Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Monaco GP

Thumbs up Super Monaco GP

Before a certain hedgehog took the world by storm, Sega was still relying on its arcade ports. Gamers weren't taken by the advertising as well as the company would have liked, but the quality of the games was there. Like e Golden Axe, Sega produced a home version of Super Monaco GP that improved on the original with added modes and features. The World Championship mode is enough to keep players occupied for weeks, and there's some solid arcade racing in there to boot! We have a full review for you, so take a pit stop and read up on this great game.
    Last edited by Melf; 09-03-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Was there no review to this yet??? OMG!

This game is one of the finest ever to grace the MD library. I think it's wonderfully polished, let aside the scratchy voices.
    And I think it plays better than Ayrton Senna's GP, even though it's easier.

I really disliked how Sega posted ARCADE screenshots in their magazine ads. The graphics were clearly far superior than what was actually in the game. Kind of reminds me how most companies put out game screenshots these days for current-gen consoles... pristine renders, no aliasing at all, perfect lighting, motion blur and awesome looking depth of field. Get the game home and it looks like ass. Nearly every game on the market these days is guilty of this. I guess videogame companies just love to lie.

Still, the game is pretty fun if not a bit bare-bones. Race one track and you feel like you've raced them all. The Sega CD version has improved voices and even better drums.

But the Sega CD version doesn't have the gameplay demo the genny version has. You're really missing out on a lot without that demo.

"You could have a bumper car, bumping.
    This amusement never ends..."

First Genesis game I believe to receive a score of "10" from Electronic Gaming Monthly back in 1990 (it would'nt see another one until they reviewed Sonic 2). It received TWO 10's..........wonder what the hell were they smoking, as I don't think that even back in '90 this game was that mindblowing. The gameplay and replay value might've been there, but the graphics were bare-bones as hell compared to the coin-op......then again the coin-op only had ONE track.

The Japanese were in love with "Super Monaco GP" apparently. Reading through some old circa-1990 usenet posts, the coin-op topped the arcade charts for quite a while over there, and the Genesis home port was listed as one of the "Most Wanted" or anticipated games on some chart, I think it was from Famitsu.

Anyways, boring game that never really held my attention. I thought that the chick at the beginning was hot and that the Genny reproduced the arcade intro quite well. The voices were horrible and scratchy, although I liked the dominative tone of "NOW IT'S UP TO YOU!". As of late I've always pictured Eric Estrada saying that in this pic, that is sans the offensive tagline at the bottom:

And yes, the SCD version does feature better music and sound. I believe the entire soundtrack was either enhanced or re-created with the Sega CD sound hardware, unlike the RedBook coin-op tracks on the SCD version of "Golden Axe".

The SCD version has voices done by the Sega CD hardware but the music is all done (re-done) by the Genesis.

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

I remember the TV commercials also showed the arcade version as well.

The arcade version had a lot happening on the sides of the track, but the draw in is horrendous. It looked cool at the time but hasn't aged too well.

I think the bare bones approach to the home versions track have actually kept it looking better over the years.

I always liked how Sega would advertise their other games in racers. At about 10 seconds in there is a "Flicky" sign with a picture of the main character.

The ads for Super Hang On also showed the arcade version.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    The arcade version had a lot happening on the sides of the track, but the draw in is horrendous. It looked cool at the time but hasn't aged too well.

I think the bare bones approach to the home versions track have actually kept it looking better over the years.
    Meh, draw-in was commonplace in Sega's scaling/rotation coin-ops, but I enjoy their graphics despite it. It's like Joe said, all of the tracks more or less look the same in Genesis SMGP except with a different color palette and background. So tedious. That's why I quickly got bored of SMGP I & II when I owned them. At least SMGPII (which for some reason was and is considered inferior to the original.......oh that's right, because it offered little changes/improvements if any) had digitized photos of Senna and cameos by Sonic to spice things up. Oh, and the sound effects were quite improved........the sound that you make when you crash frightens me.

Thumbs up

Best Damn Racing Game on the Genesis

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse813 View Post
    Best Damn Racing Game on the Genesis
    Boy do I agree with this. I can't believe I missed commenting on this when it was first reviewed, however, now I would like to say: Super Monaco GP is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

I actually have the arcade version of this game, and I have always enjoyed it. It gets really crazy under wet track conditions and you can slide through turns like your playing Ridge Racer. Its pretty nuts.

I've also got the Genesis version and to me it seems to be a completely different beast. Not exactly a bad thing, but they certainly don't play the same way.

Thats Awesome Beastech I played the arcade game a few times when I was younger, I don't remember much about it though.

Hey I was in a video game store (called "Game Store") and was lookin at their genesis games, and saw this and got it for $2.99 its quite good.

Thread Information