretty fun, even funny. Take Wirehead, for example. Cheesy and full of groan-inducing moments, it's humorous enough to keep you engaged until the end. Whether or not that was intentional on the developer's part is something you can debate after reading our full review.

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Pretty solid review there. I have never played this but might pick it up one day as it sounds pretty fun

Isn't that the guy from the Hogan Family... remember that show?
    Yes and yes.

The game was developed by The Code Monkeys [1] [2], though that doesn't explain the MGM Interactive logo on the box.

Master of Shinobi ary incorparated's Avatar

wel the fmv quality doesnt look tht atractive,its looks like somethin you ran away from ive seen better videos on sega cd.

Prince of Shatt Master of Shinobi CMA Death Adder's Avatar

Default ...

Generally, I'm not a fan of FMV games, so it takes a lot for one of them to get me interested. Wirehead is one of the very few FMV games (aside from Night Trap, of course) that I ever found myself playing more than once. This is because it's original, absurd, quirky and funny. I especially like how, during certain 'death' scenes, Ned looks directly at the camera in a scolding manner, to chastise the player openly for their mistake. The scene with him and 'Heels' in the airplane bathroom is a great example of the game's cheesy yet humorous nature.

Of course, like most FMV games Wirehead gets old after a while. Eventually the uniqueness, quirkiness and humor begins to decline. I'd say that after a little over halfway through the game I started to get very bored, and just held on to get to and see the ending sequence, because at or around the halfway point things lose their luster and are just "okay".

Still, all in all an FMV game worth trying - and that's coming from someone who dislikes the genre altogether!
    Cruise by Diskman Presents: filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Wow, I've had several chances to get this game, but always passed because it was an FMV game. I might have to try this one out!

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Beat this last night! It's actually a perfect game for two players, with one manning the controller and the other mapping out the different options on paper. It took my girlfriend and me about 6-7 hours of gameplay all told, though we spent some time exploring the different paths rather than trying to beat the game as quickly as possible.

While it's confusing at first, I eventually came to appreciate how they implemented shortcuts. They're usually associated with selection screens that come up super-fast, so you have to be ready for them and very quick. This encourages you to figure out the normal way to get through a sequence first, and then discover later that you can save a bunch of steps -- or in one case, cut out an entire scene! Some of the game's funniest material is in those skippable sequences ("Aagh...yerf...terrible...") so it works out well.

The only major fault is that one extended sequence near the end, where you have to make 10-12 correct choices in a row or sit through the whole thing again. That got very tedious. Also, there were a few places that "Skip scene..." really should have been implemented, but wasn't.

By the way, this GameFAQs review is completely bizarre, as it has nothing whatsoever to do with the Wirehead we played. Anyone know which game the reviewer was actually reviewing, or was he/she just making the whole thing up?

This never gets old.

Wirehead happened, guys. This was a thing that was made. We can only hope for more people to witness the hilarity.

Dead link to the review .
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Live link to the review of "Wirehead": http://www.sega-16.com/2008/09/wirehead/
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

For some reason I own this game. I had no idea. Box art is certainly interesting looking. Perhaps I'll fire it up.

Thread Information