Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millennium

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

So I came across this:
    http://www.rpgfan.com/features/Best_...ters/best.html
    ^I don't think it's in any specific order, but 2nd from the bottom *spoiler warning for this game, and probably 9 others*.

That one Alys scene leaves an impact most games on consoles with a greater RPG quantity can't compare to(including FFVII, which is comical by comparison).

WCPO Agent

I waited for PS4 for years (some pics of the game were published at least 2 years before it was released) and it was a deception for me. I found the story much more childish and Final Fantasy-like than the others. It was all the more sad that technically, it's among the best games of the MD.

PS2 is much (much) better storywise. And P3 has more personality, even if it's flawed on almost every aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    That one Alys scene leaves an impact most games on consoles with a greater RPG quantity can't compare to(including FFVII, which is comical by comparison).
    Even on that, PS2 is much better.

So I very recently played through this one again, and usually, like most people that play it, I take Raja for the end game. I decided I want to take Kyra this time around, who's probably the 2nd safest bet, now that I think of it. Difference being that I decided to actually use her as a fighter, as when you use her before, I typically play her like Rune and Raja(shields and using elemental weapons as items for free spells). She actually holds her own during the end game, and actually compliments Wrens Pulse weapons(or more to the point, the Pulse Vulcan). Having played her like I did earlier, I held onto the Moon Slasher so she had 2 for maximum damage at the end. I kind of wonder if I shouldn't have just taken her as she was though, with a Moon & Laco Slasher. Like, would that always guarantee high damage, the same way Rika's Silver Tusk does, considering Laco weapons add radiation damage? Since Runes Shields already keep his defense high, I decided to trade Robes, so Kyra got the Guard Robe, and Rune the Reflect Robe. That gave her a greater chance, and I imagine with shields, would have given her some amazing defense she normally doesn't have. Then again, in that 5th member slot, she didn't seem to be targeted as often anyway. Obviously you get the 2nd best defense shield(Warla), and damn good single target healing(Medice, which also works on Wren). However, she hardly gets any use out of Tandle, and I'm not sure Thunder Claws would make up the difference, so she basically gets relegated to secondary healer. Which isn't so bad, since someone should be using the Guard Rod, so that Rika can save 2/3 on TP by using Sar, to make the equivalent of NaSar. That was only during the 3rd form of the Profound Darkness. I actually had her doing some good damage with 2 Moon Slashers, and Rika's Shift on the first 2 forms.

I never pick up a fifth character and beat the Profound Darkness with just the main four. Whoever is put last in line gets targeted the least. I always equipped two shields on Rune, which would make his defence highest until the very end of the game where Wren surpasses him. Then I think Chaz and Rika are pretty much equal, and whoever is fifth comes last in defence. Medice and Warla are really good and help giving Rika more chances to use her Double Slash.

I don't know, I couldn't imagine not taking a 5th character when the game offers you a choice of 5. Admittedly, they do seem to hardly add anything, but still.

my main gripe with the phantasy star series is the spell and action menu buttons. I wish they were a little more plainly described and straightforward. I never cared for the spell names or the weird icons. I did enjoy this one though.

WCPO Agent

That's true, and it's on my todo list for the remake of the 3rd episode I'll make in a distant future

That said, it wasn't frequent at this era (but Final Fantasy handled it much better).

It was fixed in the PS2 remakes of the first 2 episodes. Too bad they didn't mmake the others...

Well, I've tried the end game with everybody now. I think from easiest to hardest: Raja>Kyra>Hahn>Demi>Gryz. Hahn has some surprising healing power when you get him back, Demi has low HP for the damage droids take, and Gryz, on top of offering no support otherwise, is the most susceptible to the Evil Eye putting him to sleep.

Also, I want to see how this guy gets through the game. I've never thought about playing through it so minimally. He gets to just before the Bio-Plant(Rika) in a little under a half hour.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQOavIlEF_U
    Last edited by midnightrider; 06-18-2017 at 01:11 PM.

I just skip to pick a fifth to add challenge to the final boss.

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Tower of Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Some say it's the best in the series. Some say it's the Genesis RPG best ever made. However you feel about it, there's no denying that Phantasy Star IV is the a monster of a game that sent the original storyline out with one hell of a bang. Read our full review and see why so many people love it so much.
    Looks like the link is broken, this one works: http://www.sega-16.com/2005/06/phant...he-millennium/

9 out of 10 ey? Impressive, but definitely inferior to Super Thunderblade.

Rebel Pizza Raging in the Streets Thief's Avatar

For some reason I wan't that crazy for PSIV when I first played and beat it (but to be fair I just came off a few years hiatus from video games entirely too, so wasn't quite back into gaming yet). Second playthrough blew me away. And third playthrough, after finally playing PS1, knocked me into another stratosphere in how impressed I was.

My fave scene on my third playthrough was what's in Zebbe's avatar. Very cool scene for those who played PS1. Also that moment our hero and the dude in Zebbe's avatar have near the end was pretty touching. That Zebbe dude intro and how he talks to our hero early on is also very cool. Well, basically all scenes with that Zebbe dude are the best.

Thread Information