Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Afterburner III

At least Afterburner III has some good soundtrack (thinking about spending $30 for the Japanese version).

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

I would wait for a better occasion. That is waaayyyyy too much. Even if it is the Japanese version, which is just as bad as the other versions.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Yeah, you can get it much cheaper on eBay. That's way too much for Afterburner III.

Master of Shinobi ary incorparated's Avatar

Sountrak indeed is good but the game is shit come on this looks even worser tahn the first g loc,Which was fine.Afterburner on the genises wasnt that good either i think,id had shit music and unfinished graphics.Therefore 32x version but still dont like the music 100% because the guityar synth sound like snes and not as raw as MD could do normally plus some part are missing in the songs and replaced by simpeler sounds,aldo the 32x could do the solos like in Afterburner 3 but didnt,The drum is the only thing i hear new because that wasnt a spectacular point of the genesis,You hear al kinds of drum with the 32 x version from bass drum to top drum etc.The 32x version is the best version brought to home.

I was so looking forward to this game when it was announced for the Sega Cd. I remember buying it the day it came out and bringing it home. Ouch, I couldn't believe how utterly mediocre it was.

I still have my copy, but I just can't bring myself to play it anymore.

"You could have a bumper car, bumping.
    This amusement never ends..."

Its Crap,like only buying a good afterburner cd,if you have a Cd burner and like the music,burn the shit simple as hell only have to find a copy of that cd ofcourse.The 32x version is cool,if you even heard the mega cd music come with that game then i am really blown away by a genesis sound cart,Still if i hear a game that surpasses Thunder force 4 and has even more atitt ude and on genesis,i totally flip of my chair.

Its Crap,like only buying a good afterburner cd,if you have a Cd burner and like the music,burn the shit simple as hell only have to find a copy of that cd ofcourse.The 32x version is cool,if you even heard the mega cd music come with that game then i am really blown away by a genesis sound cart,Still if i hear a game that surpasses Thunder force 4 and has even more atittude and on genesis,i totally flip of my chair.

And also ,not to mention that CRI replaced the fitting and action soundtrack from Strike Fighter with some remixed tunes from AB and added other (crappy) tracks (including the mysterious version of "Lunar Ground",which differs from the one found in the SF)

Where is all the crazy scaling and rotations the sega cd was made for???

Game developers diid this system no justice.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Just beat this on Expert, after beating Easy and Normal yesterday. I'd give it 4/10 vs. the review's 5/10, though OTOH I think it's slightly better than the review makes it sound (so I'm not really sure why it gets 5/10, since it sounds more like 2 or 3/10 in the review).

Actually this is an interesting case: a bad game that's still kinda fun. Now, I say that as someone with zero attachment to the After Burner series, and no doubt I'd feel differently if I had played the crap out of the arcade game.

But unexpectedly, I found ABIII mildly addictive, and wanted to see it through. Within the context of the game (and its faults), the difficulty curve is tuned fairly well, and it took me 3-4 tries to finally beat Expert. I enjoyed the early levels and ground-based missions to some extent, and having unlimited missiles is great (especially since the regular gun is useless).

That said, the game's technical shortcomings and gameplay flaws make it a disaster. It could be, for example, that the designers intended for the player to depend mainly on radar to dodge incoming missiles, so that the severe sprite breakup and flicker wouldn't be as much of an issue. But that just doesn't work when the action gets fast and furious, and it especially doesn't work when you've got a missile on your tail (or whatever it is that suddenly forces you into third-person mode with no plane in pursuit, often at the worst times and without benefit of radar).

Similarly, the game seems to want you to target incoming enemies early, so that they don't get the chance to fire missiles -- and if they do, a light touch on the afterburner will help you evade the attack. But the enemy spawn patterns make that impossible; you simply can't target most enemies in time, so you're forced to endure constant incoming missile fire, and with the afterburner on, everything goes too fast for you to have time to return to a neutral position.

Thus the game's last levels are spent frantically flailing around, trying not to burn through your reserves of extra lives (and it's pretty easy to accumulate a healthy supply in the early levels) and continues, while enemy planes unleash parallel barrages of nearly-undodgeable missiles. And that part isn't fun at all, but it's just short enough that you can make it through.

So I guess this is how the review ended up at 4/10, and then maybe added a bonus point for the tunes? Those don't do much for me, so I'm stuck at the lower number -- but, I'm glad to say, with no regrets.

BTW, it is "After Burner", not "Afterburner", right? I assume the title is amusing to our German-speaking friends, just as the German word for "[he] drives" has inspired giggles in many a high-school classroom.

Jizzed in my pants... NOT Raging in the Streets M4R14NO94's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Curryman123 View Post
    Where is all the crazy scaling and rotations the sega cd was made for???
    It's because this was originally on the FM Towns.

With an entirely different soundtrack. The one on the SCD version was taken from the FM Towns version of After Burner, which was terrible.

Links and stuffz:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/LanceBoyle94
    www.youtube.com/user/M4R14NO94
    http://lanceboyles.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by "Weird Al" Yankovic (on the AL-TV "interview" with Kevin Federline)
    Really? You mean like if someone got right up on your face and said that you're an IGNORANT, NO-TALENT WHITE TRASH, FORTUNE SQUANDERING VANILLA ICE WANNABE LOSER, you'd be okay with that?

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    BTW, it is "After Burner", not "Afterburner", right?
    Yes it is two words. It doesn't always look that way on the box tho... I didn't figure this out until I started collecting that series.
    Sega Genesis Master Set Collector
    https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Nothing is more depressing than seeing a beloved franchise take a hit in the family jewels. Such was the case with Afterburner III, a game that ignited its thrusters to make a mach 3 jump from awesome to "just plain sucks." Take a deep breath, leave your expectations at the door, and head on in to our full review.

^^ Clicked on link but it leads to nothing

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Ah, all the links were redone a while back. Here's the droid you're...yeah:

http://www.sega-16.com/2005/11/afterburner-iii/

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Ah, all the links were redone a while back. Here's the droid you're...yeah:

http://www.sega-16.com/2005/11/afterburner-iii/

Thanks!

+rep good sir.

Thread Information