Quantcast

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millennium

Agreed. I hope I die before they decide to make Phantasy Star V. (I know they will do it someday.)
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    I think it's funny how people beg for more canon Phantasy Star games when PSIV was such an elegant wrapup to the series. You know that a sequel would just butcher the franchise's memory - come on, when what the last time Sega did a good next-gen sequel to an older property?

I'm contented with the existing PS canon.

I agree - and I think that Skies of Arcadia was everything we could have wished for.

Yeah, Skies was a damn good RPG.

I want a Skies sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I want a Skies sequel.
    Don't forget it was announced at last year's SEGA Gamers Day. I'd expect a release this year myself and no later than 2010. Watch it be a Wii game though.

Congrats to PS IV, a true classic:

http://diehardgamefan.com/2011/01/24...ntasy-star-iv/

I remember when I first bought this game back in 97 or 98. Wow jsut wow what a great game. Only Gamefan did this game some justice as far as reviews are concerned. EVerybody else pretty much ripped this game.

10/10 One of my fav ol school rpgs besides Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, Lunar 1 & 2, Ys 1,2,4 (PCE).

This is the best game ever!
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

A word from the game's director:

The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    I remember when I first bought this game back in 97 or 98. Wow jsut wow what a great game. Only Gamefan did this game some justice as far as reviews are concerned. EVerybody else pretty much ripped this game.
    I remember drooling over the preview in Gamefan (it was featured on the cover, I think in early '94). When it FINALLY came out, I took my McDonald's paycheck, cashed it, and went straight to Wal-Mart to pick it up as soon as I could. It came to just about $115 with tax, and I didn't care. It was amazing, and made me forget about my jealous feelings for my SNES-owning friends who were playing Final Fantasy III.

Or did I? Outrunner Vyse of Arcadia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    Yeah, Skies was a damn good RPG.
    Skies was an amazing game.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    Don't forget it was announced at last year's SEGA Gamers Day. I'd expect a release this year myself and no later than 2010. Watch it be a Wii game though.
    Wasn't that an April Fool's joke/unfounded rumor?

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

This game reminded me how fun rpgs can actually be!
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

I haven't played PSIV in a while. I actually managed to get myself a nice CIB copy about a year and a half ago, which I was incredibly pleased with. Before that, I owned a loose copy for years.

I remember back in the day when I was first discovering JRPGs, and I was really bummed that the SNES seemed to have all of them. Sure, there are some good ones on the Genesis, but back then I didn't read gaming mags/forums so my knowledge of its library was pretty limited. It was probably not long after I'd played through Chrono Trigger and FFVI (on a friend's borrowed Super Nintendo), that the box for PSIV caught my eye at a local video rental place. I picked it up, read the blurb on the back proclaiming it to be the most awesomely epic, bad-assed RPG on the Genesis (not in those exact words, of course!) and knew I had to rent it. I took it home and proceeded to play all afternoon. It was really funny because I wanted to stop playing, but I couldn't find any save points. I ended up dying in the dungeon in Gryz' village and since I hadn't saved, all of my progress was gone. I didn't really care, I ended up starting a new game the next day, convinced that I just hadn't gotten to the first save point yet. I ended up having to return the game before I made too much progress, and I don't think I learned that you had to save by accessing the "start" menu until much later when I actually had a copy of my own. Nevertheless, a huge impression had been made. Loved the characters, the music, the graphics, the battle system, the anime/manga cut-scenes... it all blew me away.

Sorry that paragraph is kind of a mess to read. I tend to gush when talking about this game! Anyway, fantastic game. One of the best on the Genesis/Mega Drive for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    If Sega making condoms,I will to one-night-stands in every night~

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

High loud quality playlist finished for this one!

This track has me always made me very close to tearing up because this was actually an RPG I didn't know anything about and played it threw from the start not knowing what I was going to being facing up against later in the game but loved it. It reminds of the traveling and new journeys I had awaiting for me as the group flew up in the stars.

Thread Information