Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shadowrun translation

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by TheEdge View Post
    It was definitely a strange story. I'm going by memory here but the Genesis version of shadowrun was a guy is investigating the death of his brother that was tied to a mega corporation that was controlled by a Dog Spirit from ancient times........lol, I'm not even joking the end boss looked like a magical dog / kangaroo in a post-modern cybernetic world.

WTF right?
    The Mega CD version of Shadowrun is completely different both story-wise and gameplay-wise.

Talking

Each Shadowrun game has a different story. Its easy to do since its a dice based RPG so there is a ton of background story and you can just create from there.

I always wanted to play the CD version since I heard Compile was involved with the programming.

Road Rasher

Genesis STILL does! Outrunner runback22's Avatar

How is the Genesis version? I've had my eye on it and the story seems interesting especially considering its a 16 bit game.....I've read mixed reviews and just wanted to see what you guys thought of it....

[/url]

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

didn't the Mega CD version have 3D sections?
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crazyteknohed View Post
    Don't jinx it! ;>_>

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    didn't the Mega CD version have 3D sections?
    Nah, not unless you count the grainy, 1fps FMV computer hacking sections. Here's a quasi-review I posted at another forum:

Ah, there're so many Jp games I wish were translated but none more than Shadowrun. I beat it quite recently but I wish a had a scooby-doo as to what was going on. It was plenty playable with my limited knowledge of Japanese (I can only read katakana and the essential words such as hai/iie) and I didn't really get stuck, but I felt there were huge parts of the game I was missing.

I remember ranting on about Shadowrun when I first got it in the 'we want to know' thread, brazenly claiming it to be better than Snatcher. Having played through the game now I wish to retract that statement for as good as Shadowrun is, it is not perfection like Snatcher. For example, some of the weapons you can buy are as good as useless, and even one of the characters too (D-Head). The instructions do give you stats on each weapon but as they're in Japanese I'm none the wiser, and without knowing which stats correspond to power, range, accuracy etc I bought quite a few weapons that I never used. In game stats would have helped immensely in this area.

The computer hacking sections are a chore, with the playing having to watch a grainy, jerky FMV with an awful sountrack. The only gameplay involved in the hacking section is in choosing various options from a menu until you select the right ones. Given the language barrier this is no bad thing if the bloody things didn't go on for so long.

I'm really not selling the game am I? Well aside from these problems the game is very enjoyable. I loved the Shining Force style battle sections and, contrary to what I've read in an online review of the game, the entire battle does not literallly come down to the roll of a die. True, the dice that are used during battle can and do affect the outcome but you can *hint* use the scenery to your advantage when attacking enemies. The graphics and music in the Snatcher-esque point and click sections of the game are very atmospheric, creating a dark image of neo-Tokyo.

Difficulty of the game is, I would say, pitched bang on. Although you can't level up like in a regular RPG this works to the game's advantage as grinding would make the game too easy. In my opinion you should see the Game Over sign quite a few times before finishing a game! You can however upgrade your Shadowrunners with cyberwear and new weapons, and it is possible to upgrade magic by visiting a shamen. The locales change plenty enough between scenarios to keep you interested and the storyline probably does too but sadly I can't comment on that!

Overall, despite its (few) flaws, I thoroughly enjoyed Shadowrun and would whole-heartedly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of both Snatcher and Shining Force, and who isn't afraid of Japanese text.

Incidentally I have plagiarised a guide that somebody else made if anyone is interested in playing the game. My version combines the text and images that were originally separated into one whole, printable Word document. If anyone wants it you can download it here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GFDF9JCN

I should mention that the author made an error in the guide too. D-Head is not the guy with the glasses although it is the guy with the shades for whom you should switch weapons to defeat the first boss. I can't think of his name off the top of my head as I'm on the other side of the planet right now, thousand of miles away from my Mega CD.

Well I didn't intend my post to end up as a mini-review but somehow it's managed it!
    ...and I now that I'm back in the UK I can tell you that Shiun is the guy wearing shades, not D-Head.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    Don't jinx it! ;>_>
    Why don't you help him out, Tommy?

You're a bit of a whizz when it comes to MCD architecture! TmEE, Chilly Willy, anyone? No? Oh well... worth a shot!

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Why don't you help him out, Tommy?

You're a bit of a whizz when it comes to MCD architecture! TmEE, Chilly Willy, anyone? No? Oh well... worth a shot!
    Hehe - if there was a proper mega/segacd debugger, maybe I've worked on/collaborated on a few translations and come to the conclusion - I'd rather stick with original development ROM hacking = easy, PCE/SEGA CD = pain in the ass for variation of reasons.

Damn, and here I was hoping this had been done. I always was quite curious about Shadow Run for the Mega CD. I have a Mega CD system, but wouldn't be able to get into it because I don't speak or read Japanese. A problem I am sure that several of you have, obviously. At least I'm not alone.

The Rhythm Rogue Outrunner cj iwakura's Avatar

FYI, I saw a copy of this for sale at a Miami gaming convention yesterday. $100. I was almost tempted.

Accessing COMP・・Demon Summoning Program Active・・Login Timeout. Access terminated.

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life.
    For me, it was Tuesday." | The Temple of Raul Julia's Witness

Road Rasher

If you shop around it can be had for cheap enough:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I also saw a version on Yahoo Jp go for Y1000!!

Road Rasher

Seems that work is coming along on this:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=5599.0

Looks like we might see a translation of Illusion City too

Wildside Expert

Seems that work is coming along on this:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=5599.0

Looks like we might see a translation of Illusion City too
    Not to be an ass, but it needs a lot more work. The game will look 10 times better if it has a VWF in it. I dunno if they will or not. It looks like they're just doing a really basic hack of it. I could be (and am hopefully) wrong though.
    Twilight Translations: Japanese Games - Englisherize!
    (Engrish not included.)
    Now with 25% more Blog than the next leading brand!

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by RedComet View Post
    Not to be an ass, but it needs a lot more work. The game will look 10 times better if it has a VWF in it. I dunno if they will or not. It looks like they're just doing a really basic hack of it. I could be (and am hopefully) wrong though.
    Looks okay so far:

Thread Information