Quantcast

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mega Mouse compatible games

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Dungeon Master II supports the mouse.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hand_banana View Post
    Mega Lo Mania was released in 1992 on the mega drive and the mega mouse in 1994.
    I was registered back then?

Anyway, that explains alot! God bless lack of research on my part.

The following games supported the Mega Mouse:

•Body Count
    •Cannon Fodder
    •Janou Touryumon
    •Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker
    •Lemmings 2
    •Lord Monarch
    •Nobunaga no Yabou Zenkokuban
    •Populous
    •Populous 2
    •Richard Scary's Busy Town
    •Shanghai - Dragon's Eye
    •Wacky Worlds
    •Dungeon Master II - Skullkeep (Sega CD)
    •Eye of the Beholder (Sega CD)
    •Mansion of the Hidden Souls (Sega CD)
    •My Paint (Sega CD)
    •Panic (Sega CD)
    •The Secret of Monkey Island (Sega CD)

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Default (Mouse Driven) Adventure games

Any Sega CD (or Genesis for that matter) games that fit the above description? I want to get the most out of my Mega Mouse and IMO it works best for the old Sierra and LucasArts-style Adventure games. I know some people hate the term "point and click" so I will avoid using it in favor of "Mouse driven" or simply "Adventure" or perhaps "Graphical text adventure" games. I hope you all understand what I mean.

A perfect example of the kind of genre I'm looking for is Secret of Monkey Island. Are there any other Genesis or Sega CD games that are in the same genre as SOMI or are at least similar?

Speaking of which, I am currently doing a playthrough of SCD Monkey Island, if only to say I beat it on Sega CD. Also because it's extremely fun. I've beaten it several times before on DOS/PC so I know how to solve all the puzzles.

Willy Beamish is the only thing off the top of my head and it might not even use the mouse, knowing Sierra though it probably will.

Sadly, while the SCD would have been awesome for these games, the fact the mouse was uncommon made developers not want to explore the genre or use the mouse.

Mansion of Hidden Souls is a great adventure game that works beautifully with the mouse.

i'm pretty sure Dungeon Master II: Skullkeep, Sherlock Holmes games and My Paint all utilized the mouse.
    Last edited by Shai'tan; 04-20-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Dungeon Master II does indeed use the mouse, as does Eye of the Beholder. He was referring to point-'n-click games though, and I'm not as knowledgeable in that area. I don't know if Rise of the Dragon or Space Adventure use it.

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

Does the Scooby Doo game use the mouse?

How about Secret of Monkey Island?

And who hates "point and click" (or point n' click)?
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Mansion of Hidden Souls is a great adventure game that works beautifully with the mouse.
    Hmm, I didn't know that game used the mouse. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Dungeon Master II does indeed use the mouse, as does Eye of the Beholder. He was referring to point-'n-click games though, and I'm not as knowledgeable in that area. I don't know if Rise of the Dragon or Space Adventure use it.
    I actually have Eye of the Beholder. Perhaps I should give it a proper go.

I'm not even sure if Power Monger uses the mouse or not. I just wish it wasn't so damn slow. It easily has the longest load times on Sega CD.

Quote Originally Posted by kool kitty89 View Post
    How about Secret of Monkey Island?

And who hates "point and click" (or point n' click)?
    Did you even read the first post? I specifically mentioned having used the mouse extensively with Monkey Island. That game was the reason I bought the mouse in the first place.

Also, I've heard a few people over the years exclaim that "point and click" isn't a correct genre term because it refers to a control interface rather than a game mechanic. No other typical game genre works like that (platformer is a game mechanic. FPS is a game mechanic).

Wildside Expert Brickadier General's Avatar

Not to veer off topic, but it would have kicked incredible ass, had Quest for Glory IV been ported to the Genesis (sans bugs that plagued the PC version). It had a great story and equally fantastic voice acting.

I can't think of any others that haven't already been mentioned. Oh yes, and I've always said, "point and click." Hope no one beats me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    Did you even read the first post? I specifically mentioned having used the mouse extensively with Monkey Island. That game was the reason I bought the mouse in the first place.
    ... I must have read through it too fast (past the first paragraph).

No one seems to have mentioned Snatcher or Dune yet though and as I recall both used the conventional cursor based interface of many graphic adventure games.

Also, I've heard a few people over the years exclaim that "point and click" isn't a correct genre term because it refers to a control interface rather than a game mechanic. No other typical game genre works like that (platformer is a game mechanic. FPS is a game mechanic).
    Well, it can refer to several genres without more specification (plenty of RTS or RPGs use that interface). "point and click adventure" may not be a true genre, but it's often used to describe a graphic adventure game using (primarily) a mouse based interface.
    So graphic adventure would be the genre, generally speaking, but that does extend to several keyboard/text based games too with a full graphical display. (like king's quest or space quest) SCUMM was actually an extension of those early games, adapting a text/key interface to a mouse driven one directly. (or at least cursor driven for platforms lacking mice -using cursor keys or a d-pad/joystick instead)
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    Well they're just knob-heads then. Point 'n' click is just short for point 'n' click adventure, differentiating it from the text adventures that were prominent at the time the first point 'n' clicks were developed. If people really are that pedantic about how video games should be categorised they could just use the full title of "point 'n' click adventure".

Man, I love these types of games! The point and clicks rocks! The only ones I can think of were already mentioned. Monkey Island, Willie Beamish, and the Mansion of the Hidden Souls.

Thread Information