Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaq Fu

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Huh, Josh, I have to say I found the SNES version much less responsive than the Genesis version. And contrariwise, I thought having fewer characters was almost an advantage, since it made it less of a slog to get through the roster. But the SNES version seemed much more prone to cheap shots on the highest difficulty, though in that version at least Shaq's projectile attack is usable.

Have you been able to beat either the SNES or Genesis version on Expert? I've never found a viable pattern for Kaori. The Genesis version is pretty much the only game in recent memory that's completely thwarted me (on Expert, I mean; lower difficulties are very easy).

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Have you been able to beat either the SNES or Genesis version on Expert? I've never found a viable pattern for Kaori. The Genesis version is pretty much the only game in recent memory that's completely thwarted me (on Expert, I mean; lower difficulties are very easy).
    Yes, I have beaten both the SNES and Genesis versions of the game on the highest difficulty level. I found the Genesis version, particularly the final battle with Sett, much more difficult to beat than the SNES version.

Very nice. Any tips, especially vs. the later enemies (including Kaori)? Did you find yourself using the Shaq-uriken at all?

I got to Sett on the SNES version, but he defeated me handily. The smaller number of battles definitely makes a huge difference, though; I think I was able to 1cc the SNES version on Normal on my first try.

Road Rasher

Very nice. Any tips, especially vs. the later enemies (including Kaori)? Did you find yourself using the Shaq-uriken at all?

I got to Sett on the SNES version, but he defeated me handily. The smaller number of battles definitely makes a huge difference, though; I think I was able to 1cc the SNES version on Normal on my first try.
    I found myself using the Shaq-uriken a lot (the motion is Forward, back, forward + Move Boost in the Genesis version, while it is Forward, back, forward + either punch button in the SNES version). You can move the Shaq-uriken in any direction you want by holding down the button and moving the D-Pad. If you hold the button, the projectile will stay still and not move until you release the button (this can be used to recover your health since your health automatically recovers, very slowly, during the fight). I didn't really use the Inferno Kick (Down, forward + Power Kick in the SNES and Genesis versions) that much unless my opponent was in a corner.

The special-needs snowman Raging in the Streets Olls's Avatar

This is actually not a bad game. I'd rather play this than Eternal Champions.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

^Me too. I can't even beat one round in Eternal Champions. I refuse to believe I'm that terrible at video games.

Nameless One

Currently playing this in story mode (default settings) and thought Id ask for some input regarding the AI.
    From what I understand so far, one can lump enemies together into certain groups:

1st Island
    Auroch (plated beast):
    Get close by jumping in, then spam low attacks (weak kick or strong punch), close small gaps by forward+weak kick or forward + strong kick

Diesel (muscle sailor):
    See Auroch

Rajah(swordman):
    See Auroch
    Update: When closing the gap to him with forward+kick he has a tendency to counter attack. I therefore fight him early, since he seems to be easier then.

Vodoo(sorceress):
    See Auroch

Leotsu (old man):
    Crouch around half a screen away and get read to spam the shield. It helps against both the projectile and the the flashing attack (full screen flash effect). If he jumps in, duck and throw two or three low attacks. This is reliable but often results in timeout.
    Update:
    He seems easier to defeat if you fight him early. Getting very close can be dangerous as he spams his low weak attack extremly fast

Mephis (green skined sorcerer):
    Similar to Leotsu, stay away and remove his projectiles with the shield. He is sometimes jumps in (without attacking), after that spam low attacks

2nd Island
    Kaori (catwoman):
    Im completely at a loss here. Sometimes I win 2:0 with little to no damage, sometimes we chase each other around the whole match and sometimes she just ripps me appart.
    If she can be cornered, she can be pinned there with low weak kicks pretty good, but wether she escapes or even allows herself to be trapped seems to be based on the goodwill of the AI.
    Her teleport attack can be evaded by jumping forward. I also accidentally found that pushing forward and A (which is for running and throwing actually???), has about a 50% chance of blocking the attack and doing small damage to her
    Update:
    Her teleport attack can be defeated by jumping up straight and using strong punch. Timing is difficult however. I wasn't able to make a pattern based on it however
    It appears I'm winning more reliable when jumping all the time, unless she stands right next to Shaq.

Colonel (cyborg):
    See Auroch, but feels a bit unreliable. Getting close can be problematic as he has a machine gun and anti aerial missiles.
    Update:
    I cut down on the jumping alot (only after he fires a missile) and crouch most of the time as that makes the machinegun miss, walking forward slowly, defelecting missiles with the shield

Nezu (karate boy):
    Stay away around 3/4 screen length away and wait for him to fire the "time vault" fireball, the one that keeps the player from moving. Then jump in and spam low attacks.

3rd Island
    Beast (fire creature):
    See Auroch, but feels a unreliable as he seems to be able to punch himself free at will.
    Update:
    Using forward+kick sparingly, I was able to win more times against him.

Sett(mummy):
    Stand in front of him (a bit more than a kick's length away) and spam low attacks. He has a tendency to walk into them.
    Update:
    When around a 3/4 screen length away, he has a high tendency to throw his projectil, which is a good time to jump in on him. If you have a defeclt a projectile using the shield, block high immidetaly after that as he will likely use his shoulder ram.
    Last edited by FSR; 12-09-2014 at 04:23 AM.

Your experiences sound similar to mine. Kaori was probably the trickiest opponent in the whole game, because she was so fast and unpredictable. I never found a consistent pattern for her, but your information about Forward + A is interesting!

As I posted before, I was able to beat the default settings, but Expert...oof. If I ever got past the second group of enemies in the Genesis version, it only happened once or twice.

I think I'll take another run at it soon, though; it irritates me that I never quite beat it (on Expert). I wish we had video of Josh's victory run, or at any rate that there were a playthrough on Expert on YouTube.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Which version of the game was better?

I'm going to have to pick this up, the animations alone are worth it.

Road Rasher

Response to FSR

Thanks for all the helpful tips!

There's no way this game is better as a fighting game than EC. As a single player game possibly, but this game is trash as a competitive fighting game. Not that EC is great, but it holds up much better than Shaq Fu.

Just beat this on Normal. [...] I'll probably try Expert soon, though I think I need a break first -- after a while, pounding the crap out of the kick button gave me serious hand cramps.
    The Genesis version is pretty much the only game in recent memory that's completely thwarted me (on Expert, I mean; lower difficulties are very easy).
    As I posted before, I was able to beat the default settings, but Expert...oof. If I ever got past the second group of enemies in the Genesis version, it only happened once or twice.

I think I'll take another run at it soon, though; it irritates me that I never quite beat it (on Expert).
    And now, more than six years later, I've finally done it! Story mode, Expert difficulty, default settings otherwise; I tried playing with 30 second rounds for a while, but that left me no time to recover if I messed up.

I think the trick was being able to beat the first six enemies reliably (and without using a continue) so that I was able to get in more practice against the second group and play more patiently. Practicing on Duel mode helped too, both normally and with the code Tony H so kindly prepared to let me always fight the same enemy first. Problem is, the game ramps up the CPU difficulty after you win your first 3-4 battles, so fighting Kaori or Nezu first doesn't give you a complete picture of how they'll fight once you run into them in positions #7-9.

Speaking of Kaori, she's more or less the hardest enemy in the game -- partly because her teleport attack is so hard to counter directly (timing the standing punch is very difficult, but a jumpkick will at least get you out of the way), but also because she can combo the crap out of you if you fall into her patterns. However, she's vulnerable to crouching strong punches, and you can often corner trap her with those and take off 50% of her life bar (even more effective against Voodoo and Rajah, BTW, who can be straight-up juggled if you get the timing right). Still, there's no 100% effective pattern against her; you just have to fight accurately and take the initiative, and hope things go your way.

The other tough opponents are Nezu and, if you wait too long to fight him (or are in Duel mode), Leotsu. I strongly suggest fighting Leotsu first, before anyone else; you can get the jump on him by starting out with a combo of Toward+Strong kick followed by a sweep. Nezu's a pain but also somewhat predictable, and can be overpowered in the corner. Beast is fairly vulnerable to sweeps and corner traps and his roar attack is predictable, giving you an opening to get close and wail on him. I beat Sett on my third try, so I'm not sure what strategies are key but an aggressive approach plus a corner trap did the trick.

Also, I had a hell of a time with Mephis and the Colonel until I reread some of the advice in this thread and realized an extremely defensive strategy would work well. They love to spam projectiles, so I just kept my distance and used my shield until they jumped close, whereupon I'd hit them with a sweep or a strong punch/kick. If the Colonel got more aggressive I sometimes had to go for a corner trap, but he'd frequently reply with a nasty punch combo that'd take a huge chunk out of Shaq's life bar. Mephis would occasionally walk right toward me, which was a good time for a projectile attack of my own; nice tip from Josh that the Shaq-uriken can be held in place and moved around -- but Shaq is so slow, I was almost never able to use his special moves.

On Expert, this becomes a very tactical game, and button-mashing won't work; like Mortal Kombat II, it's all about managing the distance between you and the CPU, forcing it to commit to a move and then counterattacking. Too bad they decided to combine the MKII "we'll read your controller inputs and give you limited continues" approach and the Street Fighter II "the CPU does far more damage than you" approach to make a game that feels grossly unfair at times. Even if you didn't have to play as the lethargic Shaq -- who's even a pushover in Duel mode when the AI plays as him -- the controller lag would be a dealbreaker.

Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar

The controller lag killed any interest I had in this game. It's too bad, I liked some of the designs and the animations. At least the included "Shaq Diesel" CD was good for a laugh.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

Bones: "My will...will not die."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Thread Information